3 favourite waters

chesters1

which are your 3 favourite waters and why?

mine are (first 2 when i was a youth)

1) Horton kirby in kent ,fished there in the late 60`s caught my first double figure carp ,wild days ,wilder nights there was a sense of the unknown.

2)beachborough pond near folkestone ,spent every weekend there friday night taxi there ,late sunday walked back to hawkinge it was all up hill ,i must have been mad.but could those wildies scrap !

3)badshot lea nr farnham ,been fishing there since 1974 ,its a great pond ,lots of fish for all tastes ,if it was a women i`d marry it.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Sanyati Gorge, Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe - home of the vundu & big tigerfish

2. Lake Nasser, Egypt - nile perch and magnificent desolation

3. River Roden near Telford, Shropshire - small river fishing never seeing another person (or sometimes fish!) all day.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

blimey i bet you have to get up early to get the train ,always wanted to catch a mahseer? ,i bought a 15ft mahseer? rod as a youth ,i think it was solid greenheart in my naivety i thought it would be good for float fishing (i couldnt afford a walkers of hythe 16ft kit :( ) it was too heavy i sold it back at a loss .splendid fish ,although i expect the giants the rod was built for have long since been eaten.

when i go fishing "abroad" it means i fish 3 miles away instead of 1 :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1. Mississippi River - since it is over 2300 miles long (3705Km to be precise) for the main river and over 12,350 miles if you include the larger feeder rivers, and well over a mile long in places, it offers just about any sort of freshwater fishing you could want. Huge fish and no one has any idea how many or how large they get.

2. Santee-Cooper Lake in South Carolina. Actually two joined lakes. Lake Marion is the largest lake at 110,000 acres in size. Lake Moultrie is 60,000 acres in size. Holds some huge grass carp and lots of largemouth bass.

3. Can't really pick a specific 3rd choice but have maybe a dozen that I really enjoy. Sizes range from 20 acres up to a few miles long. Many are lakes formed when the Mississippi River channel shifted and are actually sections of old river bed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Limited to carp waters.

1. Missouri, Mississipi rivers.

2. Truman Lake in Mo. 10,000+ miles of shoreline. (Newt can give you a picture)

3. Toledo Bend, TX/LA border. ( I believe Vagabond is going to fish Toledo Bend in May).

The first two are home. Toledo Bend has carp so big you would believe I was telling a fish story. Once saw a monster yellow submarine carp come up and swallow an apple about the size of the average fist. These apples were dropping from a tree near the water. Tried and tried, to no avail. Even used carmel to see if it would be interested in a carmel apple.

I would go back and fish the Yellow River for amur (number 1 foreign water) but can't say it would be in my top 10. No place like home.

Phone

Good thread Chesters - get people talking about fishing for a change! :D

I'm gonna cheat a bit as I really couldn't get it down to 3 !!

1. Kennet (where else!). A close friend since the days of my childhood. From the upper reaches that have graced me with 1lb dace and plump grayling in the winter to the lower stretches within walking distance of my front door. Where on summer evenings after work, I can have a short trip on a whim and can be slipping the net under an 8lb barbel less than 20 minutes after shutting the front door. They are all a joy to know.

2. Itchen - A recent discovery. A beautiful chalk stream containing some (no I'll re-phrase that!) LOTS of huge grayling. A place where you can fish to the point of exhaustion (or at least Repetitive Strain Injury!!)and where you can almost O/D on 2 ponders.

3. Dixons - a small club lake which could have been designed by Mr Crabtree. Small, intimate and reed fringed - the home to a good head of tench and crucians to 3lb and beyond. It is always a thrill to arrive here in the gathering light of a June morning and see the reeds twisting and quivering as the shoals move through the margins. To tackle up with boyish excitement and flick out that first cast with huge expectation of a fish is a joy I will never tire of...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

River Cauvery

Although my biggest Mahseer is only 10 pounds it is stunning and the anticipation is worth the trip alone.

Lough Allen

wild and mysterious that next run could be the one

River severn/ teme

Starting to feel homesick already.

worst place

Stainforth and keadby canal

Not homesick any more

Hi All,

My three are

1 Swan lodge, Bury Lancs, this is were I first

went fishing,holds loads of memories all good

Mum used to bring me my Dinner/Tea on a plate

with a jug of tea I was ten at the time,been waiting for five years to join the club that

has the rights and will be going to get my

membership on Tuesday :D:D:D

2nd

Viaduct Fisheries Somerton, Somerset

Lovely setting on the spring lake I could just sit on the bank and watch the nature around me,

Taught my cousens lads to fish on this lake,loads of fun doing it,I still take them now,both are

20/22 and they respect nature & the fish,

also I cought my first double figure carp this weekend YES :D

3rd

Last but no means least,East Lancs Papermill

lodge, not more than a couple of miles from my house, I was Taught to fish the pole on here by

my Son Christopher, Good Quality fish nice Surroundings to say it is in a builtup area,also

found some good mates here, alas it could be built on in the very near future the Mill has closed down and, the ever present builders are

hovering like vultures, very sad :(:(:(

david

[ 27 April 2002, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: david platt ]

the dreaded builders :( another pond in folkestone i didn`t mention was castle hill pond now under the channel tunnel ,had a superb stock of golden tench and big rudd ,what happened to the fish i dont know we had moved away by then ,another tiny (about 25ft across )was under the cliffs near martello no1 ,caught a small catfish in it of about 3lbs (probably released from an aquarium) no one believed me untill it was caught again a few months later a good little pond ,has disapeared now under a landslip.