another pike question

viney

are you seriously asking what the difference between a blast frozen mackeral and a living pike is?

is it ones blast frozen and the other one isnt?

a little information from many years of incredulous research

what is dead was once alive and what's alive will end up dead ,that's it life and death in a nutshell .if you wish to comfort yourself tack on a "heaven" to the end of yours.

in natural terms for pike there are no frozen mackerel just other pike or fish all until they died ....alive

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...or at least I wonder what moral pathway of thought you took to arrive at your view?

They are both fish, creatures of approximate similar intelligence. (the blast frozen one was alive once too, they are not 'made' like that in the shop, or perhaps you award yourself absolution as you didn't actually have to kill the mackerel? ). the difference between them, apart from the obvious genetics of differing species is the values and attributes placed upon them by humans. One elevated to a special status the other deliberately killed and sold cheaply to be used to catch the former.

I have no personal moral dilemma with catching and killing for eating or for a purpose. Or indeed shooting, as walking a field with my shotgun is my second favourite thing to do.

But in this country, for the most part. We dont coarse fish for the table. We fish for the sport. We fish responsibly for the specimens we wish to catch so we can release them alive for someone else to fish for another day.

Are you saying that if you caught a pike on an artifical bait rather than a natural one, you would be more inclined to take better care of the fish, on the grounds that nothing had to 'give its life' for your catch, so the pike deserves to live? Strange....

gone

careful your just nudging the angling paradox ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Topics about pike fishing always go weird don't they.

The difference between a dead mackeral and a living pike is that the pike is part of the dynamic ecosystem of the lake or river in which it lives. Remove it, and you change the predator/prey balance.

You might say something similar about the mackeral, but that's a different topic.

If you're fishing deliberately for food, that's one thing. If you're killing pike through ignorance or laziness that's quite another. Some people have the skills and experience to fish for pike while doing something else, others do not.

Finally, if you're teaching someone to fish, I would suggest that's all you do. If you try to fish as well you'll feel like your day's fishing has been ruined, and your 'pupil' will not get much of your attention as you'll be trying to do two things, both badly.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Are you saying that if you caught a pike on an artifical bait rather than a natural one, you would be more inclined to take better care of the fish, on the grounds that nothing had to 'give its life' for your catch, so the pike deserves to live? Strange....

Don't invent a statement and ascribe it to me (and summarise it as strange) when I have said nothing of the sort. The pike caught on an artificial, of which over 90% of mine are, would recieve no different care than one who took a fish. That the mackerel and thier ilk die for my pleasure causes not a minute of sleeplessness, for such is the lot of these fishes (along with being eated by larger fishes). For my pleasure I impose upon pike (and sometimes other fish) to take my baits then writhe, lunge and leap on my line. Such is the lot of pike. However I have (to my honest knowledge) killed only one pike these past two decades, and eager jack to came to hand suspended soundly by a lure in his gills, and example of how a fish's encounter with an angler may prove to be fatal no how well intended the latter may be.

I don't need to interfere with the pike nor the mackerel from going about their business, but do because I wan't to, I like it, were they given the choice mackerel would opt not to be blast frozen, and pike not to be hauled out of their world in which they reign supreme, into my world where I (we humans) do.

Throw up as many smokescreens as you wish, but hypocracy will be revealed by it's enormity and shape, well to those who dare to look anyway. You treat species A differently from species B based upon the values, qualities and worth placed upon each by humans. An angler once said to me 'at our club the welfare of the fish is paramount'...if that were really the case they would give up fishing and leave the fish alone.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Topics about pike fishing always go weird don't they.

The difference between a dead mackeral and a living pike is that the pike is part of the dynamic ecosystem of the lake or river in which it lives. Remove it, and you change the predator/prey balance.

In a nutshell.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Don't invent a statement and ascribe it to me (and summarise it as strange) when I have said nothing of the sort. The pike caught on an artificial, of which over 90% of mine are, would recieve no different care than one who took a fish. That the mackerel and thier ilk die for my pleasure causes not a minute of sleeplessness, for such is the lot of these fishes (along with being eated by larger fishes). For my pleasure I impose upon pike (and sometimes other fish) to take my baits then writhe, lunge and leap on my line. Such is the lot of pike. However I have (to my honest knowledge) killed only one pike these past two decades, and eager jack to came to hand suspended soundly by a lure in his gills, and example of how a fish's encounter with an angler may prove to be fatal no how well intended the latter may be.

I don't need to interfere with the pike nor the mackerel from going about their business, but do because I wan't to, I like it, were they given the choice mackerel would opt not to be blast frozen, and pike not to be hauled out of their world in which they reign supreme, into my world where I (we humans) do.

Throw up as many smokescreens as you wish, but hypocracy will be revealed by it's enormity and shape, well to those who dare to look anyway. You treat species A differently from species B based upon the values, qualities and worth placed upon each by humans. An angler once said to me 'at our club the welfare of the fish is paramount'...if that were really the case they would give up fishing and leave the fish alone.

very well put Emma I'm with you on this one however i do use dead bait on some occasions not live bait it's (Illegal) in Scotland

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

are you seriously asking what the difference between a blast frozen mackeral and a living pike is?

iv'e heard they both taste like :secret:CHICKEN :whistling:

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Yes...or at least I wonder what moral pathway of thought you took to arrive at your view?

They are both fish, creatures of approximate similar intelligence. (the blast frozen one was alive once too, they are not 'made' like that in the shop, or perhaps you award yourself absolution as you didn't actually have to kill the mackerel? ). the difference between them, apart from the obvious genetics of differing species is the values and attributes placed upon them by humans. One elevated to a special status the other deliberately killed and sold cheaply to be used to catch the former.

I'm with Emma on this one.

I could catch a six ounce roach and kill it for bait, only I wouldn't. In general perhaps morally acceptable, but eventually it could have been someone else's two pounder. A question of respect. Respect as in respecting the quarry of other anglers.

Pike anglers, of which I am one, demand that others return pike alive. Perhaps roach anglers should demand that us pikers return roach alive, and not tethered to a snap-tackle.

Agreed Peter, perhaps we should be a bit more vocal? By the way, nice to hear from you again :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic