Why do you fish.

John Ellison

I have clocked up 42 years as angler and the most pleasurable aspect of the sport for me is, I've made some very good friends out of it.

If others want trophies, photo's, fame, record fish, to be Number 1, that's fine by me.

For me there is nothing I like better than being in decent company on the bank, be it canal, river, carp pond, at sea, it doesn't matter!

I've some great memories of what I've done and more of my mates antics as well. And of course, having a beer together you discuss your success/lack of it and we're all better people because of it. I fish alone, of course I do but I much prefer a bit of decent company! All fellow anglers, I salute you.

Eeeeeeeeeee older I get the better I was.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

good company on the bank is a great thing, i agree. but i also like the solitude i get when i'm exploring a river or lake, on my own (or with my dog). i like the feeling of secrecy you get when you make a discovery of a new swim, or catch a large fish, when no-one knew they were there.

my job can be quite stressfull, involving a lot of intense concentration, or accidents can happen. not having to worry about what others are doing, is probably the best thing for me.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I love being by the waterside and fishing gets me away from the stressfull side of life.

I too agree about good company whilst fishing to share the joy of the hobby we love.

Give me a june morning by a water lilly filled pond and Tench bubbles dimpling the surface by my quill float and i am in heaven.

It dont get much better than that.

I'm with Dunk, except for safety reasons in a boat, I don't like fishing in the next swim to anyone. I find on the wild waters I fish that most of the time 2 anglers fishing together means that less is caught by either.

However, I do like to fish as part of a group so that we can compare notes. But this is done before and after fishing. This is one of the fastest ways to learn, plus I've also made a lot of wonderful friends this way.

Unfortunately, because I'm retired and fish midweek, whilst my friends work and have to fish weekends, I'm normally on my own. Additionally, there seem to be less non-carp specimen hunters like me about these days, especially in my area.

So why to I fish?

I suppose the obvious reason is that I love nature, and fishing takes us into intimate contact with other creatures. I'll leave it to others better at writing than me to wax all lyrical about the countryside.

I also like a challenge. For me the fishing has to be a little difficult otherwise I lose interest.

Mind you, sometimes it can get too difficult! That's when a trip to a familiar water can be a confidence booster, let alone a place to try new ideas.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I fish because i cant think of anything better to do and because i still havent found a better form of the adrenalin buzz that i get from it.Im getting the trembles from just writing this and this is still after 22 years

The question "why do you fish?" to me is akin to asking "why do you breathe/eat/drink/(censored :D )/sleep/hunt/shoot/post on A.N ?"

Answer,to all of the above "Because that's my nature"

If I had been born 20,000 years earlier (and plenty of people think I was ), I suppose I would have been a hunter of mammoths.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...