casting with centerpin reels

ANDREW PAUL

First off - try a search on here in the coarse section using wallis cast and take a look at the 25 or so threads that show up. All are partly or completely centerpin related.

Then try

http://www.floatfishing.ca/

Angling With the Centerpin Reel by M.A.Roe ( :D cheers Alan)

Several of the links from Here

And any UK folk who thought you were the only ones doing much with centerpin reels, many of the links on here are to US/Canadian "float fishing" sites. And guess what reel we use for "float fishing"? :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Some of you may be interested to read how the Wallis cast was described by the man himself though Wallis called it the Nottingham Cast.

This extract by Wallis is from the 1930's book 'Fine Angling for Coarse Fish'.

“...the rod, has the reel fixed 10in. in from the butt and is firmly held in the right hand by the first three fingers and thumb, leaving the little finger free to act as a very delicate brake or check on the top rim of the reel. The tackle is held by the fingers of the left hand, the thumb being looped over the line from the reel. The rod is now brought forward and nearly horizontal and parallel with the left shoulder, the little finger of the right hand holds the reel in check; the rod is now brought forward with a firm but easy sweep, and at the same time the line is pulled off the reel backwards to the full extent of the left arm. The momentum contributed by the swing of the rod propels the float forward quicker than the eye can follow, the little finger of the right hand has released the drum of reel and at the psychological moment the line running over the thumb of left hand is brought forward, down goes the little finger on the reel as the cast is completed and the float alights on the water 100ft away. Of course timing of this cast must be as accurate as that of a six-cylinder engine in a motor-car, but once mastered is simplicity itself. The best methods for the learner to adopt being to follow the above suggestions and get just a few yards away to begin with, then to add an extra yard or two every time until the full distance is attained.”

OK - got that? - The book has 3 plates which help a little but it's no wonder Alan Roe made a video!

Chris

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

If I've read that correctly it would mean that Mr Wallis was one of those back to front anglers,casting with the rod in the right hand but playing a fish with the rod in the left hand and then winding with the right hand.

At least I don't see how else the little pinky on the right hand can control the reel unless the reel is fitted to the rod with the back of the reel to the left and the handles (if any) to the right.

the essential element of the Wallis cast ie the dropping of the weighted line whilst casting (horizontally is usually best) can also be made with the fixed spool. The fixed spool casts seem to always suffer with the heavier lines used. Hence the mad overhead wang it out technique. the fixed spool lacks the finesse of the centrepin, but I didnt want people to be discouraged from giving it a go.

Tip of the week... watch out for the hook :D

"Muddlin' along"

Just for the sake of anyone who might be wanting to learn how to cast or use the Centerpin reel or simply to improve on where they are at presently.

There are three of the best Wallis casters in the country and they all have the same first name.....Alan the surnames are Tompkins , Marshall and modesty forbids the name of the last

They have all got together and decided to put on a days event next June.........

The venue has been donated and will be announced early in the new year........

All will be welcome though it will be expected that a modest voluntary donation to charity would be proffered by attendees the plan is that this be split between Second Chance and the ACA though this has yet to be tidied up.

Children and young people must be accompanied by and appropriate parent or guardian.

There is a manufacturer who will be present and who will gladly display his wares. I am due to review on of his reels soon.....Watch this space.

A full formal announcement will be made across the angling sites about this event at the appropriate time but it will be a good do!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Alan Roe:

There are three of the best Wallis casters in the country and they all have the same first name.....Alan the surnames are Tompkins , Marshall and modesty forbids the name of the last

No no Alan... my first name is Glenn... :D

I started putting a video together at the weekend. A downloadable-to-play-on-your-computer video, which I hope to finish this weekend. It's an introduction to the Wallis Cast based on the method Mr. Roe taught me (he's above average, you know! :) ). Starring a well known actor (er... me), it goes into type of reel choice, setup for practice casting, and a demonstration of the cast.

It's looking pretty good, so hopefully somebody will be good enough to host it for me so interested people can download it. I didn't realise how embarrasing it is standing in front of a camera talking to yourself...!

I should add that having a good teacher to actually show you the finer art is so much better than just learning from a book or a video. And practice makes perfect (well, so I'm told!)

[ 04. November 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: spindle ]