strange fish

Gray-Catchpole

hi all went out to sevenoaks with Gary and Dai Fish yesterday, had a good day, dia had a nice carp, i ended up with six, lost loads, gary also had a good day landing some nice carp, but, we caught some strange fish, what do you think

this tench had almost no face, really blunt headed

tench.jpg

and this carp that gary had, not only two tone but a very wierd shape altogether

garydaviescarp.jpg

but then also some lovely fish like these, nice one Dai

daicarp.jpg

then this lovely long lean one later in the evening

longcarp.jpg

cheers nick.

[ 18 June 2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Gray-Catchpole ]

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two could be caused by a genetic abnormality or some kind of poisoning when young (one pond treatment I use can cause skeletal abnormalities in orf if too much is used, for eg). Do you (or anyone else) fish this lake often? If so, are deformed fish like this common?

They are all good sizes though, well done :D

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

no not really john, but they are getting more and more lip deformaties, and in my opinion this is from barbless hooks, i really am going of them.

drogon, i did use it, i had a great day, if it hadnt been for me (messing up) i would have landed around 15 fish(carp) as it was i had six, the tench love it too.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

probably when the lake was stocked at some time the fish were from the " bargain bin " at a price the person couldnt refuse ,a lot of the deformities could have been caused by chronic overstocking at a young age.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Gray and all

I spoke to the owner recently about the number of fish with lip deformaties etc, and it seems that thay had a lot of Carp from the Talygarn lakes, I think thay became unfishable due to the amount of silt, and I know that a lot of clubs were offered the water but none felt it viable, well aparently there were an awful lot of carp with mouth problems in these, the coarse lake has not been open all that long, we did talk about putting any carp that I caught with such problems in to the Trout lake where thay would not be fished for, June and Terry the owners do everything in thier power to ensure the well being of the fish in thier lakes, I for one am always stoped on my way out and asked what I have caught and if there were any problems with the fish.

Gray I was there again today and did as badly as yesterday (same swim) and the guy on the next peg (Gary's) was catching small carp and rudd all day just like Gary did yesterday

I think it's a great Tench...its well fat so it isnt having problems eating.I think the world needs more Tench like this.And that Carp!...that looks like 2 fish glued together...brilliant...I wish I caught oddballs like them.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The tench is showing the type of snub-nosed deformity typical of some hatchery-reared fish. It is often associated with a condition known as 'pinched gills', where the gill cover does not completely cover the gill filaments.

These deformities occur early in life - probably as a consequence of a dietary deficiency - but they are usually fatal in naturally-bred fish. In a hatchery, however, the fish can be kept alive. Good fish suppliers will remove and destroy such fish at an early stage in their lives.

The two-tone condition on the carp is caused by a malfunction of its camouflage system. Some scientists have speculated that it arises as a result of brain damage caused by disease; others believe that the condition is determined genetically.

In both cases, however, the condition is irreversible.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'