The Use of a Rod-rest is illegal in Scotland

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stram´ash

v. t. 1. To strike, beat, or bang; to break; to destroy.

n. 1. A turmoil; a broil; a fray; a fight

an uproar; a state of noise and confusion

Must be a Scottish word. :blink:

Are rod rests really banned or is it simply because it was obvious he left them propped up an a branch unnattended?

Are rod rests really banned or is it simply because it was obvious he left them propped up an a branch unnattended?

As far as I am aware 'Fixed Engines' are banned.

If you put a rod down, it becomes a 'fixed engine' or set line.

(Helps to keep the riff-raff away so that the fly-chuckers can fish in peace).

I know that this has been a bone of contention in the past, and that coarse angling interests have had some discussions, but I don't know what the latest position is.

From the Scottish Government website:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Fisherie...arse/17380/8700

The definition of rod and line as given in the 1951 Act is "single rod and line with such bait or lure as is lawful at the passing of this Act and, in the case of fishing for salmon in an area to which and at a time during which regulations made under section 8 of the Salmon Act 1986 apply, is not specified in such regulations in respect of that area and time."

This causes practical difficulties for coarse anglers.

The prohibition of the use of set lines, which was first enacted in the Fisheries (Scotland) Act 1860, was retained by the 1951 Act.

Common practices in angling for coarse fish include 'ledgering', where a bait or baits are fished using a weighted line, the rod being set on a rod rest.

It can be usual for coarse anglers to set several lines when fishing for coarse fish.

The courts have determined that laying down a rod and leaving it supported on a rock or stone constitutes fishing with a set line.

This would apply equally to the use of a rod rest. Thus, anyone who fishes for coarse fish in Scotland using accepted methods for that branch of the sport runs the risk of being charged with fishing illegally.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Could have done without the comment about fly chuckers and riff raff. I fish both methods up here and have never experienced any derogatory comments in either direction.

Apart from that it is technically illegal to fish with more than one rod or to place the rod (s) in a rod rest. The rule is "one rod, in the hand"

This has nothing to do with coarse anglers, it is to prevent fixed lines being set to poach Salmon and sea trout.

Any bailiff I have met, and I know a few, would take the common sense view that you are obviously fishing for coarse fish, using a method appropriate to your quarry and I have never heard of anyone fishing appropriately having a problem.

Interestingly, this guy was not coarse fishing. and Loch Lochy is not a recognised coarse fishing Loch.

There are some Scottish "anglers" who will fish for Salmon or Trout with inappropriate tackle and methods and will leave rods out with little or no form of bite indication and absolutely no intention of returning any fish caught.

I was walking up the River Dochart, where it joins Loch Tay on Sunday evening when we came across exactly this sort of set up. A short fibreglass spinning rod, a half filled fixed spool reel, about 20lb breaking strain line, a ledger and a large hook with a bunch of worms. The rod was wedged in some rocks and there was no sign of the angler. While I was checking it out for him the hook accidentally got cut off before I recast it.

I am fairly sure that these sorts of tactics would (and should) be illegal anywhere in the UK.

It seems that in this case the guy was warned half an hour earlier and chose to ignore the warnings

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

could also attracting a fish with lights be construed as a lure with an led?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Have often though that a return to a single rod, if not a rod in hand, would be a very positive move for British anglers. Don't expect many of you to agree with me though!

Well, here's one who does!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thats an interesting line and a bit Mr Waller. If that law came to pass I don't think it would really affect my fishing at all unless it applied to beach fishing where I use two on a tripod. I agree in essence but then a pair of rods used by an experienced and responsible angler is fine by me. But then how you be able to would test aptitude? Tricky.

I've seen enough rods in pods wandered off and left for a social to see the error. I've also seen quite a few terribly deep hooked Pike from un-attended baits.

I am a regular coarse fisherman, and I myself am in Scotland. Glasgow to be precise.

There is a spot on the canal i regularly fish that has a few pontoons jutting out into the basin, and on the pontoon are boat moorings.

More often than not i find 20lb line with size 10 hooks baited with maggot or worm attached to the moorings, and were talking about 20 moorings.

From my understanding and local knowledge, the certain minority of the eastern European population have been setting these fixed lines to catch their dinner!

Correct me if i am wrong but this is highly illegal and completely insensitive to the local wildlife, be it fish or mammal/bird.

Currently there is a swan with a length of this line attached to it's beak/throat due to this, despite efforts of the RSPCA trying to catch it.

Before I start getting pelters about pointing the finger at eastern european folk, i would like to point out that a) i have been asked by this minority of people why I return my catch, and can they have my catch to take home B) my mate who is Albanian himself almost threw the guy into the canal for the comment.

I would say this is a illegal method of catching fish and hopefully the 1951 Act will help prosecute those responsible.