Taking a coarse fish for the pot

tiddlertamer

if i wanted to eat exotic gravy i would go to a restaurant ,i did once in 1972 i didn't like exotic gravy spoiling my dinner so have never bothered again ,if i liked generous helpings of phlegm and sweat i perhaps would again

if i wanted a plate of spuds i would just eat a plate of spuds ,if i wanted to eat a plate of spuds tasting nothing like spuds because its got exotic gravy all over it and costing £57 i would do that in a restaurant surely

if i wanted to spoil good food i would employ a chef to make it taste ike something its not ,i dont i want spuds or haddock or cabbage in piles separate so they don't impinge on their neighbour not covered in exotic gravy and made to all taste the same

some people enjoy "eating" some enjoy "eating" European style ,i eat food and quickly because i dont like wasting time having it prepared or the stupid rituals some have stuffing it down their necks.food to me is food nothing more you eat or you die why confuse life making a song and dance over it with gravy

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sauce....exotic.....lol. I bet you think custard is exotic.

It doesn't all have to bring out a sweat. All white sauces for fish are based on butter, flour and milk...hardly going to make anyone sweat and the Italians and Spanish mostly use tomatoes, which again are hardly going to give you a thirst for beer.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

custards ok but next to the pud never over it ,i will eat one bit at a time why spoil one with the other.

steamed fish for me nothing on it but pepper or nicely wrapped in batter and sold in a cardboard box with a serving suggestion looking like chips and peas :D

i could employ the best chef in the country but if i insisted he boiled potatoes for x minutes with no gravy and none of these poxy herbs etc (pepper ok) you wouldn't be able to tell the difference to mine ,chefs ruin food full stop

if chefs got to their status merely by inventing (or probably combining) exotic sauces to bugger up food then serve it in portions mice could wolf down in a second after slopping the gravy all over it i'm not falling for it for one second!, i could do that accidentally knocking over barbecue sauce and chilly sauce into the slop

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Again.....I most definitely win.

You like pepper you say. Where abouts in England is that grown? I was absolutely certain that was a one of those Indian spices you hated so much. In fact, I'm so sure of it, I'm going to pat myself on the head.

You're just talking for the sake of talking now. Love it.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

not sure i mentioned indian spices ,my pepper comes from water lane farnham not india!

pepper as you noted is the only flavouring i use ,i would eat pepper by itself i like it ,but of course it doesn't disguise anything unlike chefs who love the whole herb gamut to hide bad cooking ,as i said if i wanted to eat spuds i would eat spuds not spuds and exotic gravy but "chefs" are seemingly unable to do anything without covering everything in the stuff probably to hide the fact their not that good because the foods taste is hidden away ;)

if i went to a posh restaurant and demanded a plate of spud then i would expect just that not a lot to ask is it? if i want arse disguised as elbow surely i would order just elbow or is that to hard?

the thread was about one for the pot ,most people dont because freshwater fish isnt to their taste ,yes you can hide the fact away it is freshwater fish with exotic gravy but why not just eat the exotic gravy if its strong enough to hide the taste of the fish?.

most people dont want to they prefer sea fish and most of all cod and haddock because they want to ,let the gravy eaters eat gravy

even in 1909 carp were not liked as i showed in my link by the 1950's freshwater fish was mainly sold in small amounts to immigrants or their descendants perhaps because they liked it but i would imagine because its a cultural thing for fridays ,if they LIKE it good for them going by the decline in freshwater availability the majority do not,simple

if the prefer cod or haddock its because they want to or dont like exotic gravy hiding the fact its not what they prefer and is another fish ,my old man like bloody rock salmon no-one else i know did :rolleyes: he ate it we ate cod or haddock we didnt stop him eating it we preferred cod or haddock and i still do! he being a bit dead stopped eating it years ago.

something is about that tastes very similar to cod and haddock and people will buy it because it tastes like cod or haddock ,i presume they dont like to pay the cod and haddock premium the seller gets for cheaper fish but its bought because it tastes nice to the buyer the very reason cod and haddock are

Edited by chesters1

Depends on the restaurant. I worked in The Rogano, among other famous places, which has been the serving fish and just about anything else, since 1935. It didn't get it's reputation by smothering perfectly good food in crap. If you wanted a plate of spuds with pepper on it, that's what I'd give you and no bones about it. I'd do my best to make sure they were the best potatoes I could serve though. That to me is what being a chef is.

Sounds like you have a low opinion of chefs. I don't do small portions or Nouvelle Quisine, even though I can. I do good food. I like to feed people.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

no problem with chefs theres plenty out there prepared to pay big bucks for nothing more than prestige in others eyes but i prefer the home grown cheap spuds with only the Mrs phlegm or sweat no doubt without it spuds wouldn't taste like spuds in our house :D

i like it cool so i stay far from hot kitchens and all that naughty swearing and gravy ,come on food pills so we can eat in a second!

Edited by chesters1

Will you marry me Poach? :D

Depends. How rich are you and who's the plug and who's the socket?

This has gone right down the pan.... :o

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Depends. How rich are you and who's the plug and who's the socket?

"plug"? "socket"? Jeeze your an electrician as well as a chef! You can re wire the house between meals! :wub:

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!