Drennan Bolt Rig Feeders

DavyR

These are described as "ideal for all types of river fishing for Barbel and Chub etc".

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/drennan_...ig_feeders.html

Used in conjunction with the recommended 2-4" hooklengths, I can't get over the feeling that fish are more likely to be spooked by such close proximity to the feeder.

When using a conventional feeder, I usually go for a hooklength of 12-18".

Anyone successfully used these?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used in conjunction with the recommended 2-4" hooklengths, I can't get over the feeling that fish are more likely to be spooked by such close proximity to the feeder.

Not at all look at how fish will actually attack full feeders. Brilliant for Barbel. and Ive used a similar set up in still water as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've used a bolt rig with this sort of feeder for tench:

feeder.jpg

The Drennan thing is just the same idea with their oval bodied feeders, no? I would imagine this would work just as well for barbel as it does for tench; when barbel on somewhere like the Severn have their heads down, they will nudge the feeder, so I should imagine a very short hooklink would work OK.

Not ideal for chub I'd have thought - too big and splashy, and short hooklengths and semi fixed rigs will cost you fish.

I tried those Drennan ones for tench last season, hoping they'd be a way to stop using PVA stocking. They did work, but in a side wind they catch the wind very badly, meaning accurate casting is very hard. So I gave up on them and went back to the PVA.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have found those feeders great for stillwater bream but prefer the running version for the river coupled with a two foot+ hooklength. I have caught an awful lot of barbel on that setup.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Not used them myself. A late friend of mine, Vic Gillings, used bolt rigs for barbel fishing with great success some years ago. I remember he wrote an article for David Halls mag I think it was.

Let us know how you get on.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Not used them myself. A late friend of mine, Vic Gillings, used bolt rigs for barbel fishing with great success some years ago. I remember he wrote an article for David Halls mag I think it was.

Let us know how you get on.

lyn

I dont half miss Vic Lyn. Ive only been back to Claydon once since he died and it just wasnt the same without him.He was allways urging me to write but I never did.If ever I can get off my arse and put pen to paper with something worth reading I will dedicate it to him.

Sorry about the quick reminisce Dave! Back to "bolt feeders" for Barbel.First though let me say that my personal knowledge /experience of barbel is very narrow compared to a lot on here!

As I don't get the opportunity (never really have) to fish regular for them when I do go I tend to fish for "as many as possible" rather than selecting venues/tactics etc for just a biggie.As such Ive used a match anglers approach.This usually entails banging maggot and hemp through a feeder. Regardless of if I'm only fishing one rod at a time or two I allways have one set up with a standard feeder (on a loop rig but I don't want to start the safe/fixed rig debate) with a hook length of around 18" and another with an "in line feeder" and a 4"-6" nook length.Everything else is the same.

I start of with the "long link" rig and once you start catching I carry on with this until the bite rate slows down a bit (note I say slows not stops) This is often because the fish have got in such a frenzy they have moved right up to the feeder to intercept the maggots as soon as they come out not that they have gone off the feed! If the catch rate stops I go back to the "long rig" as they some times drop back once they are nearly full but you can still get the odd one or two more. That and regular and accurate casting are the key.

Don't know if it works the same with big (meat/boilie/pellet) baits or for bigger (8lb+) barbel but its caught me some great bags.

Interesting what Anderoo says about Chub as Ive never really caught that many whilst barbel fishing this way.Maybe explains it?

I've used them and had excellent results. I usually use a method feeder though and have had some great results with chub and barbel. I normally use a braid hooklength of between 3 and 6 inch long. When the fish start attacking the method ball causing the rod tip to bounce about you know the baitrunner will soon start screeming out. You can make a bolt rig out of any feeder or weight by using float stops behind the feeder/weight. You can instantly change it to a running set up by moving the foat stop back up the line.