Barbel rods, Carp rods, Pike rods, Chub rods. Does anyone actually own a rod for each

Rykko

Hi there, I guess you are reasonably new to fishing. To answer your question then I would say that most people here would have far more than 15 rods if they fish for many different species.

Over the years fishing for many different species I have collected:

3 Pike rods

3 Carp

2 Tench/bream

4 lure fishing

3 Poles

2 whips

2 Quivers

2 match float

3 beachcasters

3 sea boat

2 uptide

2 fly fishing

4 telscopics

thats what I have and use at the moment, plus ive sold another dozen over the years.

There is the odd rod there that will be able to be used for other species or other situations but its better using the right gear.

Rods are tools, you cant have to many, you wouldnt want to take your car engine apart with just an adjustable spanner, would you?

Scott.

i have a pair of carp rods of 2lb tc

a pair of carp rods of 3lb tc i only use for pike

and a few float rods they suit all the fishing i do

i usually only use i float rod all season (although i carry a spare) people that walk round with a bag full of rods are desperate or very strong :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What prompted the question was a combination of articles in the angling press, and the likes of Matt Hayes & John Wilson on TV. I can understand pro anglers having more rods than a dog has fleas but they seem to imply that everyone will have such-and-such a rod for this situation and such-and-such a rod for that situation. I currently own my old 13 foot Shakespeare (hollow glass, weighs a ton :( )that I've had for the last 20 years, a John Wilson 12 foot float rod bought around 8 years ago, a 12 foot quiver rod of same vintage and I've just ordered a pair of 12 foot carp rods which I'll also be using for pike later in the season.

remember that the big names dont have to buy their own tackle :D

i was looking through an old repair manual of about the 1930`s under painting the recomended different (not size) paintbrushes were about 30 how many different brushes do we use now :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My general rule - if the gear I have is fun to use for the sort of fishing I am doing, good. If not and I really want to keep on with that sort of fishing, I get specialized gear.

Since I think a number of us go through phases with fishing, we may very well have picked up specialized gear at various points in time and it doesn't go bad so you accumulate after a few years.

My collection isn't so much species-specific as you mentioned but is certainly rig specific. Lures mostly. And I am occasionally amazed at the number of rods/reels I see in the garage.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I disagre that big names don't have to buy their own tackle. It's not true in every case. Matt Hayes is sponsored by Fox at the moment, previously Shimano. He would probably use these products whoever thay came from. It's the same in some cases, but not all.

The only anglers who get their tackle free all the time, are the ones who are willing to really PUSH the product, all the time. It may seem that some get it this way, but I know that there are quite a few who feature regularly, who will praise an item because of it's virtues, not because it's a freebie.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Hi Rykko

personaly think you only need what your gonna use.

i've got 1 13'waggler rod,1 12'waggler for tenching,1 feeder rod,1 quiver tip,1 14mtr pole,1 7mtr whip & 1 2lb tc carp rod. these are more than enough for my needs & anyway what with bank sticks,brolly&2 different length landing net poles my holdall is heavy enough :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL - Alan, I have more numbers than you do but I think you have me soundly beaten for total length of fishing tools.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I do have a fairly big assortment of rods and reels for fishing for Roach through to Catfish and Mahseer.I do,however,use some of these for other species,ie.Carp rods I use for Pike,

uptiders for sea and Mahseer.

Similarly I use reels to suit both the rods and the type of fishing.

Yes I`m sure I could manage with less gear(as my wife keeps telling me)but fishing successfully has a lot to do with confidence and having a feel for things.I`m sure I wouldn`t feel quite so confident using Carp rods to catch monster Catfish or if you want extremes uptiders for Roach.Yes I`m sure they could catch fish but it wouldn`t feel the same.