chub bait

riverlover

Before I answer, a plea. Please don't use mobile phone abbreviations - many of us older folk struggle with them and it also puts us off reading the posts.

More than any other fish chub will eat almost anything. In other words the bait is even less important than with other species. What is important with chub is not spooking them.

Chub have big mouths and so I prefer to use big baits. That way I can use tackle heavy enough to land them from the snaggy places where the specimens often live. My favourites in the summer are natural baits such as lobworms and slugs. I also do very well on whitebait, especially on the more heavilly fished waters.

In winter I substitute the slugs for bread, especially flake and crust. These are more buoyant and enable you to drift baits into the exact position.

I don't go along with the conventional wisdom of small baits in very cold weather. My experience is quite the opposite. For the reasons, have a look at my piece in the artcles section on fishing in freeze ups.

The one time I do use small baits like maggots for chub is in very mild spells in winter. Then I like to get out the trotting gear and have some fun. However, this tends to mean I miss out on the biggest chub, but the compensate is often a big bag, including other species.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Chub(like most fish) will eat just about anything.

If you are feeling flush and want to really work up a swim then go for hemp&caster or maggots.

If you just want to be in with a chance then bread takes some beating.

If you want to fish lots of swims with just hookbaits and a few freebies then cheesepaste or luncheon meat is good(and bread).

Quite honestly, with chub, the world is your lobster; anything goes.

If you are thinking of doing the roving aproach try these baits all freelined

Slugs-big black ones

Lobworms-the bigger the better

Floating Crust

Meat-any kind

Cheese paste-the smellier the better

I've had success on all these when i have been roving on the upper River Tees,the biggest i've had is 5 1/2lb :D:D

Hi rl

i've got to agree with the other guys but am surprised nobody mentioned Wasp Grub.

last friday i fished the Bain near conningsby in lincs i caught chub up to a pound n half on anything i put in front of them but i did catch my PB 5lb 4oz chub on double caster :D:D