Playing fish with two hands on the rod

WickerDave

Thank you Peter for a clear and concise answer to a simple and LOGICAL question.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter W, that Theory is in fact a Hypothesis and is totally unproven. What was proven by Dick Walker, using very accurate measuring instruments was that on a round section glass fibre rod there was no significant "ovality" or "flattening" up until the tube started to burst apart.

The bursting was usually observed as the result of the resins crumbling under compression.

Of course if you rest the rod against a hard object like the side of a boat or a pier then you can expect it to break at this point, but we are talking finger/palm pressure here.

Modern resins and carbon fibres are so strong that it is almost impossible to cause this effect under fishing conditions (not counting tip sections of course, we are talking Butt sections here).

Andy, I may be a smartarse, but I am a very experienced smartarse and all my experience, and, you may note, the experience of others like Budgie and Lee confirm that :D

Den.

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Peter Waller:

Or change TV channels with a remote control!

Come over to the Dark Side young SkyWaller!

Tery :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

That's all very well Poledark but I fail to see why you'd furnish Peter with a full length explanation but not me, when you understood the question perfectly. Instead, you decide to take the **** and make my question look stupid when in actual fact, you know quite a lot about it. If you can't be bothered answering a question, then don't but don't make me an object for your ridicule.

[ 05. April 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Can you understand that?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Loosen the drag a bit, Andy mate.

Den's not the vindictive sort, after all. Brothers of the angle and all that.

I mean, we're even nice to the PIKE boys these days!

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I'm as chirpy as the next bloke :) I only asked :confused: Sorry for wasting his valuable time.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Bruno Broughton:

Didn't any of you do physics at school?

The falcrum (point of balance) on a rod when playing a fish is at the tip. The longer the 'lever', the more pressure you have to apply to achieve the same force at the falcrum. The 'lever' is the point of force in relation to the falcrum.

At least, that's how I seem to remember it.

It's no poser-stuff to put one hand up the rod - thereby shortening the 'lever' - and pulling. I have watched people playing big fish by hanging onto the (butt) end of a 13-foot rod, claiming "I couldn't stop the fish". Place a hand half way up the rod and pull - easy peasy. Shorter lever = greater force = controlled fish.

All levers have three elements Fulcrum, load and effort.

A first order lever the fulcrum is in the middle (standard lever).

A second order lever the load is in the middle (think of prising the top off a beer bottle - the effort is at the end where you are pulling, the load is in the middle where the opener catches under the cap).

A third order lever the effort is in the middle, fulcrm at one end load at the other.

No matter how you look at it, the load, and *not* the fulcrum, on a fishing rod is at the tip. If the butt is jammed against your body (or in a butt cap) it would form a third order lever. Load at the tip, effort where your hands are and fulcurm at the butt.

This means that moving your hand up the rod means the efort is over a longer length (remember moments - force x length?), so more force on the tip.

How on earth anyone who calls themselves a scientist can think that shorter lever = greater force is beyond me. Which university let you in - didn't they insist on O level physics??????

"Shorter lever = greater force = controlled fish. "

Does this mean that all tournament casters would achieve greater distances with five foot rods?

After all, the shorter the lever, the greater the force.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.