Fishing in a gale

tiddlertamer

I was going to say that the reason I've never really liked the method is because it's not visual.

That's one of the reasons I like touch legering. You don't have to be continually looking at a quivertip and so you can look at the wildlife etc. You can also rest your eyes, which is particularly important after dark when staring at a quivertip can be even more tiring than during the day.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily I don't suffer from cold hands so the weather is rarely a problem for me. .

Neither did I once, but just wait until you are the wrong side of 75 mate ! :):):)

... it has been an interesting thread, and if one or two discover the joys of touch-legering as a result, (whether you use one or two hands) will have been well worthwhile.

Life before bolt-rigs wasn't all bad........

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Supplementing the the consiserable amount of information, knowledge, experience and advice that has already been given on the subject of touch legering, the links below are well worth a read if you are intersted in this technique

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fishing/featur...owto/14537.html

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fishing/featur...owto/12914.html

Yes, the second article in particular conveys exactly what touch legering is all about. Thanks for the links.

RNLI Governor

A big thank you to everybody for all their answers to my questions. (special thanks to Vagabond for such a detailed response.) Illuminating stuff.

Two more questions.

Is a good old fashioned drilled bullet a good weight for use when touch ledgering?

And if using an Avon rod, (I'm currently using a five piece John Wilson Avon Rovex rod) should you leave a sensitive quiver tip end on, or a normal light float tip on?

On the one hand, the visual aim of a quiver tip is a distraction from the feelings of a bite pulsing through the fingers, but then again, perhaps they offer less resistance than a light float tip?

Any views appreciated.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Two more questions.

Is a good old fashioned drilled bullet a good weight for use when touch ledgering?

And if using an Avon rod, (I'm currently using a five piece John Wilson Avon Rovex rod) should you leave a sensitive quiver tip end on, or a normal light float tip on?

On the one hand, the visual aim of a quiver tip is a distraction from the feelings of a bite pulsing through the fingers, but then again, perhaps they offer less resistance than a light float tip?

Any views appreciated.

Ive not said anything up to now on the subject of Touch Ledgering as although I know all about it in theory I have virtually no practical experience of doing it! And unlike several I feel as such there is nothing I can add or really have the right to comment on! I'm sure the exponents of it will be along to give you far more qualified answers but I feel I can add a bit to one of these two questions-

If your touch ledgering correctly ie pointing the rod directly at the bait it surely doesn't mater (bite indication wise) if you have the most sensitive of quiver tips or a big game trolling rod! The point being that the fish shouldnt be allowed to feel the resistance of the tip?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If your touch ledgering correctly ie pointing the rod directly at the bait it surely doesn't mater (bite indication wise) if you have the most sensitive of quiver tips or a big game trolling rod! The point being that the fish shouldnt be allowed to feel the resistance of the tip?

True, but sometimes even the most ardent touch legerer will want to put the rod down for a few minutes. (like when unscrewing the top off a flask and pouring a cuppa)

If the rod has a sensitive tip you can prop it on an idleback and still be in with a chance. Having said that, I would not use a quivertip whilst touch legering. I have got used to the split bamboo Legerstrike (designed by Peter Stone, the guru of touch legering) and the important thing about the tip of any rod that you use is that you "learn" how to cushion even the most rapid of strikes.

There is a bit of history here. The original Chapman's Legerstrike had a sensitive tip (I have one) as designed by Peter Stone.

Unfortunately, many purchasers of that rod tended to mis-use it, strike as if they were marlin fishing (so maybe THAT's why you advocate a big-game trolling rod Budgie :):) ) and as a result of numerous complaints of smashed tips, the later models were made with stouter tips.

With regard to the drilled bullet - why not? Although touch legering works best with light end-rigs, if you need to go heavier, you can still touch leger with heavier weights. Drilled bullets seem to have a bad press (too old-fashioned?) but I use them - cheaper than Arlesey bombs or "riser" leads, and you can trundle them about a swim. Which lead you use is governed by the conditions in the swim, a whole subject by itself.

RNLI Governor

Supplementing the the consiserable amount of information, knowledge, experience and advice that has already been given on the subject of touch legering, the links below are well worth a read if you are intersted in this technique

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fishing/featur...owto/14537.html

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fishing/featur...owto/12914.html

Well worth reading. Thanks, Paul.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God