Fantastic Plastic - Do you have faith?

Dales

Do you think there is a chance that you will not be alerted to the ejected take and you'll end up fishing with a setup with is less likely to catch fish.... or do you feel in the long run you'll catch more fish because you can tell if you have missed takes?

The second, definitely!

Tigger, yes, you could do that.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you call a fly as used by a fly fisherman or a lure or spinner a fake (or plastic) bait?

I use flies, when fly fishing, lures, plugs, spoons and spinners etc when spinning, but prefer real baits for my coarse fishing.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Its all about having confidence. Something I learned from lure fishing (which I suppose is essentially what this is). I've used popup plastic sweetcorn to great effect for bream/carp etc. Once you've proved to yourself that a fake bait works you can move on from there but its all about making the initial 'leap of faith'.

It happened for me after getting 10 good (7-9lb) bream in about an hour and a half.

I'd suggest using fake baits on a second rod if you're unsure. That way you'll know you're not completely wasting your time while you wait for the plastic bait to produce. Once you get a few on the plastic bait its a nice feeling knowing you have definitely still got something attractive on the hook after a long wait.

Here's an interesting thought - I have absolute confidence in fishing with fake casters, sweetcorn, hemp and maggots, but I don't think I could fish with one of the fake worms! I can't put my finger on why, but I guess I expect worms to be lively. Also, I guess the confidence I have with the smaller fake baits is due to the fact the fish will hopefully suck them up whether they meant to or not. With a worm, the fish would have to want to pick it up.

Or would it? Has anyone used the fake worms with any success? I might be missing a trick here...

What other fake baits have people tried apart from the usual maggots, casters and corn?

The Enterprise immitation bait web page is here: http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/imitation.htm

The redworms and eternal 10mm boilies might be just what I've been looking for!

EDIT: these look perfect for sticking a pellet in to prevent it breaking down and falling off a hair: http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/baithtm/cornskins.html

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Its all about having confidence. Something I learned from lure fishing (which I suppose is essentially what this is).

A lure is basically an induced take (imo) and using plastic dead baits may not quite do the trick.

I wont go fishing without fake baits now! Especially after the success I had at the Wingham fish-in last year where I caught 13 tench on fake maggots and corn.

However I do soak my baits in a couple of different flavours as It gives me more confidence. It also helps the bait stand out a little if you land your baits on the silt that doesn't smell so good as plastic baits will take on that horrible smell. I have a mixture of colours, shapes and sizes in CSL and Pineapple.

Do you guy's use your plastic baits straight from the pack or do you prefer to flavour them?

Ant

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

I tried flavouring fake corn with brasem for bream fishing, but despite soaking several bits in the brasem liquid for several months, as soon as it went in the water it just seemed to wash off straight away! I started a topic about flavours and flavouring baits at about the same time which was interesting, but didn't really lead me anywhere.

I'd be very interested in how you flavour your baits and with what, I'd do it more if I thought it would soak in/stick to the rubber!

So now I just use all the fake baits straight out of the packet.

I think the Drennan fake maggots and casters come in a pineapple flavour - has anyone tried these?

I have used the drennan maggots and they do come in pineapple flavour. I have to say i dont use them much at all, only really when using a lob worm or a lot of maggots on a hook to stop the bait coming off. I do think that the fluorescent ones give the bait a bit of attraction. I wouldn't feel confident using them on their own though.

I read once that a lot of the carp fishermen in Spain take a piece of fake corn, put it in a liquid flavouring of their choice and squeeze it hard with tongs or pliers, it draws the flavour into the bait and attractant is released slowly. Don't quote me on that and i don't know if it works at all but it might give you something to think about

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I have used the drennan maggots and they do come in pineapple flavour. I have to say i dont use them much at all, only really when using a lob worm or a lot of maggots on a hook to stop the bait coming off. I do think that the fluorescent ones give the bait a bit of attraction. I wouldn't feel confident using them on their own though.

I read once that a lot of the carp fishermen in Spain take a piece of fake corn, put it in a liquid flavouring of their choice and squeeze it hard with tongs or pliers, it draws the flavour into the bait and attractant is released slowly. Don't quote me on that and i don't know if it works at all but it might give you something to think about

won my first match of the year today using the pellet cone with double fake red and bronze maggots , Ive never had faith in plastic baits but due to this topic and some peoples absolute faith in them i decided to take the plunge and could not believe the action i got .

82lb of carp to 10lb and one bream about 5lb , the thing is i tried other baits and did catch but nowhere near as fast as when i used the hair rigged fake maggots, i did catch 3 on the pole with paste near the margin at the end. This lake is far from being a carp commercial and second place was only 31lb of bream and roach , it was the bream that i was supposed to be targeting today but the carp just went mad for the plastic .

This today is absolute conclusive proof to me that plastic baits work on their own. :D

Its all about having confidence. Something I learned from lure fishing

For me there is a truly massive difference between a lure that is worked to produce a fish attracting movement and a static piece of rubber.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!