Help me win please

confused

im only 19 years old but have been fishing for a number of years, my dad is the current fishing aggregate winner and this year i came 3rd overall, impressive for its only my 2nd yr match fishing and a massive improvement on last year, however after a flying start i won 1st match came 2nd in the second and then 4th on the next 2, the question i have is this: Is fishing inbred, a natural talent that is passed on through genes, or is it something anyone can be good at? i know everyone can improve but it seems that me and my father are naturals and others have no luck at all....just a tester for u all...have fun

no its called beginners luck notice how you are falling down the list already :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There is beginners luck but i also believe that you can either be a natural talent or that you can become better just through the learning process (watching others , reading up or through experience or learning by your mistakes. Even just by trying something different). what ever is your angle just keep at it. some you win some you lose, remember you can not win everytime.

thats my thoughts anyway ...... tight lines

BOB :)

Yes in my humble (But perfectly formed!?!) opinion it is in the genes. But more of it is learned by practice!! Look at one of our local rising stars James Mead. His dad is an accomplished angler at 50 odd! But James at his age is twice the angler his father will ever be!! Because he practices.... a lot!!! And being in the right circles does not do any harm either!! Or being someone called Robert Nudd or Thomas Pickering!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

The more you practise the luckier you'll get.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

i wasnt meaning to sound bigheaded, but i do think a lot of it is down to my dad, he is a good fisherman and obviously i picked up a lot from him, if i can oneday claim to be as good then i'll be quite content, but it seems like some of the club members have been fishing 20 years, watching all the videos etc and still not won a match, i dunno whatever im doing right i hope to continue doing that way. i put a lot down to takle too though, i try to buy the best i can, and i'd rather wait till i can afford the better stuff than buy cheap and it not be as good, dont get me wrong though there is some good reasonably priced takle out there, i saw something about okuma reels? anyway i never wrote this much in school essays so i'll stop now, cheers for the input.

Hi Confused.

Got to pick you up on the tackle aspect.Having all the latest and most expensive gear aint gonna put more fish in ya net mate,except perhaps from the point of view of having more confidence in using it.It really is down to water craft,experience etc,ie getting the best out of a poor peg (although as i am not a matchman I dont have to sit and suffer in a bad peg)and getting the very best out of a good un.Good luck anyway

Cheers chris. :)

nah again i wasnt meaning i have new expensive tackle, it was expensive when i bought it but primarily it is just good tackle, not all my stuff is expensive but every piece is of great value, its good gear, i bought a second hand centrepin reel, and actually took it to pieces and fixed the clutch mechanism, the reel cost 20 pounds, but i wouldnt sell it for a hundred. anyway just hope i'd not upset anyone.

confused - if anything you have said upset anyone, they really need to get a life.

Your stuff has been fine and your question was legit.

As for the tackle thing - I agree totally that you don't need the very latest but you do need tackle that is good. As in a rod that bends properly, line that is sound, and a reel with a good action. Sounds like you have all of that.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President