Keeping small carp indoors in a 3ft tank?

carpcrazy2011

Hi guys im a new member and was wondering if anyone has ever kept carp indoor in a tank and any tips?

Only in the bath for a couple of days.....after that, best grilled or griddled!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Start with a smallish fish or two (3-5 inches or so) and it/they should stop growing when they reache the max size for your tank.

Don't bother with plants or much of anything other than coarse gravel, some stones/rocks, and possibly a chunk or two of wood.

Make sure you have good filtration including undergravel and some small fish to take care of cleaning up bits of food. If you go with any rocks, a coolie loach or two would be good as would a pleco to keep down the algae.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi guys im a new member and was wondering if anyone has ever kept carp indoor in a tank and any tips?

we've bee doing it for a couple of hundred years they are called goldfish ;)

i wouldn't try it with F1 or leny types they certainly wouldn't enjoy the surroundings but "carp" if put in small enough would be fine ,chucking in a ten pound wild one would be cruel but a yearling fine

they dont enjoy too warm a room though as they cant seek cooler water in a tank ,my freshwater tanks had beer chillers to keep the temp low in high summer and in cold seawater tanks its far more important IMHO

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Only in the bath for a couple of days.....after that, best grilled or griddled!
:o :o :D

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

we've bee doing it for a couple of hundred years they are called goldfish ;)

i wouldn't try it with F1 or leny types they certainly wouldn't enjoy the surroundings but "carp" if put in small enough would be fine ,chucking in a ten pound wild one would be cruel but a yearling fine

they dont enjoy too warm a room though as they cant seek cooler water in a tank ,my freshwater tanks had beer chillers to keep the temp low in high summer and in cold seawater tanks its far more important IMHO

Spot on chesters. Keeping the water cool enough and dealing with any condensation produced by the setup will be your major challenges.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/small-c...16#entry3371916

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I used to keep Ghost Koi in a tank and they became so tame that they fed from my fingers.

I used to work nights and so always had a juicy Lobworm or too when I came home.

Filtration is important so buy the best you can.

Carp also seem to like Canadian Pondweed and this is also a good plant for removing pollutants from your water.

Be careful to only buy Lime free gravel and not to big.

If the Tank is well maintained then it is unlikely the fish will suffer disease.

Ensure that you neutralise chemicals from Tap water and when changing water change only 3/4.

If you notice problems you can treat the water with cooking salt, guides are available on the internet.

Do not use table salt.

Things to watch for:

Flicking and Rubbing.

Fin Rot.

Fungal growth.

Listless or laying on the bottom.

Rapid breathing.

Important not to overstock. I would only stock with a maximum of 3 fish.

All the best. ;);)

Hmmm. I wouldn't feed my aquarium fish with lobworms. The fish might like them, but that is how you introduce parasites.

75% Water changes are a bit over the top, 25%-50% should be more than enough.

I'd avoid using any kind of salt other than that sold for marine aquaria if your your water needs a wee perk up.

Just my two bits worth. YMMV.

Edited by corydoras

i remember as a kid cleaning out the class aquarium and grabbing a lob worm in a handful of gravel it was still alive and scared the bejeesus out of me

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i remember as a kid cleaning out the class aquarium and grabbing a lob worm in a handful of gravel it was still alive and scared the bejeesus out of me
I would have thought it would take more than a little worm to faze you chesters ;)