Hampshire Avon

Peter M

I am off on holiday with the family to Sandy Balls (no jokes), which has a streach of the Hampshire Avon open to guests to fish. Last year I went for the Barbel there and had no success. I was thinking of just fishing with a float rod this time for anything that swims. I was wondering if there are any grayling to be had. Also info on how to stop being pestered by minows would be appreciated.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

You might struggle with a float at this time of year Peter, it gets fairly weedy up that end in the summer, but definitely worth a go if you can find a nice little run between the weed somewhere

There were certainly quite a few grayling around last winter.

You can never be sure with minnows but often they are not a big problem until about September, and then only if you use maggot or caster.

If it is more weedy than you would like, it would be worth having a look at the LAA stretch at Britford, £5 per day and a very helpful bailiff always on site.

I tried float fishing the sandy balls stretch a couple of years ago while staying there, it does get VERY weedy, I had dificulty even finding a clear enough short glide to trot.

Lots of small fish, roach, dace, millions of minnows but that was about it.

Went again in January this year, intending to travel into Christchurch and fish the Royalty, but it snowed the day we arrived, so I stayed on site and had a snowball fight with the kids instead :)

BTW The Italian resturant by the entrance to Sandy Balls is well worth a vist!

Mat

Mat

Yup weed is very thick. Try right up at the top for grayling and chub.

I have seen good Barbel in the weed towards the bottom end but finding a swim can be tricky. Also worth chucking a lure as a few pike in there (as well as sea trout but i'm sure you'l put those back

There is a good 'day ticket' lake just down the road at the 'water park' (Hucklebrook) if it all seems to much work!

BTW you can get a cream for the balls! :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Toggle:

BTW you can get a cream for the balls! :D

:D ...I said no jokes i have heard them all. :rolleyes: thanks for all the tips though i think i will take my spinning rod as it breaks down into five bits therefore good as a travel rod, and float rod.

take a look at my blog

Better check your ticket carefully if you actually want to use it as a spinning rod, not many places on the Avon allow coarse anglers to spin.

One other point, the walk from the campsite at sandy-balls to the river is down a very steep dirt path, through the woods, getting down to the river was not too bad, but getting back up the hill again almost killed me!

A good pair of hiking boots and travelling light is very advisable!

Mat

Mat

Not sure, but I think the approach to the river from the upstream end (on the campsite) is a lot kinder on the legs, the lower end is certainly a killer.

Sandy balls you managed to get a second mortgage then

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

Sandy balls you managed to get a second mortgage then

I know what you mean it is a bit pricy but this is our only holiday of the year and there is lots for the kids to do and it alows me to fish as well.

take a look at my blog