Who DOES Know About Marine Conservation Zones?

Elton

At the risk of being :offtopic: what's being "secular" got do do with anything? Does one have to have religion in order to have a true grasp of marine conservation?

No your not off topic, because the man has a singular interest in the fishy world. He wishes to see unnecessary unproven restriction on the rest of the rsa and commercial sector as he feels that it is best for his 'sport'. Why don't you ask him the same question, you will get the same reply, he won't use the word selfish though as he singularly doesn't believe he is.

Take christchurch harbour and weymouth as an example. They have introduced a no take zone at christchurch as they laughably considered 'their' stock was being decimated, by a couple of kids using trebles. Yet weymouth harbour that is free and unrestricted has an abundance of mullet. So in the big world of conservation. his secular ideals don't do diddly squat in the big scheme of things. Much the same as the idea of a ntz at sennen. Bonkers.

Nothing religious with regards to conservation as you imply. Was this your method of entrapment into the world of imaginary friends as i am fully aware of your leanings with the religious brethren. The word was however used correctly in the context of someone being on their own, away from the majority. That's why i say he gives rsa a bad name, criticising the Seine netters at sennen for example, yet there is no evidence it is unsustainable. So not in the rsa's name thank you.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody can prove that any form of netting is sustainable where is your evidence for that ? what percent of the Bio Mass equals sustainability ? I noticed none of you bothered to answer the question about when you would start to return Bass. Christchurch catch and release works perfectly well you pays your money same as any private fishery most of you haven,t fished it so don,t even know what your talking about, but I have several of my trips ruined by Trawlers being less than 100yards from the beach.

Nobody knows what will be in a MCZ because they are still debating it and I expect a watered down version to keep commerical fishermen happy

Must dash have two weddings and a funeral

Nobody can prove that any form of netting is sustainable where is your evidence for that ? what percent of the Bio Mass equals sustainability ? I noticed none of you bothered to answer the question about when you would start to return Bass. Christchurch catch and release works perfectly well you pays your money same as any private fishery most of you haven,t fished it so don,t even know what your talking about, but I have several of my trips ruined by Trawlers being less than 100yards from the beach.

Nobody knows what will be in a MCZ because they are still debating it and I expect a watered down version to keep commerical fishermen happy

Shame you've had to dash as i wish to pick up on a couple of items within your post that don't make sense. If you wish to state that all netting is non-sustainable, answer yes or no that your precious mullet are returning year after year. Your right i haven't fished christchurch and never will while it is required to pay someone money to do so and pointless, selfish rules are in place to prevent anyone enjoying a catch that yet again, they decided to apply restrictions because anglers decimated the stock. It's a load of busters, you know it but fail to accept it my friend. Go into any harbour during the summer months and tell me what you are looking at swimming around the moorings? Don't belittle us by saying there is a shortage as it will be yourself who doesn't know what you are talking about. Re the bass question put that one up again and i certainly will answer that one for you in a practical and logical way if you can accept it.

Demonstrate to us my friend how the trawlers ruined your trip? Tell us why you consider seine netting and even gill netting to be unsustainable. You and others cannot put up an argument that all netting needs to be banned just because you think it should. My opinion is that those two methods are selective netting at it's very best and long may it continue. Now you show me some facts and figures to dispute that my fellow rsa.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

In the Thames we catch bass 6 at a time on feathers. We only do it for about 20 mins as it gets boring and its not good to torture the fish just for pleasure. To answer your question I usually keep just one for me and the wife.

IMO, single species anglers who practice catch and release in UK waters are the biggest threat to sea angling in the UK.

Why? Because they yearn single species protection. Result? No take Zones.

This means we all suffer.

The CF seem to be catching lots of fish. Most anglers I know seem to catch plenty of fish. So who says fish need protecting?

IMO, fish need protecting from the C&R loons who spends fortunes torturing fish just to sling them back again. Try justifying that to anti-angling organisations!!

Hello Jerry

Gill nets used properly are no more or less sustainable than any other method and they pay the mortgage and put food on the table.

Who knows what the bio mass is?

It's your choice to fish Christchurch after all it's a free country, unless of cause you are a commercial fisherman.

Did you catch any thing on the trips that weren't ruined by trawlers?

My angling is often enhanced by the knowledge I gain from commercial fishing and friends have also benefit from the same info even if it means fishing along side nets or trawlers after all commercial fishermen tend to work were there are fish.

The MCZ's will only be watered down if they can't produce the evidence not to, it seems to me that the whole project is having trouble substantiating their claims as they are finding out that things aren't any where as bad as they first presumed .

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel I trust that you are a licenced fishermen who knows what he,s doing ,my main problem is with unlicenced Gill netters or water pikeys as I prefer to call them , most on the dole doing it for beer money .For my sins have fished for the Boat did it once and would not do it again the skipper did well out of my efforts 20 Pollack to 18lbs but can,t say I enjoyed the expericence.

Never really been a chuck it and chance it Angler this is why I became a specimen fisherman chose Mullet because they ate bread no more bait digging or crabbing which was getting harder and harder each year, and yes I will fight for the conservation of my favourite fish. The main piont is there is no research done on total fish Bio Mass so you cannot claim that netting is not damaging fish stocks the same as I can,t prove it is.I can only go on what I see and there seems less each year. 17 Dinghys with gill nets on in Poole harbour your not going to tell me they won,t have an impact on fish stock in Poole Harbour ?

Steve are you from the same planet as the rest of us ? So any form of catch and release is fish torture does this apply to Carp or Barbel fishermen ? I return most of my Conger because I don,t want to hump it up a cliff and carry back two miles to my car for it to stink my car out on the way home.Steve you need to think it through a bit more returning fish is not bad like you say catching 6 Bass a chuck can get boring welcome to the world of C&R loons :lol:

Wurzel I trust that you are a licenced fishermen who knows what he,s doing ,my main problem is with unlicenced Gill netters or water pikeys as I prefer to call them , most on the dole doing it for beer money .For my sins have fished for the Boat did it once and would not do it again the skipper did well out of my efforts 20 Pollack to 18lbs but can,t say I enjoyed the expericence.

Never really been a chuck it and chance it Angler this is why I became a specimen fisherman chose Mullet because they ate bread no more bait digging or crabbing which was getting harder and harder each year, and yes I will fight for the conservation of my favourite fish. The main piont is there is no research done on total fish Bio Mass so you cannot claim that netting is not damaging fish stocks the same as I can,t prove it is.I can only go on what I see and there seems less each year. 17 Dinghys with gill nets on in Poole harbour your not going to tell me they won,t have an impact on fish stock in Poole Harbour ?

Steve are you from the same planet as the rest of us ? So any form of catch and release is fish torture does this apply to Carp or Barbel fishermen ? I return most of my Conger because I don,t want to hump it up a cliff and carry back two miles to my car for it to stink my car out on the way home.Steve you need to think it through a bit more returning fish is not bad like you say catching 6 Bass a chuck can get boring welcome to the world of C&R loons :lol:

Guys if there is no time series data on the stock levels of any species be it local' regional or whatever any argument is meaningless. Is it

angling, gill netting, climate change, changing predation during recruitment etc etc? If you don't know yoou have no argument and no case.

This is why CEFAS , DEFRA, Natural England and the EU are undertaking studies about angling activity and their catches so that eventually they will have some idea what we do and what impact we might have. Anything else that is put out by any organisation without scientific evidence is total bull **** and not worth the paper it is written on

Regards

Clive

Na your not getting off the hook with this little climb down. First of all you criticise all netting, moan about trawling off the beach run down the seine netters, gill netters tom cobley included if you like. Yet now you portray your problem as being the unlicensed guys. I'm not sure if the regs have changed yet but if they haven't the unlicensed guys, without power were or are just as much entitled as you. Further more, again tell me whats devastating or unsustainable regarding these unlicensed guys, you can't because you don't have any idea of the amount they catch. Further more, in the bigger picture these unlicensed guys, how do they compare say with commercial trawlers. Their catch doesn't come to zilch in comparison, so just what is your problem. Beware of using the word 'pi%ey on this web site, some have been pulled up for it before as it is not p c correct. You haven't answered the trawling question yet, still waiting.

Fishing for the boat, as long as the skipper has a licence and or quota for the same, yet again, nothing wrong with that, very sustainable clean, nil discard method of fishing. You must have known what you was doing before you stepped on the boat, with regards to perhaps a free or low cost trip, if it's not for you, don't go, if i was the skipper, i would be particular who comes aboard to ensure that the angler is competant enough to make it worth the skippers while. That would be more important than liking the method or not.

Edited by barry luxton

Guys if there is no time series data on the stock levels of any species be it local' regional or whatever any argument is meaningless. Is it

angling, gill netting, climate change, changing predation during recruitment etc etc? If you don't know yoou have no argument and no case.

This is why CEFAS , DEFRA, Natural England and the EU are undertaking studies about angling activity and their catches so that eventually they will have some idea what we do and what impact we might have. Anything else that is put out by any organisation without scientific evidence is total bull **** and not worth the paper it is written on

Regards

Clive

Bang on the money.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Jerry

I also enjoy catching mullet and fish for them in the marina where I moor my boat.

If it's the bio stock of mullet you are referring to you are right there is little science on the stock that I'm aware of.

I goggled earth to look at Poole Harbour as I'm not familiar with the area, I counted five different marinas and could see several quays and docks giving a safe haven for mullet from the nets, Poole Harbour is quite a large sheltered body of water so is ideal for hobby and part time fishermen to play around safely in small boats /dinghies I'm surprised there aren't more than 17.

Of course they are going to have some sort of impact on the fish stocks that enter the harbour but I think if you were to talk to some of them or ask your local SFC fisheries officer you would find their catches are quite minimal to the amount that's in the harbour and I suspect they mostly target the school bass more than mullet, it's my experience that if the netters have a good season then anglers also have a good season and the same if they have a bad season so do anglers, it’s fishing no matter how you do it.

I think Steve Good a commercial fisherman that post on here works from Poole perhaps he could shed some light on the netters in the harbour.

Edited by wurzel

I fish to live and live to fish.