Partitioning HDDs and MS Office

Sportsman

I'm currently running XP pro and in a moment of weakness installed MS Office 2010. There is a lot I like about it and quite a bit I don't.

I do a lot of work with Powerpoint and TBH much prefer the 2003 version.

I have a new copy of Office 2003 ready to install, so can I partition my HDD and install Office 2003 on one partition and have 2010 on another?

Will XP be on both partitions?

Can I run 2003 and 2010 on the same partition?

How do you partition a HDD?

Thanks as always :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently running XP pro and in a moment of weakness installed MS Office 2010. There is a lot I like about it and quite a bit I don't.

I do a lot of work with Powerpoint and TBH much prefer the 2003 version.

I have a new copy of Office 2003 ready to install, so can I partition my HDD and install Office 2003 on one partition and have 2010 on another?

Will XP be on both partitions?

Can I run 2003 and 2010 on the same partition?

How do you partition a HDD?

Thanks as always :)

you dont need to partition a HDD to run two versions of Office! from what your describing your wanting to dual boot your pc...which would mean you would technically need two copies of windows!

if you want to run both versions of office you will find it far easier to do a CUSTOM install of office 2003 and just define a different location to install Office 2003 to....that will keep both copies seperate and allow you to run them side by side.

to do this:

run Office 2003 setup

put in your serial

choose CUSTOM INSTALL

the next screen will give you a file path to install Office 2003 to something like : "c:\program files\microsoft office"

which will be a similar location to the office 2010 install...

change the location to something like: "c:\program files\Office 2003"

on the next screen select the program you want to install..for instance if you only want powerpoint 2003 then just click the tab and select "run all from my computer" and disable all the other tabs for the other office software.

finall follow through and complete the install.

you should now have both versions of office installed side by side and be able to use either of them

no need to have a dual partition or anything. :)

probably the new version will over write the old one ,even if you install on separate partitions the windows associations will probably be buggered.

partitioning a drive after its go data on is possible but risky you will have to find a free one out there to do it ,partition magic used to be ok.

wait for a reall techie to answer you perhaps if you "sign on" to windows one bit of software could be completely seperate to a fake user ,so to use say 2010 you "may" have to log out then in as a different user?

i know the students at the uni (ten years ago now though) could have programs they wanted installed which left the standard set of programs alone

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks once again :)
This is simplicity in itself.

No need to parition HDDs

Install XP + SP3 + all other updates.

Install Office 2003

Custom Install of latest version of Office

Tell it what 2003 apps you want to leave on the system.

Problem Solved. No need to dual boot. No need for two Window licences if you do dual boot either.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

probably the new version will over write the old one ,even if you install on separate partitions the windows associations will probably be buggered.

partitioning a drive after its go data on is possible but risky you will have to find a free one out there to do it ,partition magic used to be ok.

wait for a reall techie to answer you perhaps if you "sign on" to windows one bit of software could be completely seperate to a fake user ,so to use say 2010 you "may" have to log out then in as a different user?

i know the students at the uni (ten years ago now though) could have programs they wanted installed which left the standard set of programs alone

erm..a real tech did answer him....

in fact i sat here and tested my methodology on this very pc when i answered just to be sure the method would work!

Corydoras gave the "official" methodology for doing it..but seeing as Office 2010 was already installed my method would not have required an uninstall of that, then an install of 2003 then a re-install of 2010 :D

Corydoras' method would be the most effective and would resolve any issues with default programs etc

however my method would resolve the issue and with a little tweaking of the "open with" the default programs to open PPT files could be set. Alos with my method you would have the best of both world, being able to run 2003 alongside 2010....however note that to open 2010 files in 2003 you will need to download the Office Compatibility pack from microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...;displaylang=en

Edited by kirisute

you posted as i was writing ;)

been here for a few minutes trying to stop works 8 interfering with 2003 :D now trying to import the 2003 excel files into it ah thats where their hiding ,now the calender!

i did though install 2007 over 2003 but then had choices which version to open ,generally the wrong one :D i like outlook as a sync prog but cannot get around it insisting i want its email function as welldammit bloody annoying when windows pops up questioning the legality of their software :unsure:

i much prefer lowly lotus 123 but the 97 version a tad old even for me but its ok for letters

my sister uses office but usually up to date so the compatibility bit of software has been on mine for years but does office open LWP files

stupid software why do they ask where something is when they can look!

stupid software where do office calender files live so they can be imported into works calender! grr

bugger this i want something that does everything even stuff i will never use and i get paid to install it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you posted as i was writing ;)

been here for a few minutes trying to stop works 8 interfering with 2003 :D now trying to import the 2003 excel files into it ah thats where their hiding ,now the calender!

i did though install 2007 over 2003 but then had choices which version to open ,generally the wrong one :D i like outlook as a sync prog but cannot get around it insisting i want its email function as welldammit bloody annoying when windows pops up questioning the legality of their software :unsure:

i much prefer lowly lotus 123 but the 97 version a tad old even for me but its ok for letters

my sister uses office but usually up to date so the compatibility bit of software has been on mine for years but does office open LWP files

stupid software why do they ask where something is when they can look!

stupid software where do office calender files live so they can be imported into works calender! grr

bugger this i want something that does everything even stuff i will never use and i get paid to install it

dont start me on office calendar! that and windows calender are my pet bug bears! how many times did i try to get a way of syncing windows calendar to my iphone or my mobile? only to discover you needed outlook..what if you dont like outlook? i hate outlook with a vengeance!!

i like live mail...its nice and simple (like me) why cant i use that as my calendar?? grrrrr

my pda's and phone use outlook but i use thunderbird on the PC for emails OH how they fight ,not sure what the phone uses they just appear :D

Edited by chesters1

erm..a real tech did answer him....

in fact i sat here and tested my methodology on this very pc when i answered just to be sure the method would work!

Corydoras gave the "official" methodology for doing it..but seeing as Office 2010 was already installed my method would not have required an uninstall of that, then an install of 2003 then a re-install of 2010 :D

Corydoras' method would be the most effective and would resolve any issues with default programs etc

however my method would resolve the issue and with a little tweaking of the "open with" the default programs to open PPT files could be set. Alos with my method you would have the best of both world, being able to run 2003 alongside 2010....however note that to open 2010 files in 2003 you will need to download the Office Compatibility pack from microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...;displaylang=en

Removing and re-installing 2010 is hardly a chore and would save all that tedious tweaking of file associations, something the average home user might easily get wrong.

I've got Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 all running on my lappy with Windows 7 and it works a treat with no manual tweaking.

Not that I have anything against a bit of manual tweaking. I'm real hot with regedit.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote