Instinctive & Intuitive or Technical & Scientific

Dales

Whats your general approach to angling. Are you the sort of angler that is guided by an intuiative feel you have for a water. Do you use your watercraft or Jedi powers to weigh up a section of water and fish it with your gut feeling. Do you just know where the marginal shelf will drop away and can you set your float at depth just by instinct and still catch fish? Are you guided by a feeling that this place looks right and feels right. Can you hit the same spot with your feeder or near enough that you feel it does not matter.

Or do you frown on the instinctive angler? Are you driven by the science of angling. Do you need to plumb the swim and set your float at the exact correct depth everytime. Do you need to map out your swim with marker rod or fish finder before you even think of casting out. Do you need to clip up for every cast, mark the line. Keep casting until you land your bait on the same spot.

Do you fall in to one camp or the other, or are you a bit of both. Obviously water craft is very important to both types of angler, but is gut feeling that you are in the right spot enough or do you need to start measuring and plumbing up to help back up your decision.

Do you see the benefits of the hard work of taking the time to get everything perfect but still enjoy a pitch up and cast in session from time to time.

Does a scientific apprach to angling remove all the romance and artistry from angling? Or is that just what people say because the technical angler is catching more then them :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Whats your general approach to angling. Are you the sort of angler that is guided by an intuiative feel you have for a water. Do you use your watercraft or Jedi powers to weigh up a section of water and fish it with your gut feeling. Do you just know where the marginal shelf will drop away and can you set your float at depth just by instinct and still catch fish? Are you guided by a feeling that this place looks right and feels right. Can you hit the same spot with your feeder or near enough that you feel it does not matter.

Or do you frown on the instinctive angler? Are you driven by the science of angling. Do you need to plumb the swim and set your float at the exact correct depth everytime. Do you need to map out your swim with marker rod or fish finder before you even think of casting out. Do you need to clip up for every cast, mark the line. Keep casting until you land your bait on the same spot.

Do you fall in to one camp or the other, or are you a bit of both. Obviously water craft is very important to both types of angler, but is gut feeling that you are in the right spot enough or do you need to start measuring and plumbing up to help back up your decision.

Do you see the benefits of the hard work of taking the time to get everything perfect but still enjoy a pitch up and cast in session from time to time.

Does a scientific apprach to angling remove all the romance and artistry from angling? Or is that just what people say because the technical angler is catching more then them :D

i think you have to do your fair share of both to be an effective fisherman.

for instance my regular carp lake i know pretty much off by heart. water depth, shelf location and fish movements and pathways. so i can usually roll-up, set my depth, put some feed in and start to fish and be catching alot faster than people that have sat there well before i turned up.

is that instinct of or simply "knowing" the water and how it fishes/how to fish it? and by knowing that i guess im falling into the scientific area....

but on lakes/rivers ive never fished before i will usually go with the rule of thumb and then change methodology and location according to what results in the first hour or so. you can make an observed knowledgable choice to fish against a lily bed, or under an overhanging branch etc

i think it all rolls into ones knowledge of the sport....both methods work and can produce; but the more time you spend building your own knowledge in both camps then the better your experience will be; maybe? LOL

effort and knowledge always reward themselves eventually; be it scientific or instinctual

A bit of both I think. Sometimes you get a feeling to do something, change something, explore somewhere, move swims, stay put, put more bait in or don't put any more in, etc. and I think you have to follow those instincts. There's rarely a logical explanation, but there's something telling you to do it, and it often proves to be the right thing to do.

On the other hand I suppose I am quite 'scientific', in the sense that I need to know why I am doing something. On stillwaters this means having a very good understanding of the topography and being quite OCD about accuracy and baiting. On rivers it means understanding the flows, changes of depths and nature of the bottom. It's essentially down to preparation, spending as much time as you need to get to understand the fish and the water before starting to fish, and also making sure that when you come to fish, the spot/swim you want to fish from is suitable.

At the heart of it all is basic knowledge of fish behaviour - when you understand the impulses and behaviour of the different species and can look 'through' the water to what's going on under the surface, it is often quite obvious what you need to do. It doesn't always work of course :rolleyes: But I like to start with the fish going about their daily lives, and work backwards from there.

Which leads on to experimenting. I really enjoy trying new things and testing theories. Some work, some don't, but I find it really liberating to accept I know very little, and the only way I can learn is by trying lots of different things. At some point patterns start to emerge and then it's quite easy to refine what you're doing.

I don't see it as 'hard work', to me that is what fishing is. Reeling in the fish at the end of it is fun, but it's just the very final step in a journey. And once you've got to that point, then you can just pitch up and cast!

There's one major aspect of fishing that really blurs this distinction, and that's baiting. Ask any successful angler what they're baiting with and why, and you'll get science. Ask them how much they put in, how often, when and why, and you'll get intuition B) No-one can explain it. It 'just feels right'.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i think you have to do your fair share of both to be an effective fisherman.

for instance my regular carp lake i know pretty much off by heart. water depth, shelf location and fish movements and pathways. so i can usually roll-up, set my depth, put some feed in and start to fish and be catching alot faster than people that have sat there well before i turned up.

is that instinct of or simply "knowing" the water and how it fishes/how to fish it? and by knowing that i guess im falling into the scientific area....

but on lakes/rivers ive never fished before i will usually go with the rule of thumb and then change methodology and location according to what results in the first hour or so. you can make an observed knowledgable choice to fish against a lily bed, or under an overhanging branch etc

i think it all rolls into ones knowledge of the sport....both methods work and can produce; but the more time you spend building your own knowledge in both camps then the better your experience will be; maybe? LOL

effort and knowledge always reward themselves eventually; be it scientific or instinctual

I think your right and it can take many years to become accomplished , its about seeing things from a fishes point of view and not mine , like when the water in a lake has dropped a few inches you might be able to see an area of bare earth on the very edge of an island where the carp have grubbed about and exposed the bank and cast a method feeder right tight to it rather than fishing up to the lovely looking lilies to the side .

Its definitley about technique and its definitley about intuition and making the right choices and knowing what to change when something isnt working .

When you fish a water that you know well you can be be settled into catching before the others have started and that can give you a massive psychological advantage , but when you fish somewhere new its down to thinking quickly and making the right choices based on fishing knowledge so intuition then.

Its about applying yourself to different venues as well , when i went to the itchen i didnt really have much experience of rivers because i hadnt fished one for nearly 20 years but after a slow morning i changed my approach and started to work for it by feeding 4 maggots every 20 seconds regardless of whether i was playing a fish or whatever and feeding small balls of liquidised bread every 5 mins and although the bread seemed to attract a few more tiny brownies in the closing few hours i managed 6 big chub and 5 or six decent grayling , Im sounding like im blowing my own trumpet here but what it boiles down to is just years of angling experience and some people learn slowly and some people get it quickly but we all get there if we work for it and can take direction from more experienced anglers.

Ive learnt more from this site from anglers with more experience than me than i ever would have learned on my own.

Whatever you think you know about angling there is always someone out there that knows something you can benefit from , thats the magic of angling and why we dont get bored because we are always improving :)

science at home, gut and polarised glasses on the bank

That is short but sweet , im just getting my new prescription glasses fitted with thin polarised lenses with all the anti reflection coatings etc , not cheap but ive heard its worth it .

Does it make a lot of difference to just normal shades as ive never tried polorised glasses ?

I think that as well as Instinct Intuition and science a fair amount of lazyness goes into my fishing too :D

ie

"Bugger me I've been walking for ages and that looks like a nice flat comfy swim"

"bit windy today I'll go to the sheltered end of the lake"

"well I can see the fish rolling on the far bank, but I can just about cast there from the carpark side"

Mat

Mat

I think that as well as Instinct Intuition and science a fair amount of lazyness goes into my fishing too :D

ie

"Bugger me I've been walking for ages and that looks like a nice flat comfy swim"

"bit windy today I'll go to the sheltered end of the lake"

"well I can see the fish rolling on the far bank, but I can just about cast there from the carpark side"

Mat

But I'm sure it's scientificaly proven that most fish get caught near the Carp park end. But it might be because those swims are always fished :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Having deliberately only read the basic thread question as I wanted to answer honestly and without reference nor thought of what others have put down. Which I have to admit I do more often than I perhaps would like to admit as it has often caused a little upset.

Please let me let you into a secret The Way of the Toad ...hehehe...but I am actually not joking.

After fishing for so very long it is almost impossible for me to say honestly where instinct and/or experience and/or intuition and/or scientific/technical skills cut in.

I have worked hard to develop fairly good watercraft knowledge and skills, but I had an unusually good start to my angling life in that I was very young and the men who took it upon themselves to teach me were so very kind and patient and understanding of a rather inpatient, anxious and excitable young lad and being rather old each had a lifetimes experience and often hard earned knowledge behind them. They ranged from gamekeepers to poachers to specimen hunters to match men to fanatical anglers, my rather unusual background also added into the equation I spent a lot of my holidays in very different parts of the country fishing vastly different rivers, streams, canals, ponds and lakes. The consequence of this is that by the time I was fifteen I was a pretty experienced angler and at home on any type of water, although I still turn green in a rowing boat especially in an estuary and forget about sea fishing from a boat no chance and I have clocked up fifty eight seasons of angling now.

However I am still learning new things and by that I do not mean just new technologies but different ways of doing many things because every angler I meet and/or talk to has different ideas and experience and knowledge than I have and I am always willing to listen and learn, even though I am an arrogant Toad.

Do I read much yes but in fits and starts usually targeting on new books dedicated to one species of fish rather than the more general fishing I never read biographies and auto biographies or tales of fishing and angling adventures which so fill our lists of available angling books. Being a person with a wide, mixed and very large circle of friends I am often given books on my favourite subjects which has caused some considerable doubling in areas of my little library.

On a stretch of water I know well I still plumb the depths and on a water I do not know I plumb the depth much more. Do I look for features perhaps based on experience more than instinct and intuition probably. A new range of floats comes out and I am in line to look and most likely try them out, the same goes for reels, rods line and many other accessories. However and equally I am just as likely to pick up something second-hand that I either like based on previous experience or perhaps I see something that I have not tried out and fancy giving it a go.

So for myself I would say that I am a total mixture of anything and everything to do with angling and nature when it comes to fishing, so I cannot choose just one area nor decide that it is experience, instinct, intuition, knowledge, ability, technique or technology.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God