fishing knots

Craig Robins

i assume it's a line to line knot you're having trouble with? I don't like line to line knots at all, as some lines just don't take to it.

The most common used has always been a loop to loop knot, made out of two simple double overhand loops knots (I hope you know what I mean!).

I've never liked this method, as the overhand loop knot weakens line. What I do, is tie a small drennan ring to the main line, using a 4-5 turn grinner knot. The hooklink can then be attached by a similar knot.

If you get stuck, look for the book "The Knot Book", by Geiffrey Budworth. It's published by Right Way. The ISBN is 0-7160-2084 (If you quote this number, any book shop will be able to find it). It may only cost you a couple of pounds.

Let me know if you still have problems and I'll see what I can do.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I use the four turn water knot for similar and dissimilar diameter joining, to date it has not let me down and I have caught many a fish 4 times the size of the breaking strain. . .

generally W B Clarkes (old Silstar Match)

oddly as a match man I use the drennan hook tyer . . . I think it is down to spit myself :P

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

i use and have used the method Dunk mentions the overhand loop knot for years and can honestly say i have never had a problem, the hooklenth always goes before the knot does.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

I've always found a water knot to be the neatest way, but, being a luddite, I haven't a clue how to post a link for you.....A search of Google will produce the necessary.

Paul

I tend to use the double overhand knot. I join lines constantly on fly casts where I would usually have 4 or 5 knots at a time, if the knots are moistened when tightening they work fine.

Whichever knot you use always moisten them before tightening up.If you dont the line burns and weakens at the knot.

You could also try Knot-lube or knot cement from tackle shops (fly anglers ofte use them) to help your knots.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Dunk,

Try using only three turns on your grinner knots - it's actually stronger than five turns.

Likewise, try out a two turn water knot (yes, only two) for droppers and joining line to line - stronger and smaller than a four turn.

This doesn't suit all lines, but does work nicely with co-polymer - don't use it with fluorocarbon.

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Adz:

Dunk,

Likewise, try out a two turn water knot (yes, only two) for droppers and joining line to line - stronger and smaller than a four turn.

This doesn't suit all lines, but does work nicely with co-polymer - don't use it with fluorocarbon.

Cheers,

Yes, I've always used two turns and wondered why all received wisdom says four turns (endemic plagiarism ?)

Its useful for joining horsehairs as well, ask Izaak

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...