How was your season?

Chris Plumb

And so another season finishes (PLEASE don't start another close season debate here :rolleyes: ) How was it for you? Good, bad, indifferent? Did you achieve your targets? (did you even have any?)

I set out to break 3 PB's this year. The Tench one fell early on but the Barbel disappointed and that 3lb Grayling is still to grace my net! (Still there's always next year!) On the plus side I had a PB Roach and Dace, caught the same day, and like my Tench were had on a centre-pin. And a 1½lb Grayling from the Avon on the penultimate day of the season made it 1lb+ Grayling from 5 different rivers this season (have to make it 6 next year!)

So what trials and triumphs did YOU have?

Chris

[ 15. March 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My worst season ever! :(

Too much experimentation and flitting from one water to another was the cause. So next season I'm sticking to two waters and keeping things consistant. That elusive 30lber will be mine!

One of the quietest seasons ever in the times I was able to go fishing.

However I had the great good fortune to get my P B Barbel and first double in one.Prior to this my PB was 5lb-1oz. now it is 11lb-2 oz's. a fish I will never forget.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

I expected more!

It might sound a tad conceited but I haven't had a thirty since October, but perhaps I haven't tried hard enough, infact I know I haven't. I now know where all the known Broads 30's hang out, and that takes away much of the mystery that is piking. Its been down to others to catch them. But good luck to them! Its good to see others succeed.

Perhaps its my own fault. When a swim gets popular I tend to move on. I've lost the drive to get there before others do. My excuse is that there are now far too many would be pikers out there. Piking, for me, isn't about hammered waters, known fish and near neighbours.

Even a spot of 'guesting' doesn't guarantee solitude any longer. Guesting seems quite fashionable nowadays!

But I am enjoying a renewed interest in perch fishing. I have so much to learn about these fascinating fish. And then there some nice big carp on my local broad for next summer, something to look forward too!

Not a great season fishingwise but met a lot of fellow anglers on the net which was great had the pleasure of fishing with Chris Bishop what a sound guy he is.Fished on the River severn for the first and was disgusted with the litter and the welfare of pike on that water also fished the Warickshire Avon and fell in love with it,but the same litter problem there too but hooked and lost my first zander ever, still theresnext season catch my first z. Lets have litter clean up from all our favourite waters during the close season

[ 16. March 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: JackPike ]

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

I've looked through my log book and i must have caught nearly 100 carp between 1lb and 20lb this season.

The larger fish have certainly eluded me, despite the glorious action.

I'm aiming at less fish...with more weight this year.

God help me :)

Pretty good for me really. Made the most of the Windrush in Oxford, I'd have liked to have fished it more, but then I'm going back next year. Plenty of Barbel and big chub.

Had a good time on the Medway. Plenty of Chub in the 3-5lb bracket. Would have liked a 6, but I seem to be getting location pretty good now. In the summer, lures were on the menu for a LOT of pike. My one Carp trip, resulted in a 2 fish catch, both low doubles, but great fun, as river Carp always are.

The Len was OK, with only a few Chub, but of a high average size. Also, had the occasional Dace, which may be making more of a show. Could this be because the Chub aren't so plentiful, so the fry are surviving?

The Beult was good fun, no chub but lots of spinner caught Perch, all smallish, up to a pound. Plenty of Jack Pike on plugs, great fun fishing.

Not done much on stillwaters this year, but that's only because I've been enjoying loads of evenings by moving water. One of the highlights was the trip to the supposedly "Pike free" water, mentioned in my article. I'm going back next season, to do a follow up, hopefully involving some fish!!

Of course, there was the Grayling day. Much plentiful enjoyment on the day. Many memories of all too brief encounters with small but beutifully formed Graying. Nice.

Two other, not neccesarily angling orientated events. I've got a new hip, so I can now walk even further, when chasing fish along rivers. The other a sad one, my fishing partner of 12 years, namely Musket my Dog, died in the new year. Very sad indeed, but luckily I can still sense his presence on the river bank and I'm still hoovering up his hairs from the back of the car!!! Somehow, I don't think I'll forget him for quite a while!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Well another season goes by and I still haven't got a Barbel There are not many rivers near me that have them in, although there is the river lea near me and although it has big barbel they say they can be a bit elusive, well I am going to be brave next season and give it a try. on the last day I caught a gudgeon on the river stort so things are heading in the right direction.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Guest Fred Guttfield

Not my worst season, but then again,not my best! High point definately a pb 5lb 12oz chub from Hants Avon. I also had a 5lb 4 oz chub from the Thames.

In the summer I had my best Thames barbel, 8lb 14oz, and next season I'll try again for a bigger one.

Carp were awkward but I had a 30lb 10oz mirror at the start of September. Earlier in the summer I had a really beautiful 26lb 12oz linear from a venue I rarely fish, but will visit more often now! I also had my first Thames carp by design.

This spring I'll be after a big carp or two, and once the rivers are open again I'm gonna fish the Thames for carp and barbel.

As usual I'll keep my diary here on AN upto date.

Tight lines!