A nice surprise

RUDD

Went for a quick two hour session Monday evening after Tench in the peg from my earlier post.

14ft match rod 5lb main line 3.6lb hooklength size 16 drennan carp match hook and a 4bb insert bodied waggler set in 10ft of water.

Feed the normal handfull of pellets and this time tried a bit of left of dinner corn on the hook.

Within ten mins a few Tench had rolled over the area and plenty of crucians were also poking their heads out.

Two missed bites and then what I thought was a big bream (up to 16lbs in the pool) rolled about thirty foot from the bank.

Not long after the float dipped and kept going and I struck into a very heavy weight which did not move!

After an age the fish kited to the left in a slow but powerfull nodding motion.

I had to reel so that the float was almost touching the rod tip as I applied so much side strain that the rod was in a monster curve and almost locked out.

The fish turned and made its way down the slope in to deeper water - it was not leaving the bottom.

The clutch was set correctly but it did not take any line but turned and came straight at me then turned to the right so it was almost underneath me where it then turned left back towards the snag.

The same pattern went on for twenty mins but I could not get it off the bottom no matter how much pressure I applied.

I was 100% certian that I had a monster bream on until finally it came up in the water and turned - a long orangy golden flash caught my eye and I knew I had a carp on (up to 30lb's in this water).

I turned to jelly as I knew from the fight that it was a good one and that with the tackle I was using that it could power away at will with a few flicks of its tail.

After about five more nail biting mins where I seemed to just about have control it came up to the surface where luckily for me I had a big pan net waiting with a three meter handle.

I slid the net under her opened up the bail arm dropped the rod onto the rest and shipped back the net.

It took two hands to lift the net head out of the water and I was shaking like a leaf.

I gently put her onto the unhooking mat and found the hook had dropped out in the net.

She was a grand old common with an orange colour to her perfect scales - not a mark on her.

After composing myself I zeroed the electronic scales and then weighed her - the scales finally locked at 22lb 6oz

Not a bad for my first Carp (excluding crucians) from the water, one of my seasons targets hit (every year I aim to land a 20lb carp) and to land it on medium weight float gear was the icing on the cake.

The only downside is that I still have not landed one of the elusive Tench but theres time yet :D .

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Cracking catch Rudd, even more impressive on the gear you were using. Just goes to show that you don't need 4lb test curve rods, alarms, etc to catch a lump.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I'm so jealous! Now why couldn't that have happened to me?!

Well done mate. Did you get a photo?

Gary.

No photo - by the time I had landed and weighed it it was getting darker by the second - rules state fishing allowed dawn to dusk so had to get my skates on - dont fancy getting banned as it took me 17 years to get a membership (last year).

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Great catch and hair raising stuff on that hook length :D

Those elusive Tench will keep for another day, it sounds like you have got on to a very interesting water and look forward to hearing a few more stories.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Congratulations on landing it on that gear, but commiserations on it being just a 'nuisance' carp, instead of one of the tench. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good arrows mate, scary stuff on that gear.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Went for a quick two hour session Monday evening after Tench in the peg from my earlier post.

14ft match rod 5lb main line 3.6lb hooklength size 16 drennan carp match hook and a 4bb insert bodied waggler set in 10ft of water.

Feed the normal handfull of pellets and this time tried a bit of left of dinner corn on the hook.

Within ten mins a few Tench had rolled over the area and plenty of crucians were also poking their heads out.

Two missed bites and then what I thought was a big bream (up to 16lbs in the pool) rolled about thirty foot from the bank.

Not long after the float dipped and kept going and I struck into a very heavy weight which did not move!

After an age the fish kited to the left in a slow but powerfull nodding motion.

I had to reel so that the float was almost touching the rod tip as I applied so much side strain that the rod was in a monster curve and almost locked out.

The fish turned and made its way down the slope in to deeper water - it was not leaving the bottom.

The clutch was set correctly but it did not take any line but turned and came straight at me then turned to the right so it was almost underneath me where it then turned left back towards the snag.

The same pattern went on for twenty mins but I could not get it off the bottom no matter how much pressure I applied.

I was 100% certian that I had a monster bream on until finally it came up in the water and turned - a long orangy golden flash caught my eye and I knew I had a carp on (up to 30lb's in this water).

I turned to jelly as I knew from the fight that it was a good one and that with the tackle I was using that it could power away at will with a few flicks of its tail.

After about five more nail biting mins where I seemed to just about have control it came up to the surface where luckily for me I had a big pan net waiting with a three meter handle.

I slid the net under her opened up the bail arm dropped the rod onto the rest and shipped back the net.

It took two hands to lift the net head out of the water and I was shaking like a leaf.

I gently put her onto the unhooking mat and found the hook had dropped out in the net.

She was a grand old common with an orange colour to her perfect scales - not a mark on her.

After composing myself I zeroed the electronic scales and then weighed her - the scales finally locked at 22lb 6oz

Not a bad for my first Carp (excluding crucians) from the water, one of my seasons targets hit (every year I aim to land a 20lb carp) and to land it on medium weight float gear was the icing on the cake.

The only downside is that I still have not landed one of the elusive Tench but theres time yet :D .

Congratulations on your 20lb plus Carp, Rudd. I wonder what my first ever fish will be after so many years out of the water? I wait with baited breath-and I mean baited! Your story is inspirational.

Nice one! I lost a good carp today on a 5lb hooklength, i reckon he was close to 15 lb but he shot off and within a matter of seconds....ping :angry:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."