New record "Roach"?

Dick Dastardly

Report and pictures of a 4lb 4ozs "roach" in the Angling Times.Caught by a pleasure angler on a stick float and maggot from a small stream off the River Trent.Only problem is the uncertainty that its a true roach.What do you guys think,is it isnt it,does it matter,how can we be sure of future records,or previous ones for that matter?

Quick one for Elton/moderators/any legal eagles here-what would be the score if I was to scan and post the picture from the paper here for all to see.Would it cause a problem or be illegal or what?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope it is a true roach, if so, what a fish on a traditional bait and method by someone who could only dream of a record.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

As far as records go, it'd be fanbtastic if it were a true roach. But with species such as roach, which hybridise very readily with other species, it's very hard to tell with a scale count etc.

The only probable sure fire way, would be to retain the fish for examination. Keeping it alive would be tricky, clonking it on the head would be totally wrong. Still, it's a lovely fish.

It kind of reminds me of the story of the worlds oldest tree. I believe it was in the US (Giant Redwood?) and scientists wanted to examine a specimen, to find out how old it was. It was only after they cut it down and counted the growth rings, that they worked out it was the oldest tree in the world.Doh!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

BUDGIE:

Quick one for Elton/moderators/any legal eagles here-what would be the score if I was to scan and post the picture from the paper here for all to see.Would it cause a problem or be illegal or what?

Sorry, but Leon is correct. I or one of the other mods would have to edit for legal reasons :(

I hope they do agree that it's a genuine roach, but it's a great looking fish no matter what it turns out to be.

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

i too would like for it to be a record,(one caught by design!)

but alas i dont think it is a roach,the fish looks way too darkespecially along its back extending down into its flank,its lips/mouth dont look right and i beleive it was stated in the paper its letral line count is out a bit(alotho apparently it does vary in roach)

i personally think its a roach/chub hybrid i think k.arthur mentions ide soemwhere in there?

[ 12. January 2005, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

quote:

Budgie, you'd be breaching copyright

If it gets posted elsewhere on the internet, then you could post a link.

Was going to paste a link but not sure if directing people to another angling site is frowned on or not. Someone's scanned a pic on MD's though if anyones interested in having a look.

Paul

something about it's gob doesn't look right to me...

got some Ide in it me thinks

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

awaaar:

something about it's gob doesn't look right to me...

got some Ide in it me thinks

Andy

Reminds me of an Edna Everage comment when talking about ethnicity 'I wish I had some pole in me!'

On the subject of the thread, though: Pure-bred or hybrid doesn't alter the fact that it's a beautiful fish, and I bet it put up an awesome scrap.

I saw the pic in the AM and counted the scales on the lateral line - 43. That's in line with what's expected of a roach. Unable to count the rays on the dorsal fin though.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

"Reminds me of an Edna Everage comment when talking about ethnicity 'I wish I had some pole in me!'"

:D

just thinking out loud Al - your right though, cracking fish, mongrel or not

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields