maxima for mainline float fishing

Bradford Angler

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamond,

Age is not an important factor. Exposure to light is the damaging element. I have seen mono (any good brand) become worthless when exposed to UV for any length of time.

Phone

PS For some reason it doesn't seem to get better (the damage)further down in the spool?

phonebush:

Diamond,

Age is not an important factor.  Exposure to light is the damaging element.  I have seen mono (any good brand) become worthless when exposed to UV for any length of time.

Phone

PS For some reason it doesn't seem to get better (the damage)further down in the spool?

No so, my friend!

Age IS a very important factor depending on the storage conditions. Of course UV is important, but it's only one factor, if a major one. Oxygen and water(from air) are others (which is why some spools are vac-packed) and, as the rate of every single chemcial reaction (degradation in this case) increases with increasing temperature (trust me!), the storage time and temperature have a bearing too. Obviously the generation of radicals e.g. from oxygen is one major cause of the degradation of the polymer chains, but this is not the only chemcal reaction or physical change going on!

Personally I'd like to see the Date of Manufacture printed on every spool.

Even some of the claimed initial BSs aren't what you might think (see Dave Barham's ace article on Elton's site here)

I guess this is why many anglers are changing-over to HPPE braids which are not immune but far less susceptible to this kind of degradation. Anyway, why take the risk with old mono? It's cheap enough to buy new stuff

Fortunately though, many monos are over-rated re their initial BS which gives some leeway, and who really truly knows what BS they really need in their everyday fishing. Diameter, wet-castability, suppleness, wet knot strength, visibility to fish etc etc are some other important factors. This is where HPPE braids come into their own, except of course when it comes to abrasion resistance (as discussed at length elsewhere)

Tough lines

Diamond G

[ 13. January 2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Interesting that so many posters seem to agree with me that Maxima is a good line - I expected to get told I was way out of date.

One point I didn't mention is that Maxima is as tough as old boots - abrasion-wise and degradation-wise. Never had problems with degradation, but I keep my bulk spools in a cool, dry, dark cupboard - and buy the bulk spools from a reputable dealer (and test them as soon as I get them home) Buying a "job lot" of line because it is cheap seems false economy to me. Maxima in bulk is not expensive anyway.

Certainly Maxima is usually thicker than is claimed on the spool - but if you are serious about fishing, you need to check diameters for yourself with a micrometer, and test the breaking strains as well (dry, wet and knotted).

BTW don't use a spring balance to check breaking strains - you risk damaging your balance when the line eventually breaks. Use a bag tied to the line to which you can progressively add weights until the line breaks. Then use your spring balance to weigh the total weight in the bag at breaking point.

[ 13. January 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,

Sometimes it is hard to improve on a good idea.

Diamond,

As with any statement, mine can/could be challanged on the basis of science. Single strand fishing lines (mono)as a rule of thumb for top grades ie. Maxima, have about a 3 million year half life without the presents of UV. I suppose you are correct. Let me restate my claim. Use Maxima that is less than 1 and 1/2 million year old and you'll be OK. If it is in the heat you may have a line memory problem after about five hundred thousand years. OTOH if you take it with you break dancing where they use UV driven or various black lights it may begin to become trash in a week or two. Bad place to go if you have skin cancer too.

Phone

I must confess I've not read all the threads.

But, has anyone tried Maxima Green?

Brilliant stick float fishing line and hook length - it floats. So gives excellent presentation in both departments.

It's hard to get hold of, not many retailers stock it. I think it's worth the effort to locate.

DCB