Abrasion & Mono

Steve Walker

I lost a decent fish last night, probably a good tench, though it could have been a carp. The end of the line came back with the last 2-3 inches roughened and abraded. I'm annoyed that I didn't get the fish, but more annoyed still that it's now swimming round with a #8 in its chops.

This was from a fairly shallow and fairly flat-bottomed gravel pit. It doesn't have the dramatic gravel bars that some pits have, but it clearly has something capable of cutting line. I lost a fish there to line abrasion last year, but that was at close range due to old abrasion , my own fault for not checking my line post-Wingham. This time, I was using new line.

I'm using 8lb Daiwa Sensor. I'm reluctant to fish heavier than that for tench. I think I remember some posts about tougher mono recently - has anyone found anything significantly better than Sensor?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use and recommend 8lb Pro Gold for Wingham. It's very abrasion-resistant but still supple. See my review at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/tackle-and-bai...ws/progold.html.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I lost a decent fish last night, probably a good tench, though it could have been a carp. The end of the line came back with the last 2-3 inches roughened and abraded. I'm annoyed that I didn't get the fish, but more annoyed still that it's now swimming round with a #8 in its chops.

This was from a fairly shallow and fairly flat-bottomed gravel pit. It doesn't have the dramatic gravel bars that some pits have, but it clearly has something capable of cutting line. I lost a fish there to line abrasion last year, but that was at close range due to old abrasion , my own fault for not checking my line post-Wingham. This time, I was using new line.

I'm using 8lb Daiwa Sensor. I'm reluctant to fish heavier than that for tench. I think I remember some posts about tougher mono recently - has anyone found anything significantly better than Sensor?

Yes. Pro Tough: http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/pro-t...lb-1000m-p22277

I use Sensor a lot as you know, but decided to try something different this season for the gravel pit fishing for exactly the reason you describe. Sensor is tough old stuff, but it doesn't stand up to the bars very well.

I've now had 4 sessions with the Pro Tough and had quite a few hard fighting tench, a few of which have taken me around bars and got stuck behind bars, and the line is still unmarked. It's quite remarkable to be honest! It is also nice and supple and casts very well and I feel I can recommend it on the strength of only a few sessions. Way better than Sensor.

I use 10lb line for tench, which might sound heavy, but I can't see any advantage in going lighter.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I like Sensor but have been using Fox Soft Steel for my Tench Fishing, it seems to have good abrasion resistance and is also very supple. Like Anderoo I like to use 10lb. The only hesitation I would have with recomending it, is that I don't tend to fish over bars and so it has not had a full work out yet, but I have had fish go over bars and it's stood up well. I used it all season last year and touch wood did not get cut off once.

I am planning on giving Korda Kontour Flurocarbon a try and have loaded a few spools. It's supposed to have good abrasion resistance if you believe the advertising :rolleyes: but I think I will be the judge of that. But I do like the idea of its sinking properties to pin everthing down and can see how it could prove a very good line for fishing in certain swims.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I am another advocate of the Terry Eustace pro series line but in my case I use pro-clear in 10lb b.s. which is slightly thinner than pro-gold or pro-tough and is very supple. It has stood up to abrasion surprisingly well even though there have been a few hairy moments with the gravel bars at Wingham. I always use a metre of anchor tube both to pin down the line and protect the bottom end and this has tended to work well. The biggest difference that I can see between the pro-clear and the other pro lines is that it breaks very close to the stated breaking strain and not a few pounds over.

I like Sensor but have been using Fox Soft Steel for my Tench Fishing, it seems to have good abrasion resistance and is also very supple. Like Anderoo I like to use 10lb.

I have soft steel and fox camo on several of my reels and use it in a river with lots of abrasive rocks and it's been fine. Another line that I use in the river and is very tough is nash bullet.

The biggest difference that I can see between the pro-clear and the other pro lines is that it breaks very close to the stated breaking strain and not a few pounds over.

I agree. 10lb Pro Clear is equivalent to 8lb Pro Gold or 8lb Pro Tough. The latter two seem very similar except for colour (Pro Tough is flourescent).

I use Pro Clear in 16lb for heavier work. It's thinner than Pro Gold/Pro Tough for a given breaking strain, but I don't think it's quite as abrasion-resistant.

By the way, Pro Gold is hard to find in the lighter breaking strains as most shops cater just for the carp market. I get mine from Birmingham Angling Centre (tel 0121-373-6627), that used to be Terry Eustace's old shop before he started Gold Label. Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Over the years Ive used 8lb mono mainlines a lot on gravel pits for carp (long range work),bream and tench. Never had a problem...but then in 90% of these situations Ive used a 15-20lb Amnesia leader! simple ;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have soft steel and fox camo on several of my reels and use it in a river with lots of abrasive rocks and it's been fine. Another line that I use in the river and is very tough is nash bullet.

Soft Steel and Fox Camo have become my main lines over the last few years for almost all my big species fishing situaions and so far no snap offs, breaks or cut offs that seem to get posted about on these forums. I do like Sensor though for my small species fishing, it's cheap and cheeful and a good line for the price point.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I used Terry Eustace pro gold when it first came out maybe 15 years ago.

It was only availeable in 10lb upwards to start with and then lighter weights were added. It was my main line for a number of years.

I did however find it aged. I was stalking chub one day and felt the line was very rough. Not abrasion but consistent along its length and also on the reel below were it was used. I did not worry as I would normally have changed my line quicker.

I always thought the pro gold was very similar to one of the berkeley range. Lines of which I have always thought very good.

For my general work I am using Tubertini gorrilla feeder which at 8lbs is 0.235 diameter. It casts very well for feeder work and is thin for its weight. Diameter is very important to me when fishing feeder rods up in the air beachcaster style on large stillwaters. Cross winds affects larger lines much more.

For larger stillwater use and bigger fish I am now using Korda adrenalin in 10lbs bs.

I am about due to put fresh on again and will probably buy the same again.

That is unless reading this thread changes my mind.

Regards

John