Big River Perch

Andy Macfarlane

On a mission tomorrow for some big river perch. I was going to collect lobs but I'm going out so I'm going to fish maggots and maybe fish spinners for a bit. I should bang a few trout in the process but hopefully the Sergeants will make an appearance.

I haven't really fished for river perch much as a target species. I tend to get the odd one here and there as a fluke add-on to whatever else I'm aiming for.

I wonder, apart from the spinning, which I'm fairly adept at, how do you think I should go for the perch? I'll probably fish maggots but I'm not ruling worms out.

Loosefeed, feeder, leger, float under obvious shades & bushes in the slower glides....what?

I'll be popping in tomorrow morning for a look before I head off to the tackle shoppe for provisions. I reckon I know stillwater perch pretty well but rivers? I'm a bit baffled. Any bright ideas would be useful.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I like to float fish (trot) worms or fish a free running maggot feeder with worm on the hook.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Is there no closed season up there ?
By law only for game fish. An individual fishery can of course make up it's own rules but if there is public access to fish for coarse fish then no there is no close season. At lest that's the way it was when I lived there.

On a mission tomorrow for some big river perch. I was going to collect lobs but I'm going out so I'm going to fish maggots and maybe fish spinners for a bit. I should bang a few trout in the process but hopefully the Sergeants will make an appearance.

I haven't really fished for river perch much as a target species. I tend to get the odd one here and there as a fluke add-on to whatever else I'm aiming for.

I wonder, apart from the spinning, which I'm fairly adept at, how do you think I should go for the perch? I'll probably fish maggots but I'm not ruling worms out.

Loosefeed, feeder, leger, float under obvious shades & bushes in the slower glides....what?

I'll be popping in tomorrow morning for a look before I head off to the tackle shoppe for provisions. I reckon I know stillwater perch pretty well but rivers? I'm a bit baffled. Any bright ideas would be useful.

May I ask which river we are talking of Andy?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I always fish for them very simply. Weight, hook length and a size 8 with a bit fat lob and feed chopped worm and MUD! Where the bushes touch the water have always produced well for me or in wier pools very close to the wier!

gone

i would fish a maggot feeder to locate the prey fish and then a small live bait in the same area will target the larger perch. low light conditon are always favorable. what type of river are you fishing? fast, sallow, etc

This might seem a pedantic point, but do you mean big-river perch, or big perch from a river generally?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Andy, this article of mine might help; http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...mmer_perch.html.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Andy livebaits work well :rolleyes:;):whistling:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

This might seem a pedantic point, but do you mean big-river perch, or big perch from a river generally?
This thought occurred to me. I think he might be talking about the River Leven (the Loch Lomond one.) In that case it would be potentially big perch from a rather large river.

It's a funny old river. It's not very long, about 7 miles from source to sea, but it because it the overflow from the loch it starts off as a fairly large river, about 60 foot across and is fast, turbulent and deep. Ground baiting would be a waste of time. Your ground bait will be a hundred yards downstream before it gets anywhere near the bottom.

If you have Google Earth you can see it in this .kmz file.

Source_of_R._Leven.kmz

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote