Who's been shooting cormorants?

Leon Roskilly

While visiting a fishery during my UK trip last year, I remarked to the fishery manager that there were no cormorants on the water. "No" he said, "they are not allowed here".

I wonder how he keeps them away? :confused: :)

[ 15. August 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen just one this year on the Thames. Strange considering the huge numbers of silver fish/fry that we've had in the water over the last few seasons. Same goes for the little bit of norfolk that I regularly fish. Very rarely see one. Coincidentally both areas have a lone heron in residence along with marsh harriers. Just wondering if that's what keeps the cormorants at bay. Personally I'd swop a cormorant or two for the hordes of canada geese that can occasionally ruin a day on the river.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• 5 years later...

Shot six of the blighters last week, and another two today. And the licence?.......don't ask. Problem is that the kingfishers (used to guarantee to see one on every river expedtition) and the small brown trout (the source of future sea trout) seem to still be absent from my river (well, decimated, in the case of the brown trout). The evening rise is a thing of the past.

Maybe the RSPB should be invited to express their preference...cormorants or kingfishers?

Resurecting a five year old thread to publicly admit to a wildlife crime that can be tracked directly back to you via your ISP is just a bit dumb...........

Edit: Oh, and welcome to anglersnet.

PS. I'd Use the edit button to delete it if I were you.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

havent seen any this year :confused:

They are all camouflaged up for transporting the otters to new locations...

Don't shoot the poor innocent birds throttle the buggers who want to protect them...

While you're at it do the same for all those who are anti angling...

Who are they a tiny but loud misguided minority...

We outnumber them by hundreds of thousands...

Get off your rears and write to your MP and ask them their position on fishing and shooting and if they are against it don't vote for them...

Then shoot, poison, blow up, or exterminate with extreme prejudice all the bloody cormorants and the bloody otters that are in the wrong place or cannot be supported on their main and natural diet...

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I'd take heed of Ken, whigwood. Welcome all the same.

I wonder what Cormorant tastes like? Not seen so many on the Broads in recent years and the fishing still appears to be good so the food source is still there. Have to admit I like seeing more Otters about. I'd honestly throttle anyone who tried to kill one in its natural habitat.

As for the anti's... Personally I think they are a good advert to continue eating meat and fish, it obviously damages the brain living on leaf litter alone.

FYI there is always a vegetarian option on offer for guests at my house, you can **** Off!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Then shoot, poison, blow up, or exterminate with extreme prejudice all the bloody cormorants and the bloody otters that are in the wrong place or cannot be supported on their main and natural diet...

The thing is the cormorants and otters etc belong on the rivers and such but are persecuted by people who know no better. When I was a gamekeeper I would shoot and trap all manner of creatures all in the aim to please my employers and save a few of the gamebirds from being eaten. I'd much rather put a few extra birds down to help feed the wildlife now I've grown a brain.

Resurecting a five year old thread to publicly admit to a wildlife crime that can be tracked directly back to you via your ISP is just a bit dumb...........

Edit: Oh, and welcome to anglersnet.

PS. I'd Use the edit button to delete it if I were you.

Who's "dumb"? I didn't say what I shot them with.

The thing is the cormorants and otters etc belong on the rivers and such but are persecuted by people who know no better. When I was a gamekeeper I would shoot and trap all manner of creatures all in the aim to please my employers and save a few of the gamebirds from being eaten. I'd much rather put a few extra birds down to help feed the wildlife now I've grown a brain.

I do not dispute where you are coming from and I fully agree that otters are natural as are cormorants, however often species either die out or simply move on in the natural environment just as we humans moved around. Yes humans have done no end of damage to our environment. What I am objecting to is the false reintroduction of otters to areas which they no longer have their prime food source. Nobody knows why the eels vanished but they have, which means the otters prime food source has vanished, cormorants are by nature coastal birds.

I would not mind betting a lot of the non indigenous water and bankside life (zander, signal crayfish and whatever) we are now suffering from were introduced by moronic greenies as I personally believe the spread of many parasites is also spread by such misguided and misinformed individuals and groups.

With the increase of foxes, badgers, magpies into urban areas it will not be long before a national cull is called for of all wildlife urban invading species. supported by scientists and the government due to public pressure, it will only take one or two attacks on children or people for it to happen.

My big objection is to the ill considered and ill advised reintroduction of species into areas in which they no longer have their prime food source. Again I am not moving solely against the species but against the foolhardiness and pure stupidity of those individuals who introduce or reintroduce such species.

Please anyone reading this don't start what scientists say as they like archaeologists and historians change their minds every few years or bend to the will and desires of their political paymasters.

I think you may be interested in this - - - Rabid otter mauls Venice walker, 96

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general...tory?id=4977315 its towards the bottom of the page. Or this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...fish-ponds.html

One hint of rabies and they are all gone. Too many urban ponds get raided and they will soon be gone, a child or two bitten and its the same result.

This is what I am on about the thoughtless introduction, reintroduction and I more than expect the illegal introduction or reintroduction of any such species.

A few otters on the river no problem, special breeding centres and campaigns, big problem, the people running them have a vested interest in keeping breeding and reintroduction programs going - their salaries which are an unnecessary drain on an already almost bankrupt country, for doing very little.

Greenie groups just start looking into salaries for members of such registered charities or organisations.

It's not about nature or wildlife its all about high salaries for doing not only very little but an unnecessary and unwanted job. That money could be far better spend or reducing the numbers of children living below the poverty line in this country or redeveloping industry in this country. I look upon such groups as I do the art world, the entertainment world and the anyone who seems or appears to receive an inordinate amount of money from the public purse.

When is money spent to really clean our rivers? When is money spent to refurbish our waterways? When is money spent to refurbish our navigational waterways?

Incidentally it is human nature and quite natural for humans to persecute other species along with each other.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I didn't say what I shot them with.

Well, your mention of a licence in your original post rules out non-lethal "shooting" with a camera and the word "I" underlined above clears up the who - But it's your call.

BTW. I'll happily go back and edit my posts on this thread to something boring if you choose to edit but if people start quoting you, it's going to get difficult to clean up the trail.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.