Anyone got a Breadmaker?

Rusty

Just bought one of these as my May payday gadget. I always end up wasting half of a shop bought loaf so I thought I’d try making my own, I did the research and decided on the Panasonic SD 256 (on offer at Argos at the moment @ £79.99).

At best I thought it would be up to shop standard but the bread this thing produces is way better than anything I’ve bought from a supermarket. It’ll do different sized loaves and if you want to just make the dough for, say, pizzas it’ll do that too. I’ve used packet mixes for the initial experiments and the loaf is ready in 2 hours, using all the separate ingredients takes 4 hours but is cheaper and probably more fun. The timer allows you set it going overnight.

I always thought these machines were one minute wonders but it produces better bread than I can buy. Should pay for itself in about ten years I reckon :D .

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris wifey has used one of these for years - as you said much better bread than you can buy - does go stale a lot quicker - though that's never a problem as it doesn't last that long. Do tend to eat more bread though - we get through a loaf a DAY when the boys are both home - standard procedure is to make it overnight so its ready for breakfast. Thought it would be a one minute wonder but Jaq is now on her 2nd machine after her first one quite literally wore out!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I bought a cheapo one a few years back, but wish I'd bought a 'whistle and bells' one, like yours sounds.

How much does a packet mix cost?

I would consider buying one for the wife and kids, but rarely eat bread myself these days. Unless it's wrapped around a lamb salad*, that is.

* a.k.a. a doner kebab :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

How much does a packet mix cost?

Dunno - Jaq has never used one - preferring to experiment with different flours etc. Adding Spelt for example gives the bread a wonderful nutty flavour and she has a couple of wholegrain flours which makes terrific brown bread....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've had the old SD253 for about 7 years now, as you say, superb bread!

The mixes vary in price but usually 80p to a quid. Personally I tend to use a bit of extra fresh (dried?!?) yeast to the mixes as frequently they can be a bit old. I also tend to do them on a longer programme these days. Rapid's good in an emergency but longer is better :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

You can get loads of interesting flours and mix them to make your own breads - spelt flour is great, rye flour is also interesting (though if you are not careful with it, you end up with Terry Pratchett's dwarf bread).

Ha! Ha! I used to sell Dwarf Bread. I swear to you, that's true :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Collectibles?

Yep, part of the Discworld range, 'fresh' from Ironcrust's Bakery :)