PETA

monkeyboy

@bbc.co.uk

Sean Gifford, director of campaigns at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, says the research supports its stance that fish do feel pain:

For many, many years we have been anti-angling.

This study is just another one proving that what we have been saying is true - fish are capable of feeling pain.

They may not be as cute or cuddly as a cat or dog, but they still feel pain and want to avoid it just like us.

but there is nothing sporting about tricking a small animal into death by hooking a sharp implement into its mouth. For years anglers have been using the defence that fish can't feel pain, but there is nothing sporting about tricking a small animal into death by hooking a sharp implement into its mouth.

You can't ignore the fact that at the end of the line is a terrified animal in a desperate struggle for its life.

I cant believe his misconceptions that every angler KILLS the fish. And doesnt unhook and return the fish in an extremely cautious manner as the majority of us do!

PETA are proper narrow minded IMPS who revise nothing about what they are talking about they make me so mad

I think the thing that really get up my nose is that Prof Rose's report stating that fish did not have the nessasary part of the brain to feel pain,PETA disputed this report as biased and incorrect.

But this new report is correct in there opinion.

As anglers i think we are just going to have to accept that any report that aggree's with there argument will be accepted as fact.They are not prepaired to look at anything that disputes there research,and as far as I'm aware this latest report was funded by an animal rights group,so of course it was going to reach the conclusions that it did.

No matter what scientific 'proof' anglers want, or want not, to believe, it is the perception of the people, majority or not, that counts.

There will not be any threat to angling, in our lifetime, by banning legislation, just a gradual chipping away at minority interests in any area they think they can win.

All this will be done by making it less attractive for a newcomer to take up angling, either by making it more expensive or by nuisanse regulations. Lead shot and live-baiting are just a start. Ground-baiting might be next, on pollution grounds. Hillwalkers have been told in the past not to wear bright colours because of the visual pollution they cause. It might sound crazy but this has happened in Dorset. About a mile or so of beach-side car-parking between Abbotsbury and West Bexington is no longer available because the county coast warden thought the cars were causing visual pollution. That's several hundred places to fish gone, except if you want to carry your gear half a mile.

All this could have been said about shooting and fox-hunting a century ago and been laughed at.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

if they get their way every fish WILL be killed after all in germany i think its illegal to fish for sport just for food returning fish is technically illegal

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I agree Joe but don't we do just the same? We all stood up a applauded the original report that said fish don't feel pain and yet we now knock this new one. It's not a criticism it's just the way of the world. We all fight our own corner and will not accept anything else as right if it goes against our own beliefs. Just look at the various religious situations around the world that cause wars etc. I don't think we will ever get something like PETA to change its mind or go away, there will always be detractors in anything that involves animals. We just have to stand tall and defend our selfs as best we can and make sure that we keep our house in order. There seems to be support in the government so hopefully this will help. What doesn't help is the sensationalist press that this got. What is with these idiots? Of course there was no mention of the previous report to give a balanced view so now the non fishing public may have a different opinion, and I can't imagine the press will suddenly backpedal :mad: :mad:

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

"You can't ignore the fact that at the end of the line is a terrified animal in a desperate struggle for its life."

If that was a PETA quote, it shows that they have misunderstood (or deliberately missed)the part of the report stating that fish do not posess the brain functions necessary to experience an emotion such as terror. If that really was the case, what must they experience when a cormorant goes diving after them, biting chunks out of their bodies. They'll be saying next that putting fish into a keepnet makes them feel embarrassed.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Sharpe:

They'll be saying next that putting fish into a keepnet makes them feel embarrassed.

Many a true word is spoken in jest!!

Read the PETA quote again. It refers to fish as being animals. They are not, they are fish, living organisms. Fish do not feel pain as animals and humans do. These are facts that PETA can gloss over but in doing so they devalue their own arguments. A fish is a living organism just as is a blade of corn. PETA members would appear to wish that we all become vegetarians. In doing so we would need to kill corn, a living organism. Many PETA supporters, especially in America, are grossly overweight. They eat for fun. In doing so they needlessly destroy living organisms. A tenuous arguement? Maybe! But ALL human activity has a consequence on the naturel world. PETA distributes printed propaganda, how many trees needlessly die to support that activity? Many PETA supporters are grossly wealthy, wealthy from an industry that is incredibly wasteful of naturel resorces, yet they do not use that wealth to relieve human suffering. Much of their wealth is from the music/entertainment industry, an industry that needs electricity to power it. The fossil fuel that is wasted by that activity! I'm sure that the silicon that has been pumped into Pamela Anderson could have been used for much more socially aware benefits!! The majority of PETA supporters are American, a country that did not sign up to the Keyoto (spelling?) agreement to reduce fossil fuel waste. A factious arguement, but no more so than the bilge that PETA pumps out,

Maybe its time for anglers to go on the attack? PETA is so full of contradictions that it would be a very easy target indeed, a target that would be very easy to ridicule. Perhaps angling bodies world-wide should unite and work on this one. PETA is world wide, why not angling?

[ 05. May 2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:
According to statistics kept by state regulators, PETA euthanized 1,325 of the 2,103 animals it took in during 1999.

That must be way below what the RSPCA does.