Lamprey for pike

Lee-sox

i recently read an article about blood lust in predators. This article was about chub but it also mentioned pike.

the bait they were useing was lamprey.

I am just curious what others think about this extremely bloody bait and what people have caught on it, as i have never thought of useing it untill now.

Lee

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

I bought eel section from a tackle shop for a days pike fishing and it ended my run of pike blanks within a few minutes of casting out. I think they are bloody brilliant for pike, not used lampray though due to availability.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I haven't actualy bought any Lamprey this year as I had plenty in the freezer and I have to admit to being ignorant of a supply problem with them.....strange that we're worried about damaging stocks of a parasite though... :confused: Anyhow, Lamprey was very succesful for me last winter but haven't done a lot of Pike fishing this year. Messy though! and your sandwiches don't quite taste right after baiting up..... :D

Paul

bulster:

Are they really a parasite?

cheers

Lee

Yes they are. They attach themselves to the underbelly of a fish and use their teeth to scrape away the flesh....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

quote:

Are they really a parasite?

They are straight out of some horror flick, boring through the scales & flesh of the host fish with circular teeth. However, I was'nt aware that their numbers were threatened.

They are a good bait & I've caught a lot of fish on them, but a while back I fished them alongside Launces & they come a poor second!

So if you can find a supplier for Launces, they are definately worth a go.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Jus been doing some research on the lamprey and they are very very nasty creatures, attaching themselves to a host and staying there until they drain it dry.

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

At certauin times of the year (spring) there used to be literally thousands of lampreys in the River Wear at Durham during the early eighties. Every depression on the river bed would have great knots of about 50 all strugling to spawn, almost every bolder would 2 or 3 hanging on by their suckers and they'd be all over gravel runs. I'd often see one or two attached to my waders when fly fishing.

Interesting animals but definately weird things!!They were all about a foot long and seemed to die after spawing. They'd be around for a week or two and then gone. Don't know if they still appear in the same numbers, but anyone with a landing net could have collected enough for a years pike fishing in about 5 mins back then!