my weekends fishing etc

John Weddup

Well as in my post friday it was off to the fens.

I spent friday afternoon first buying bait and tackle at Benwicks of Soham. First class bait at reasonable prices and a good allround tackle shop.

I then spent several hours traveling up and down the ouse from littleport to denver to learn a bit more about the river. Its not easy when you live 40/50 miles away. Thats why I love google earth you can have a good look on the computer and then in real life and it all eventually comes together with a better understanding.

I spend hours reading old fishing reports and studying waters and I do think it pays.

Anyway was looking at the underfished L.A.A. waters mainly and identified several spots with good access and parking. The trouble is most are very overgrown with large amount of bullrushes along the edge. I managed to clear a couple with my new made weedcutter and was thinking about where to fish when I heard a siren behind me. A fire engine. Then another and another and firemen appeared everwhere. Walking the banks. I decided peace and quiet was required. I asked what it was all about to be told someone had reported a cow in the river. Strange as there are no cows grazing anywhere near the river. I think one of the retained firemans wives wanted him to earn some overtime. Four fire engines two fire cheifs cars and god knows how many fireman lokking for a suspected cow in the river.

I moved back to Kings Lynn waters further towards Denver. As the old saying goes I will be back.

Chatted to several anglers as I do and decided on a nice spot beyong modney bridge. Set up bivvy on bank and got some bait in. It was then I realised the slightly muddy area in front of me was where the river was just breaching the bank. Thats ok its only a small area. It started to rain about 8pm which was fine as I was not going to fish the evening but get a couple of hours sleep in the old disco before starting before daybreak. Got my tackle ready and my head down.

Awoke at 2am and it was still pouring with rain and it was thundering in the distance. Waited till storm passed and headed to the bank. Thats when I realised just how much rain we had. The river had risen but as it was already level with the front of my swim it was now lapping at the bivvy door. Never mind lets get fishing. It started slowly one fish in the dark but things got better as the morning progressed. The peak period was much like last week about 5am to 10am which is a little unususl.

Anyway I had what I consider a fantastic mornings fishing. I had a few roach unlike last week where they failed to show and I had a my first fens tench of this season with hopefully many more to follow. It weighed 4 12. The biggest bream was 5 8. I enclose 2 photo,s from different angles. The total weight was 47lbs.

john206.jpg

john205.jpg

That the third really good river bag of fish in 3 sessions for me so am well pleased. I may now concentrate on the tench or a different even harder venue (the relief channel). Of course there is the unknown swims of the L.A.A. aswell and of course the cut off channel..

How am I going to get to the broads or back to the ocean pit or even barham that I have loved so much this year.

The fens just get you by the b**ls and don't let go.

Saturday afternoon the swim was a mud bath. I was sinking in the mud to almost loosing my boots. I read dalesdad comments about wet weather gear and needed it. I was dry and warm but the bank was giving way around me. The decision do I fish another night here and possibly catch more as bait is in or move. If I move where do i go with soaked gear. I also was on my own this weekend and could not settle to sleep during the afternoon as I am beside a public road. I hear many stories including on friday afternoon from other anglers about trouble with varoius ethnic groups. We have not had trouble but it still stops you resting comfortably on your own. If you are going to fish in to dark and before daybreak you have to have a rest during the day. The nights are so short at the moment.

I decided to head for home while I was still awake enough to drive safely. I had a really good session and a good look around on friday so felt I and the fens had done me proud. Back again next weekend hopefully. I was going to spend sunday at work to help with getting away next weekend but on the way home thought I haven't fished the waggler lately.

Quick diversion to tackle shop and 2 pints of caster later was getting organised for a waggler session for roach on a large stillwater. I intended to lay in until 7am so big bream tench etc where out of the question it was good old reliable sunny weather feeding roach. It was a very nice sesssion feeding copious amounts of caster but catching the better fish on sweetcorn. I do love fishing the float but after a couple of hours of bagging roach to about 7 ozs I was starting to wish it was harder.

My angling has changed. No longer do I want to sit and fish for bites. I am happy to wait for better fish. I really enjoyed a few hours at it and the bag of roach in the net was lovely to see but its a now and then thing with me. I would rather have one small roach from a venue really hard to catch anything from. Its not as though size really matters either just like watatoad says although I do weigh and photograph what I can. I mainly weigh and photograph for these reports other than that I can hardly remember my best weights as tommorrow is more important than the past.

Thanks to any who read this and feel like commenting.

All comments encourage me to write again so you have been warned.

regards

John

Edited by John Weddup

Cracking reports you've been posting John. If you tire of your Fens Odessy and fancy a go on the Broads let me know as a little later in the Summer I fancy a crack on a couple of old favourite stretches of the River Yare if you fancy it?

Proper fishing that John, thanks for writing it up. Looking forward to the next installment!

I know exactly what you mean about new challenges and fishing that makes you think. That's what it's all about :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Fantastic report John, Its really getting me going for taking a trip to the fens myself!

dant, would also be interested in a Yare session if i may be so bold, I haven't much experience bar the Brundall boatyards. Plus anyone is welcome to join me on the northern broads, just give me a PM and we'll get it sorted.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

My angling has changed. No longer do I want to sit and fish for bites. I am happy to wait for better fish. I really enjoyed a few hours at it and the bag of roach in the net was lovely to see but its a now and then thing with me. I would rather have one small roach from a venue really hard to catch anything from. Its not as though size really matters either just like watatoad says although I do weigh and photograph what I can.

I know what you mean - these days I am more than happy to specimen fish rather than catch a bag of small fish although when fishing matches I dont mind a silver fish bag (16lb of Rudd/Roach last week for 4th and a section win).

Good call on packing up and leaving when you knew it would be the safe thing to do.

I have seen semi drunk anglers crawling into beach shelters at Aldburgh dirty wall BELOW the obvious mark left by high storm tides - maddness.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thankyou all for your encouraging replies. Of course I did warn you it will probably mean I will clutter up the forum with another episode soon.

Dant

Yes the yare is on my list of must have a go. I remember the help in fishing spot location you gave me a couple of years ago. I may sneak a day there soon if I can get away from work even earlier than usual.

If I can travel up on a Thursday evening I may have a day on the friday. My query before was for northern bank access as I stayed at Oby but now I am aproaching from the south I guess Beauchamp arms is the best to head for.

I still want to fish my beloved Bure and Thurne but I do need to win the lottery too find the time.

Can you get access anywhere else easily it looks to me langley pump has road access.

Anderoo I also remember all the help you gave me with local info on the fens I hope you are pleased with outcome.

Infact I have received lots of help from this forum including this year from Tincatinca with lengthy p.m.s regarding G.A.P.S. waters which I spent the close season at.

Renrag

where do you fish on the northern broads?.

Rudd

yes the drunken anglers are a menace. Harleston club ban all alchohol but I witnessed a barbeque being set up last time I was there and can only guess the cans the 4 were carrying were not lemonade.

I have been a fairly heavy drinker over the years but when out fishing never take any.

Oh well better get some work done so I can do it all again on friday. But until then I can plan whilst I am working.

Regards

John