What planet does this women live on

JackPike

Canals were built, mainly in the 18th century, as an essential transport network. The fact that they were waterways (and hence capable of holding fish) was incidental... water was the most effective mode of transport at that time.

Today, with our roads network clogged beyond capacity and a woeful public transport system, I applaud anybody who uses the canal towpaths for transport, whether for commuting or pleasure. They should certainly not be obstructed by foul-mouthed fat oafs on seat boxes.

There is nothing in angling that looks quite so ridiculous as lines of grown men dressed in brightly-coloured outdoor clothing, as far as the eye can see, wielding hugely-expensive poles in order to catch immature fish that an eight-year-old wouldn't bother to put in his jam jar.

There are custom-built holes in the ground for that ilk, overstocked with stupid small carp.

Female cyclists should be able to cycle in peace without being confronted by such genetic mutants as canal match anglers.

Class - PMSL :lol::lol::lol:

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part, I agree with the woman's complaints:

Have you managed to make the link work from the original post in this four year old topic?

Cos I haven't.

Nah, it's team match fishing I find depressing. Big blokes in bright clothing fishing ten yards apart as far as the eye can see... carrying vast amounts of expensive equipment... and seen to catch mainly very small fish.

And because of the nature of the way they fish, they are the anglers the general public is most likely to encounter.

And if "banter" - ie foul-mouthed ribaldry shouted from peg to peg - is evident, which it usually is, it is offensive to residents whose homes adjoin these venues... not to mention female cyclists, walkers, etc.

Of course it gives angling a bad name. And that's why I get a bit hot under the collar.

I think it was Bernard Venables who, when writing of match fishing, said rather sniffily that he fished against fish, not against men.

All these years on, I broadly agree.

lol

I kind of agree with that

>There is nothing in angling that looks quite so ridiculous as lines of grown men dressed in

> brightly-coloured outdoor clothing, as far as the eye can see, wielding hugely-expensive

> poles

sounds like they are out for roach. i see the same thing on my local canal all the time, mostly though its the high vis jackets for road workers and as soon as they see someone with fishing knowledge they swarm like flies round dog shite.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

>There is nothing in angling that looks quite so ridiculous as lines of grown men dressed in

> brightly-coloured outdoor clothing, as far as the eye can see, wielding hugely-expensive

> poles

sounds like they are out for roach. i see the same thing on my local canal all the time, mostly though its the high vis jackets for road workers and as soon as they see someone with fishing knowledge they swarm like flies round dog shite.

She definitely has a point. If you need so much gear it obstructs the path behind you then you need to rediscover what the point of fishing is - whatever that is it has nothing to do with how many kilograms of 8 inch roach you can get out of a canal by saturating the bottom with brown crumb. Half those fish probably croak it after being crammed in a keep net for 4 hours.

Having said that, one could tar any group with the same brush, including cyclists. I am a keen walker and get fed up of hordes of mountain bikers tearing past us on footpaths either inches away or expecting us to telepathically make way for there arrival so their "extreme sports" experience isn't interrupted. Oh, and they turn the paths into a World War I battlefield as soon as it rains.

Not all anglers are rude and irresponsible, and not all cyclists are either....

ohn my god another resurectd post from years ago, who keeps doing this?

I'm glad this one was resurected Peter.

To read some of the comments, refering to the anglers as being "of that ilk", "low class", and being in need of discovering "what angling is all about", makes me cringe.

It's no wonder angling struggles to be taken seriously.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

problem is its from 2004 and i can't get the link to work so can't comment on the specific article. The reason why i wonder how relevant it is now. on a streach of canal i know in east london you never see any one fishing any more. The Muggers have seen to that, also if you cycle there you had better go fast to avoid our hoody friends.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I know what you mean about some areas Peter, we've had the same on the Leeds and Liverpool.

The thing I was getting at about the thread was, that despite the original poster admitting he had made a mistake, and should have put it in the Sea Fishing section. (He also said it was about fishing in the Mersey Estuary). Someone decides to make a comment about canal anglers, and many others assume that's what it's about, and go on to decry a section of angling, that's different to theirs.

And all that without seeing the original article. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John