Anti-Fishing Campaign; Litter

Elton

I get a lot of news alerts here and, this week, there have been LOADS concerning discarded line.

So many, in fact, that my instincts tell me that it's likely there's an organised campaign right now against us, using that tactic.

Here's one from tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-14392985

Seriously, who calls the police because of some litter?!!!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton, the report says fishing line strung along pathways and roads. So its not litter but a concious act designed to cause pain and suffering.

You reckon this one may be a deliberate act? I hadn't really thought of that. I've read quite a few tonight (catching up on emails!), all of which have been about discarded line killing birds; maybe, in hindsight, I picked the wrong one to highlight my feelings. Doh!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The Police are on the ball................."An appeal for information has been made. Police said they would take a hard line with the culprits.........I presume it must have been Tynex then? ;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Elton, the report says fishing line strung along pathways and roads. So its not litter but a concious act designed to cause pain and suffering.

So what does this mean then? The "Eastern Europeans" have decimated our stocks of fish and wildfowl so are now turning to old people and children for their BBQ's? :o

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So what does this mean then? The "Eastern Europeans" have decimated our stocks of fish and wildfowl so are now turning to old people and children for their BBQ's? :o

:D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

People who have a grudge against others on two wheels have been using this tactic for years. It may have started with Resistance fighters in occupied France during WW2 who used head-high wire stretched across roads at night to decapitate Nazi motorcyclists.

Now it's local UK vigilantes targeting people who ride bikes on the pavement. :rolleyes:

ive followed line right back to litter bins(birds,foxes, etc etc raking in bins) sometimes even been able to trace line back to the £5.99 reel from which it came <_< . and found nests of it in bushes and trees. its always been really crap line(types in starter kits) which makes me think its someone out for a few beers and a laugh and cant be arsed to clean up after themselves.

any angler that takes their sport seriously wouldnt be doing this (i hope). so its not the angler that needs targeted but the ones who think its acceptable to leave litter of any kind. after all a beer can or carrier bag left by people going on a piknick are just as bad as line are they not ?

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

find line all the time and sadly a very tame robin that sat on your hand for maggots got caught up in some on a stump on the ground (no excuse it was even out of reach!) died last year .

you cant stop it unless you see it being dropped and ban the angler himself unfortunately.some people go to remarkable lengths to hide rubbish ,forcing their way into brambles or nettles to dump something far lighter than it was taking there ,some people are very strange.

saying that rubbish breeds rubbish unfortunately

lines just being picked on and as said plastic bags are killing turtles in huge numbers (not seen any around here for years ,i blame the land fill site :D ) and beer four or six pack bands are crippling many animals after being discarded ,the difference is you can pin 99.9% of discarded line down to anglers

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

While the subject is a serious matter I do believe Elton picked out a story of someone commiting a serious offence.

I agree with Chesters1. Fishing line rubbish as an overall issue can be pinned on our community 99+%. It is one area we probably could be better stewards. Manufacturers have offered all sort of incentives but nothing as yet has caught on very well. In the spring I watch birds "dumpster diving" for a nice wad of fishing line for nesting. Unfortunately, they usually bite off more than they can chew.

I do take execption to Andy laying it off on my cheap kit. Most drunks, regardless of the quality of their kit are an obnoxious and annoying nuisances who usually leave their behaviour on the bank. Expensive kit is for arrogant fishermen not for fishing.

Equally, I cringe at the "experts" who insist they alone can catch 45 lb carp on 4 lb test line.

My favorite "fishing hole" has lost line, lead, and lure problems of every ilk. Without going into detail it is a magnet for 100 yd snippets of line. Every two years the Department of Natural Resources "mine" several tons off the bottom with a huge rotating broom looking gizzmo.

Phone