Lure angling, cheap, for small species

Newt

So you've always wanted to try this lure angling lark but 1) don't like pike very much 2) don't want to buy more rods/reels 3) don't want to spend a fortune for lures.

Here's a thought for you. Very low cost and very effective.

Put a controller float on your mainline. Weight so that you can cast easily. I won't show sources for them since the UK offers way more than the US ever thought of.

Small swivel to a light hooklength of 1-3 feet.

Jig /w skirt at the end of your hooklength.

Toss it out and retrieve with a series of short pulls. When you get a take, you will know it. And small jigs (1/64 to 1/8 oz) with skirts are cheap and appeal to a wide variety of species.

The following are from BassPro but there are lots of other US sources for the small jigs & skirts. Just look for crappie jigs since they are the main species we target with this method.

Full set - all included

crappie1.jpg

Or mix & match to suit yourself

crappie2.jpg

And these go on the jig. Just run the hook thru and seat the head of the skirt against the bottom of the jighead.

crappie3.jpg

crappie4.jpg

[ 22. May 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nearly 7000 posts on here over the years and I still get fooled sometimes.

I would have thought a way to lure fish that didn't cost very much at all (as low as 20¢ / £0.12 per lure) and would work with most any gear the angler owns would have generated some interest.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Look very interesting Newt, always after something new to try and the prices are fantastic. Any idea on what the shipping cost would be on the 2 boxed sets as it's difficult to get an idea of the size and weight by a picture?

:)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Newt:

Nearly 7000 posts on here over the years and I still get fooled sometimes.

I would have thought a way to lure fish that didn't cost very much at all (as low as 20¢ / £0.12 per lure) and would work with most any gear the angler owns would have generated some interest.

Steady On Newt! Remember we are British!!

we are catching up withyou guys on the lure fishing front but i guess most people think your joking suggesting you can actually catch fish on brightley coloured little bits or rubber and plastic :D

I like to use controller floats to trot dog biscuits down the river for Chub once the rivers open onJune 16th. guess i'll be trying some small jigs as well now, and maybe flys too.Thanks for that tip Newt.

Buyingfrom USA i think works our roughly $1=£1 time you pay shippng, import tax ( 1.5% ?)VAT 17.5% on the total goods and shipping cost that is!

I think if the total cost of goods and shipping is under around £18 you don't pay the above taxs,check with customs on the phone for correct limit.Also if you have a friend or relatation over there they can send it as a 'Gift' and the limit for tax is doubled to £36 +/-?

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Very interesting Newt, thanks, I am just getting into lure fishing and recently discovered that my father had a box of stuff sent over from Canada when my grandfather died, this contained a heap of these jelly squid type lures, worms, twin tails, frogs and suchlike, we laughed when we saw them thinking that no sane person would fish with them, but now I am thinking of trying some out.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Helped weigh a new PB largemouth bass for a lady before I left the lake today. 7lb 5oz which is huge for this area. Caught on a rubber worm.

And the jigs are dead serious lures. You may have to try various skirt colors on a given day but something should get them going.

And www.catfishconnection.com has a couple of nice ones. Not sure if they ship overseas but the bug one should be something you can make yourself - or get a fly tying friend to do it. Jig body and dress it up a little.

This one is 1/32 oz and on a #6 hook I think.

crappie-bug.jpg

And for waters that have crays, these are around 1 inch long so should look like juvie crays. Another item you can just hook on the tail of a small jig. The price is for a 50 pack and they have 4 or 5 colors to pick from.

crappie-cray.jpg

In the 14 years ive been angling ive come to the conclusion that Uk anglers are generally interested in PLUGS,SPINNERS and LIVEBAIT/DEADBAIT only.

Personally i cant see the point of these new jigs etc. Weve done fine on our own stuff. I dont see how a Jig can catch more than a plug or spinner!!!

monkeyboy:

I dont see how a Jig can catch more than a plug or spinner!!!

I've had many days when jigs have outfished conventional plugs and lures, especially on waters that get a lot of attention from lureanglers.

I figure it's just something different that the fish haven't seen too much of.

Dave

Harris Angling sell this kind of stuff. You can get their free catalogue at:

http://www.fishingbrochures.com/

Once you've requested the catalogue, take a look at http://www.harrisangling.co.uk and head for the rubber lures section, where you'll find four pages of all kinds of weird and wonderful baits :)

I've not tried it, but I know at least one person who's been successful with carp on rubber worms!

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

I've not tried it, but I know at least one person who's been successful with carp on rubber worms!

Yep, I've deliberately had carp on them at Wingham. I may well be trying them again this week as the water's stuffed full of tadpoles. And what does a black rubber worm look like.....?

One November a few years back Wingham hosted the England v South Africa lure match. We got slaughtered by the Springboks who used rubber worms. They gave us some to try out, and one of our lads hooked but unfortunately lost 2 big tench on them!

Pike and perch really love them, and I agree with Croix in that somedays they outfish "hard" baits such as plugs and spoons.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net