Ireland, sinking to a new low!!!!!!!!!!

ThePiker

Gill netting, as you can see from the photos, is a particularly nasty form of netting whereby the fish are trapped by the very thin net around their gills to prevent them from breathing and / or swimming off, so they die either of oxygen starvation or hunger.

[ 28. May 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive just looked and read the website now i may be mistaken but are they not campaigning against gill netting on fisheries etc.

If they are then a well done to them

Gill netting is the most cruel and shocking way of culling fish stocks

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

quote:

Click on the picture below to see evidence of the latest gill netting slaughter

Sorry but i think they are against gill netting. I think they like to keep track of the stocks though which isnt so bad considering that course fishing brings plenty of wonga to the area.

ThePiker:

If any of you are thinking of visiting Ireland for your annual fishing holiday,particularly The Shannon region,I would suggest that you check out the web site of The Irish Pike Society, www.irishpikesociety.com and see just exactly what the Shannon Fisheries Board think of the very fish that you are traveling over to try and catch.I think you will be surprised, and totally disgusted.   :mad:      :mad:      :mad:  

If you read the text that accompanies the picture, you will see that the organization is AGAINST the gill netting, and placed the pictures only as evidence that it is happening.

The IPS are campaigning AGAINST Pike culling by the Irish regional Fishing Boards, and their obsessive concentration on Salmon and Trout water protection. The gill netting is carried out each spring to reduce the numbers of predators to "protect" the game fish. It destroys large numbers of all species, and is totally indescriminate and cruel (as well as counter-productive).

Shame on them.

[ 29. May 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Wag ]

Where's the 'ANY' key?

I have seen the effects of gill netting in the Orwell and Deben in Suffolk.

Not very nice at all

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

Thanks Matt, but why?.....control stock levels, for food, just for the sake of being an evil b**tard?

Either because they cant be bothered or cant afford to use electro fishing or just are too uncaring to do so.

Any road, this is not the method to be using anywhere, and I am glad to see that is the consensus on this board.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Matt Hayes is actually off to Ireland soon to make a speech on the use of gill netting & how it shouldn't be allowed.

If the Irish authorities were to think about it carefully i believe they would stop the practice as most aglers i speak to are going over to Ireland for the piking & not the bream fishing, if all the pike were to be wiped out (hard to imagine i know but IF they were) the whole place would suffer through lack of angling income associated with the pikers.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Having just "happened" along this thread and not having read the editorial I only have this to say.

Having recently come back from a weeks stay in Ireland I would be very surprised to find that gill netting was being encouraged by anyone!!! Let alone the one body who are promoting the fishing in ALL it's forms in Ireland.

Moreso against the visiting anglers from Germany, Holland, France etc., etc. Who have in the past removed HUGE numbers of pike to satisfy the needs of there respective freezers only!! There is now a limit on taking pike in Ireland of one fish less than 3 Kg per man per day. And woe betide the guest house keeper who allows his or her guests to exceed this limit!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))