Worn Butt Ring

BlundstonedLove

Not really but it's dead easy to change them.

If you want the minimum work version:

Stick the tip in a cup of boiling water for 10 seconds and pull the ring off. Fix a new one on using a bit of hot melt glue - don't use Araldite or next time around you will have to cut the ring off.

For the butt ring, take a scalpel type knife and cut the whipping off by slicing on top of the ring foot on one side of the foot only. Once one side if free, grab the foot with forceps, give it a wiggle and slide it out. Tidy the removed whipping up a bit and then slide the foot of a new ring in where the old one was (no need to worry about lining up). To finnish the job, re-whip the cut side of the butt rig foot, coat it with a bit of epoxy and the jobs a good un. Of course, if you're really phobic about whipping, you could just slide a single leg guide in place and fix it in position with a spot of glue.

Single legs are what I carry for emergency repairs when I'm travelling. They're fine but not particularly robust.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

- don't use Araldite or next time around you will have to cut the ring off.

The heat from a match or ciggy lighter will remove Araldited tip rings - but be very careful with that type of heat near a carbon rod.

The heat from a match or ciggy lighter will remove Araldited tip rings - but be very careful with that type of heat near a carbon rod.

I remember doing that on a glass rod years ago. There was a loud pop, and the tip ring shot out of the shed door, and disappeared into the bushes, never to be seen again!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I remember doing that on a glass rod years ago. There was a loud pop, and the tip ring shot out of the shed door, and disappeared into the bushes, never to be seen again!

John.

done that one before removing a top eye from an old rod to make a repair on a newer one. :lol:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Blund,

snigger, shigger!

I am in no no no way mechanical. I usually cut the tip off carefully so as to not splinter the rod end (hand held metal saw). A new one will then slip on. You still have to use the heat up glue stuff everyone it talking about. As for the butt end I just jigger the chit out of it - first one way then the other and deal with the mess. Unless it is a 50 mm you'll find something that will work. Electrical tape comes to mind. (Mr. Harrison is gasping and sending rolly eyes)

Phone

Edit: Ohh, your 13' rod is now 12' 11'' and 3/4

Edited by Phone

Stop that sniggering at the back!

Cornflakes and milk on the monitor :rolleyes:

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

John.

Came off though, didn't it? :D

I hold them in forceps, mainly to get them moving as soon as the glue lets go which means I can get the heat off of the blank asap.