Invasive Species in the U.K.??

severus

Should give you folks less trouble then since the faster the boat is going (or maybe just the faster the prop is spinning) the more aggitated the things get.

Even so, a 40lb fish hitting you at 10mph would not be much fun.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adz:

quote:

Ken,

Inland waterways in the UK have mandatory speed limits tidal rivers are the highest speeds at 15mph - even if we did have Asian carp trouble, it would be 'how do you get the lead shot out before you eat it' sort rather than the 'mind that fish... what fish? SPLAT!' sort ;-D

Right. That would be a lot of fun, sitting up on a flybridge far above the fish with a loaded shotgun. And according to the Courier-Journal article Newt submitted, bighead carp are "quite tasty". I can't imagine having to hide behind a garbage can lid, lawn chair, or home-made carp guards to protect myself from those beasts. Bizarre fish.

There was a huge uproar here a few months ago when the Army Corp of Engineers proposed to shut off the electical barrier in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal due to budget constraints. Funding will continue, which is fortunate, because if these fish get into the Great Lakes they will wreck the $4.5 billion fishery. And that would p--- off the Indian netters here :D

Newt, thanks for posting the two articles. I had not seen those.

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

carp carp carp, :mad: i've had it with carp ipyc should be called improve your CARP fishing.gimme some thing on pike been around for 55 million years

surely that stands for something these days!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

smudger

- none of the fish being discussed in this thread (other than Peter's brief mention of monks) are Cyprinus carpio

- none of the "carp" will be caught using 'normal' baiting tactics

- I'm pretty sure none of the asian carp or silver carp are even found in UK waters.

But if this discussion bothers you, quit reading the thread. And if you are anxious to have a pike discussion, feel free to start one.

[ 03. May 2004, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I presume that the vibrations from the boats's props irritates these fish to such a degree that the only way they can escape is by jumping 10 feet into the air. Is it that other species are not irritated in the same way, or that they don't have the same ability to escape? Or is it a case of stimulation? Either way it would be a useful, and naturel way of controlling speed on our rivers!

Mandatory speed limit on UK rivers, not altogether true. Speedboat racing on Oulton Broad Thursday evening, speeds up to 140 m.p.h.!

Dear All,

Invasive species? Flabbergasted that no one has pasted in the list onto this site. Are you lot that ignorant about what is going off in your areas??

Barbel Police. This species is on the increase everywhere and is invasive on all river systems. Traditional species under threat are;

Boilees, bivies, electronic alarms,comfortable chairs, umbrellas, more than one rod,carp sacks and in severe cases, carbon rods and fixed spool reels. Benefits arising from this species? Sales of cowboy hats, plus fours and full length wax coats are on the increase.

Carp Mud Puddler. Totally responsible for the demise of UK fishing skills down to the point of its day-time activity resembling "hook-a-duck". On the increase in most areas and set to spread even further.

Pike Swim Hogger. Amazing creature that genuinely thinks its five anglers at the same time. Capable of having separate rods in multiple pitches at the same time. Knows no boundaries who's spread is only restricted to the amount of rods it can carry.

Toff Game Angler. An old species but one that is becoming invasive none the less. New strains are just that; NEW in the fact that all tackle and clothing is brand new straight off the counter of "Country Gun&Rod" Even so, this strain carries more fly patterns than one might find in the Amazonian jungle. Normally displayed upon brand new hats so all can see the species breeding colours. Species normally found at expensive game beats where they catch bugger all but drive nice cars.

Whiz-Plopers. On the increase in all locations where stupid fish live. Annoying little beggars that will cast furiously fast reel in noisily faster all around and in-between static anglers enjoying the peace and quiet normal fishing offers. Some Whiz-Plopers for some reason can be seen fishing without landing nets. These when questioned always say they don't need such things as they "chin" their captures??

Billy Big Bananas. Probably the most invasive species in the big fish angling world. They've been fishing for a particular species for five minutes, caught beggar all, but bang on and on as if they are seasoned big fish anglers knowing all but knowing now't. Found almost everywhere apart from in photographs holding big fish which is the trait that always gives them away!!

Cormorants. No current listing available as none can agree on a way forward.

New "Red Book" listings of threatened species;

EA Enforcement bailiff. This species whilst once being prolific and the bane of naughty anglers everywhere, is now in danger of extinction as their breeding numbers dwindle. However, help is at hand with a forthcoming captive breeding programme. This will take place at Calverton where fishery scientists are already working with two captive breeding pairs and things are looking good. Five already bred have begun to walk and speech is expected within days. Once fully grown they will be released along rivers and in and around still water environments.

EelAngler. Species at serious risk of becoming extinct. Reasons appear to be falling numbers of eels world wide and the plain fact that very few anglers actually want to fish for the beggars!!

Wooden Rod Angler. Traditional anglers now being pushed out in all areas by the invasive carbon angler. Small colonies still exist however in remote hill areas where petrol,oil,electricity or running water has yet to reach.

Silk Line Angler. Now fully extinct.

Regards,

Lee.

Awk - hadn't realized the situation was quite that bad Lee.

I am surprised no one has mentioned rainbow trout, though this is a freshwater species imported from North America for sports anglers. Recently it was established that these genetically altered supposedly sterile fish were breeding in Scottish Lochs (jings reminds one of Jurassic Park), thus becoming a bigger threat to the native brownies - some trout fishers whom I meet occasionally had all the details, this is a tiny brained rockling's recollection of the conversation. Their gloomy prognosis was that the brownies would eventually become extinct on all major Scottish waters.

Lee, catching a fairground 'Hook a Duck' requires that the holder of the rod & hook is atleast awake.

Please also note that such rods tend to be bamboo, as approved by the barbel police, rather than hi-tech carbon as approved by young tear-aways

Dear Peter,

I'm a carbon fan myself and a definite tearaway. Although I must confess that my membership within the Lincs branch of the Hells Angels might have to be given up. Proceeding years are taking their toll and the BSA Road Rocket, side car, leather helmet and goggles is getting too much. And its becoming embarrassing asking passers by to kick start the BSA for me.

Bamboo?? Woods wood mate. Grows out the ground and has leaves on. I can't get google eyed and romantic about a lump of varnished wood unless it comes in the shape of a nice piece of funiture or an ocean going boat. Anyway, poor old Panda's need all the Bamboo they can get and our nations gardeners still need bamboo to support and grow their plants up.

Carbon's like a shapely woman all firm and smooth if one manages to catch a young un. Doesn't loose its shape or firmness with age, unlike my missus that has and no amount of varnish is going to alter that!!

Dear Newt,

The situation is actually far worse. Its just that this is a family show and I'll have to wait until the water shed time arrives before I can tell it as it really is!!

Regards,

Lee.