Invasive Species in the U.K.??

severus

Just out of curiosity, are invasive fish or marine species a problem in the U.K.?

I live in the Great Lakes region in the U.S. Since the St. Lawrence Seaway opened, many invasive species were inadvertently introduced, such as lamprey, zebra mussels, gobies, and alewives. Some came via ships ballast, others just swam in, still more were introduced by well-meaning pet owners who could not properly dispose of their fish. Asian carp species are our latest visitors, huge fish that have a nasty habit of jumping out of the water when boats pass by at high speed, scared by prop wash. Boaters have been seriously injured and/or killed by these leaping fish. Check out the "Flying" Asian Carp in the Mississippi River video clip at the Great Lakes Fisheries Management website to see how this is possible.

Any horror stories such as this in Britain? If so, how do you deal with them?

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only real pest we have here is the notorious signal crayfish which hails from ur country.People farmed them over here and illigally put them into lakes and rivers and they are now killing our native cray fish and gutting fish stocks.

Blooming heck kamikaze carp .We dont have that problem here ,but I bet there are thousands of carpers wish we had .If we did I would go into the body armour selling business :):) ...rob

[ 01. May 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: rob.i ]

when you think you know everything think again....

quote:

Originally posted by thornabyangler:

the only real pest we have here is the notorious signal crayfish which hails from ur country.People farmed them over here and illigally put them into lakes and rivers and they are now killing our native cray fish and gutting fish stocks.

Some peeps, but not me I hasten to add, would ad ZANDER to that!

DG

According to an ancient rhyme, hops and beer were introduced to Britain, also by monks apparently, in the same year. So, weighing things up, I reckon they did more good than harm.

Sorry, my imagination is still reeling from the idea of low-flying carp endangering speedboat owners. What a surreal image.

Lovely. Thanks for that.

Fenboy

Not so low flying. 10-12 foot jumps aren't uncommon. Article with a picture.

Also a great article Here about the various 'new' carp species that are causing problems.

Here is a great pic of a silver carp in mid-leap from the above article.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

severus:

Asian carp species are our latest visitors, huge fish that have a nasty habit of jumping out of the water when boats pass by at high speed, scared by prop wash. Boaters have been seriously injured and/or killed by these leaping fish. If so, how do you deal with them?

Ken,

Inland waterways in the UK have mandatory speed limits tidal rivers are the highest speeds at 15mph - even if we did have Asian carp trouble, it would be 'how do you get the lead shot out before you eat it' sort rather than the 'mind that fish... what fish? SPLAT!' sort ;-D

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!