Where did the water go?

Leon Roskilly

What about the term "denier" with all it connotations thrown at sceptical person's,do you expect people to suit back and take it lying down.Ever seen the 10.10 video...bit more than a ad hominen wouldn't you say.
If the hat fits wear it! I am skeptical of your skepticism. I expect you to get educated and not just stick your fingers in your ears and say "BLAH, BALAH, BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU" just because you don't like the message. I think the ads are stupid, although I can think of a few creationists (evolution deniers) that I wish I could do that to. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corydoras,

We seem to acquire and loose mass to space and from space at approximately the same rate. The more things change, the more they are the same.

I do know after reading along on this thread the obvious has been missed. You guys should have concentrated on the "Australian Carp" thread.

"The ocean begins exactly at waters edge." Scientifically speaking - You can quote me.

Phone

Over long periods of time the earth gains more mass than it looses.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

cory,

I wish I'd never commented on this one. I believe you to be just slightly argumentative. I like that.

But since I did, I strongly refute your last statement. Especially in view if the fact it is now a commonly accepted theory the moon is, or once was earth mass. If you believe that is true, as I do - where do you stand?

Even still, I just read as the earth cools and becomes more spherical losses in mass are exceeding gains, especially gases. My last statement, or, for that matter, anything I say in this thread is BS.

Phone

cory,

I wish I'd never commented on this one. I believe you to be just slightly argumentative. I like that.

But since I did, I strongly refute your last statement. Especially in view if the fact it is now a commonly accepted theory the moon is, or once was earth mass. If you believe that is true, as I do - where do you stand?

Even still, I just read as the earth cools and becomes more spherical losses in mass are exceeding gains, especially gases. My last statement, or, for that matter, anything I say in this thread is BS.

Phone

So let's just take these one at a time.

The Moon IS the same mass as the Earth, is a commonly accepted theory. That's news to me.

The Moon once was the same mass as the earth. That's news to me too.

Why would the earth become 'more spherical' if it were cooler? Where did you read this?

The earth gains more mass at the rate of about 100 tons a day from meteorites, space dust and sub atomic particles from the solar wind. This exceed the amount of mass it loses in gases from the atmosphere.

Maybe Phone is confusing the theory that the Moon once twatted the Earth? In theory then, the Earth and Moon were a conjoined mass, if only temporarily...?

The only way the Earth could become more spherical would be if its rotation slowed, thus reducing the centrifugal effect on the equatorial bulge. Cooling makes no difference as far as I can see.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

if the earth was cold surely it would be smaller ,wouldn't it contract as the magma and molten core cooled ? besides the living things on it would die and break down into dead things residue as the planet became to cold for animal life being eaten by things more hardy until they perished ,you cant destroy matter but it does change ,plus ofcourse all those with enough money would bugger off leaving the dying planet to the poor who have little "stuff" of any weight anyway

what do 6 billion people weigh and the mass of animals etc .would the atmosphere disappear ,the seas freeze and fall off as their non moving bulk got upset by that pesky interfering moon?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Maybe Phone is confusing the theory that the Moon once twatted the Earth? In theory then, the Earth and Moon were a conjoined mass, if only temporarily...?

The only way the Earth could become more spherical would be if its rotation slowed, thus reducing the centrifugal effect on the equatorial bulge. Cooling makes no difference as far as I can see.

Renrag

The most commonly accepted idea on the formation of the moon is the Giant Impactor Theory.

I concur with your thoughts that the only way the earth could become more sperical would be if it's rotation on its axis were to slow down. (Conservation of Angular Momentum, schoolboy physics). The earth's rotational period IS slowing down though, days ARE becoming slightly longer as time goes by.

This is caused by a transfer of Earth's rotational momentum to the Moon's orbital momentum as tidal friction slows the Earth's rotation. That increase in the Moon's orbital velocity is causing it to slowly recede from Earth. The moon is currently receding from the earth at about 4cm a year. We know this because the Americans and the Russians left reflectors on the Moon. We can shine a laser beam at those reflectors and detect the photons reflected back to earth and calculate the distance from the earth to the moon.

One day the Earth will become tidally locked with the Sun, the same way that the Moon is tidally locked with the Earth today. Then the Earth's rotation about it's axis will almost cease. We don't need to worry about this as by that time the Sun will have become a Red Giant. Mercury and Venus will have been burnt to cinders and will have been gobbled up by the swollen Sun, the Moon if there is anything left of it will have left the Earth's orbit and will be orbiting the Sun and the incinerated corpse of the Earth will be just about inside the of the Sun's atmosphere, if it hasn't gone the same way as Mercury and Venus. We don't need to worry about this because this will not happen for some 4 or 5 billion years.

Would be one hell of a sunrise (barring the tidal lock of course).

One thing that has always fascinated me is that the moon was once so much closer and that the Earth experienced 1000ft tides... boggles my mind!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Beyond me. Listen to Renrag.

There's a 50:50 chance that Chesters will... :P

Also, sorry to reference the 'Giant Impactor Theory' as 'the Moon twatted the Earth'. Unfortunately, unlike you Cory, my memory isn't the best. I remember the details of theories but I often forget their names.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39