Weekly who's doing what thread

Rusty

Work. Started @ 6am. 12hr shift. Watch MotoGP Qualifying. Sleep.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be continuing my quest to find a stretch of the Calder that isn't infested with dog walkers and feral children. I thought I'd found the ideal place yesterday when I fished the Lillands Farm stretch at Brighouse (private land, access for anglers and residents only), but I got accosted by a bunch of kids just as I was starting to pack up. Nothing is sacred anymore.

hey rusty i see your from wantage and was wondering where you fish? tom

Hello Tom

I fish the Kennet in the Newbury/Thatcham area via NAA & TAA books. Occasionally I fish their club lakes but there’s so much of the river to explore I find it hard to drag myself away from the running water. Almost always trotting with a ‘pin and with varying degrees of success (i.e. lower quartile :D )

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I've just spent 3 weeks in Glasgow for work. Have been craving a fishing session the whole time so went out in the rain this afternoon back in Cornwall. Fished a pleasure lake for a bit of sport and had a great time. The first fish I hooked was a roach around the pound mark and the biggest fish of the session was a 9lb 2oz carp. Wont get to fish again for at least a fortnight so was nice to have some fast paced action to 'quench the thirst' as they say.

Started coarse fishing February last year, species so far:

Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch, Carp, Gudgeon, Eel, Crucian and a Goldfish.

It was a fun day yesterday, conditions were pretty good, the company very good, and we had a few fish between us - 6 zander and a couple of pike. The experiments with the standard vs 'enhanced' lures was a little inconclusive, the enhanced ones did pick up most fish but following the toss to decide who fished with what, it was Alex who used them, and he always catches more than me anyway! But for a first little go it's good to know that at the very least, they don't put fish off. A better follow-up experiment will be to see what happens in more coloured water.

Anyway, it was good to get away from my crazy work situation for a bit and spend some time on the river.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It was a fun day yesterday, conditions were pretty good, the company very good, and we had a few fish between us - 6 zander and a couple of pike. The experiments with the standard vs 'enhanced' lures was a little inconclusive, the enhanced ones did pick up most fish but following the toss to decide who fished with what, it was Alex who used them, and he always catches more than me anyway! But for a first little go it's good to know that at the very least, they don't put fish off. A better follow-up experiment will be to see what happens in more coloured water.

Anyway, it was good to get away from my crazy work situation for a bit and spend some time on the river.

Anderoo well done on the zeds ...where you jigging for them?? I ask as i spent best part of a day dropshotting a Thames zander bit the other day without a touch ....bloody mentally tireing this drop shot thing when you arein the wrong place :rolleyes: ,Realise jigging is prob a better method for them but set a short tail on the drop wait and did hope for a hit .

Caught half a dozen small pike a couple of hundred mtrs downstream from the pool that evening whuich made up for it it in small measure .

Back home now after getting soaked coming back up the Kennet to our mooring so going to the Pub for beer and food face Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Anderoo well done on the zeds ...where you jigging for them?? I ask as i spent best part of a day dropshotting a Thames zander bit the other day without a touch ....bloody mentally tireing this drop shot thing when you arein the wrong place :rolleyes: ,Realise jigging is prob a better method for them but set a short tail on the drop wait and did hope for a hit .

Caught half a dozen small pike a couple of hundred mtrs downstream from the pool that evening whuich made up for it it in small measure .

Back home now after getting soaked coming back up the Kennet to our mooring so going to the Pub for beer and food face Steve.

Yes Steve, vertical jigging from a boat. You're right, that and drop-shotting is exhausting, both physically and mentally, especially when it's slow! At least old esox was about!

They were very finicky yesterday, quite a few little gentle raps were missed. We thought they were perch (some probably were) but we did hit a few which turned out to be very lightly hooked zander. Even the pike gave very subtle little bites.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes Steve, vertical jigging from a boat. You're right, that and drop-shotting is exhausting, both physically and mentally, especially when it's slow! At least old esox was about!

They were very finicky yesterday, quite a few little gentle raps were missed. We thought they were perch (some probably were) but we did hit a few which turned out to be very lightly hooked zander. Even the pike gave very subtle little bites.

Did think i had a couple of small raps but after being sat in the sun for so long that day it was probubly delerium setting in ,Thinking of a stinger hook but think it may screw up the action of lure...same thing with the pike fly spent all week watching big Perch follow and nip at the tail of the Pike fly without hooking a thing...even more screw up the action face though i fear ...does rekindle your casting/interest though Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: