Women Drivers..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have often wondered (and totally disbelieved Newts reason years ago the last time i wondered) why carriage or carts drivers in westerns sit on the correct side but in cars sit on the wrong side.

another things is gears ,most cars i believe in America are automatics? but in film chases there's always another gear to change into whatever speed the car is supposed to be doing!

most of my grievances around here isn't particularly with women as such but old over cautious drivers who brake on corners ,at the sight of another oncoming driver no matter how far away they are and brake lights continually on going down hills!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You mean bad drivers ?

Trouble is that once you've decided thay women are bad drivers, every bit of bad driving you see from a woman reinforces your view and you tend to dismiss bad driving by men withouth concious thought.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

chesters1,

What was Newt's reasoning? I don't want to step on another Yank's toes. You know, one of us will lie and the second will swear to it.

Phone

Edit: I will say with automobiles we had it both ways for awhile. Then, with the steering wheel replacing the tiller technology required it be on one side or the other. By 1915, the Model T had become so popular that the rest of the automakers followed Ford's lead. (source Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Admin.) I hate factual facts. There is a much better reason of course. See chapter two after I am sure I'm not disputing Newt.

Phone

Edited by Phone

chesters1,

What was Newt's reasoning? I don't want to step on another Yank's toes. You know, one of us will lie and the second will swear to it.

Phone

You aint a Politician by any chance? Never met a Yank with such a sense of humour.

Bet if you bottle it u'd make a mint. :D

All,

Never tried - but can you imagine the havoc I could cause driving in England? I am totally conditioned to driving on the "correct" side of the road with the steering wheel being on the "correct" side. I've never even tried for fear of "reacting" incorrectly in a situation. I just KNOW I would.

I even stepped off the curb out in front of a taxi in London because I "looked the wrong way" as a pedestrian.

I'd guess you better never trust a Yank to even a greater degree than women whilst driving. Problem is, how do you spot us coming?

Phone

I often sit and laugh abut an old boy i used to work with when i was apprenticed.

We were driving along the road in the good old Bedford van, he was cos i was just a nipper, and then he let a stream of obscenities out.

&^*(ING look at this *&%^ing nutter, he's reading the %^&*ing paper. It was a left hand drive big Yank car.

I must admit i got the shock of my life and dove in the back of the van. LoL

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

chesters1,

Phone

Edit: I will say with automobiles we had it both ways for awhile. Then, with the steering wheel replacing the tiller technology required it be on one side or the other. By 1915, the Model T had become so popular that the rest of the automakers followed Ford's lead. (source Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Admin.) I hate factual facts. There is a much better reason of course. See chapter two after I am sure I'm not disputing Newt.

Phone

his excuse was pretty much the same as yours ,pretty strange for the "land of the free" to have some industrialist force you to sit on the opposite side of a car than a cart or carriage ,had you stuck with the former your country would be far nicer i'm sure of it we drive on the right hand side of a car and avoid most hurricanes :lol:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Several times I have had near misses while filtering on my Motorbike. Note to ALL car drivers, Indicate when changing lanes, USE those sticky out bits on the side of your car, yes, thats right, they're called mirrors. If you don't do so, I may clip your mirror. Its as simple as that, if you suddenly move without indication or observation, no matter how careful I am myself, I may be unable to slow or stop fast enough, unfortunately my helmet restricts my mind reading capabilities!

I think riding a moped/bike for 6 months before taking your car test should be mandatory. It would give you a sense of perspective.

You people who have never done so just cannot imagine how dangerous it can be on the road for us. I know it is OUR choice, but it doesn't mean we should have to live in fear of your lack of concentration and idiocy.

(Before someone says it, I know there are many idiot bikers too! Thankfully, many meet a Darwinian end when encountering a fellow idiot in a meat box)

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Chesters1,

Ok, now the real story.

It has to do with most being people being “right handed”. Early on, say 1700, we began using large wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The “driver” sat on the left rear horse so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since the driver was sitting on the left, naturally he wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure each other kept clear of the others wheels.

Right side of the road.

In England, a small beautiful island, it never became necessary to use large wagons pulled by multiple teams of horses. The “driver” didn’t have to sit on a horse, he had a seat mounted on the wagon. What’s more he usually sat on the right side of the seat so the whip in his right hand wouldn’t hang up in his load behind him.

For the same reason England continued to drive on the left side of the road and we began a custom of using the right side. Because of "right handedness".

I heard this fishing one time. Bankside banter but it HAS to be true because it was told to me by a reliable fisherman.

Phone

Fisherpersons are known to spin a yarn also. LoL

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”