Injury whilst fishing

stooby

Not strictly an injury, but I'd say it counts.

I had a phone call whilst fishing.

You see that morning I'd recieved a letter in the post informing me of a nice tax rebate of just over 1200quid, I'd neglected to read it thoroughly and gone off thinking "Happy days".

Back to the phone call...3pm.

Turns out the cash had been put into my ex's account, our old joint account. She just rang to tell me she'd spent the lot! Ouch!

There's more to fishing than catching fish

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 6 years ago I was Carp fishing with a friend who liked using heavy leads with grip spikes.

He snagged up one day and pulling hard on the lead it fired out of the water and hit me straight between my legs.

It was high summer and I was wearing shorts...guess the rest.

Ended up in hospital with a testicle the size of a tennis ball.

When I was 7/8 I caught a chub trolling on the Thames with my dad. When it was in the boat my dad gripped the fish and while trying to pull the hooks out the fish slipped and one of the hooks on the trebles went into his thumb. This was in the days when barbed hooks were used and being this age I still demanded he took a picture as it was my PB at the time of 5lb5oz. So with a hook in one hand and camera in the other he took the picture, motored to a nearby restaurant and with the other 2 hooks corked, pulled it out with pliers. The reward for all this was a little piece of meat from his hand on the end of the treble!

More recently, after a night carping I was shaving in the morning and being knackered from the night before, cut myself 5/6 gills on my jawline under my ear. Didn't stop bleeding for a good half hour!

I went Tench fishing when I was younger and had forgotten my tin opener, of course I attempted to cut the tin open with an old blunt pen knife and ended up slipping and slicing the top of my thumb open on the razor sharp lid, 17 stitches and LOTS of blood later I had learned a valuable lesson! <_<

my worst was getting impaled on a Sawai Catfish. I was doing the grip and grin when the fish started to struggle and so I cradled it "Danny Fairbrass Carp Style" it started to kick and so I tightened my grip a little and felt a pain in my forearm. The spike in the pectoral fin had gone into my forearm and almost out the other side. Peeling a live fish of your arm is an interesting experience especially when the spike is hooked.

Still have the scar, will prove useful should I run in to Hooper and Quint at a dinner party and they start

comparing injuries and scars.

Sawai Catfish, Phuket :D

I've been bitten a few times by Barracuda and Snappers but not in the pain category as the Catfish Fin.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

All,

Dales, story reminds me. I usually associate injury with accident.

The backs of my hands are still mostly scars. Self inflicted so to speak. "Noodling" or "hand fishing" for catfish is intentional punishment. When you put your hand in the mouth of a fish with teeth you can't expect to have any hide left on the backs of your hands if your fishing trip is successful. Whilst it never happened to me, there are a million stories of other creatures being in the catfish nest as the top of the hole often has air available. You know, like a beaver or snake. I remember 3 fingered Jake always swore that's what happened to him.

Does that count or is it just a case of the stupids?

Phone

Does that count or is it just a case of the stupids?

Phone

Self inflicted but in my book it still counts.

That reminds me that some one told me on holiday about a planed trip to noodle for Wallago Catfish at the time I just thought odd way to catch a fish. I did not find out until a few years later when I saw one in the flesh that there mouth is full of row upon row off long sharp teeth. Wonder if he ever caught one as noodling for cats all over the world was his thing.

Noodling is stupid but it does have a certain attraction and I can almost see the appeal. But not sure I would fancy loosing a finger to a snapping turtle hiding in some bolt hole.

Give me rod and reel any time, I know it's going off topic but what was your biggest noodle?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales,

Blue cat, probably 15 - 20 lbs. Twas before weighting became important. The issue was, is it big enough for supper?

Our Blue catfish and Channel catfish have several rows of small teeth that actually feel like sandpaper. Not sharp teeth at all. The key is to learn not to jerk your hand out when you feel one.

Phone

Once, along the "injury" line of thinking I almost drown noodling. My cousin and I were fishing a deep hole. We decided he could stand on my shoulders whilst I held my breath. He wouldn't let me come up when I needed to because he "almost had a nice one".