Perch season

Anderoo

Maybe for you southern softies the perch will keep pulling your strings deep into the colder months ;) . It won't be much longer before the perch do a disappearing act round these 'ere parts. At the moment you can still target them and I had some pretty decent one's a week or so back.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Please stop trying to be offended by everything.

I'm not 'offended' by anything posted in these pages. Weary at reading unhelpful stuff perhaps, but that does not constitute the taking of offense.

What else (you said "by everything") have you decided I'm offended by?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Maybe for you southern softies the perch will keep pulling your strings deep into the colder months ;) . It won't be much longer before the perch do a disappearing act round these 'ere parts. At the moment you can still target them and I had some pretty decent one's a week or so back.

Tut tut Ian jealousy is a funny thing ,We know you Northern folk will be out pagan ceremonies and sacrifices to the Angling gods under the cover of darkness in the hope of an elusive winter Perch....it`s obvious really all your Perch simply migrate to the sunnier climes down sarff so we can catch them :rolleyes::lol: .

Back on original post any big ones in your recent Perch haul ?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

.it`s obvious really all your Perch simply migrate to the sunnier climes down sarff so we can catch them :rolleyes::lol: .

Steve.

I don't blame em Steve, i'd like to move to sunnier climes when the cold weather takes it's grip :)

Errr, yes Steve I do envy you those lovely clear chalk streams 'n rivers...you jammy buggers ;)

I said it in repsonse to the similar stuff written about piking, and I have to say it about stripeys too, it is misleading and quite wrong to wax on about autumn heralding a bumper perch fishin' time. While it may do in some places it certainly doesnt everywhere. They have already become markedly conspitious by their absence since the weather took a downturn a couple of weeks ago. They have vacated the bays and past experience of many cold blank days revealed that bait fishing (and spinning) for them at all depths down to 100ft has proven useless. I love perch fishin' and have been daft enough in years past to continue after them into autumn and winter, I would save nbewcomers that pain. I wholeheartedy belive those who say that it get better in the autumn..but only in their part of the world. there is no (universal) 'perch season'...If i were to place a season for them I would say it was may, june and july. (I surpassed my best this june and broke well past the 4lb barrier) Based simply upon it is during those months that I catch far more than at any other time, regardless how much and how many methods and locations I fish at other times. I may see the very odd stripey between now and mid oct, but probably wont see another until spring.

Sounds like you've had a great "perch season" Emma. Nice one. :thumbs:

And thanks for posting and informing us of the world of fishing outside the south of England. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Sounds like you've had a great "perch season" Emma. Nice one. :thumbs:

I did, thanks. It's been one of those times when it has really been good. I'm not the only one either we had reports. some of 'em from reliable sources, of some really special stripeys being taken.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I don't blame em Steve, i'd like to move to sunnier climes when the cold weather takes it's grip :)

Errr, yes Steve I do envy you those lovely clear chalk streams 'n rivers...you jammy buggers ;)

Fishing with Rusty tommoz so will speak to him regarding you guys coming down ,Woukld you prefer early season or winter??

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

There's clearly a bit of a north/south divide when it comes to perch!

Emma, apologies, I didn't mean anything else by 'Please stop trying to be offended by everything'. I was just a bit annoyed that the topic had gone off in a different direction to what I had hoped.

I am interested in this idea that the perch switch off up north from about now though. I have caught good perch in extremely cold weather here, and a friend won't even bother fishing his favourite spots on the Thames for big perch until it's properly cold, with ice in the margins. So why is it that they can't be caught further north in those conditions? Surely water only ever gets so cold?

Same with the pike surely - even further north they catch them out of holes in the ice?

Youtube Video ->

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Fishing with Rusty tommoz so will speak to him regarding you guys coming down ,Woukld you prefer early season or winter??

Mid or early summer would be best Steve :D

Forgot to say Steve, the biggest perch where 3lb but quite a few of 1lb to 2lb. I wasn't targetting them on the most occassions. The spot where I like to catch them seems to be a spot where several species or more hang about and so really it's impossible to target them unless using live baiters.

Edited by Tigger

I think that to attribute the poor perch (and pike) fishing in our glacial lakes as down to simple temprature is too simplistic, I feel that there is more to it that that, and that it may be due to other variables found in our type of water. The perch and pike have been there prehistotically, I would imagine that such waters have evolved their own set of 'rules' (eco-systems) over the centuries. Autumn and Winter may include variables other than simple temperature changes. Our winters are not especially cold when compared to other parts of England. I have lived east of the pennines, North Yorkshire and Essex without the benefit of the warm westerlies we have here, ground temperatures are on average colder. I would imagine that the Broads suffer harsher winters than we do.

I lived in Berlin for 3 winters and fished through holes in the ice on the Havel (a large lake system wich runs through the city) and have pulled (amongst other species) perch and pike up through drilled holes.

I became so enthusiastic to fish even as a child that I stuck it out fishing deep into winter up here year after year and not catchin anything at all. In recent years I did the same, armed with half a century of experience (including severe weather fishin'), lots of good modern tackle a boat with a good quality echo sounder/fish finder and still the result has been the same...one catches nothing, even if the odd perch (or pike) did turn up, it would hardly be a good return on the amount of effort put in over the years.

I have even surrendered my ego to the extent that I would be willing to accept that I am simply rubbish at fishing and would very much welcome someone telling me just how to fish these waters in winter, I have asked and guess what? no one can tell me, the nearest I have got is vauge comment slike 'oh yes I like to have a go in winter, well 'having a go isn't the same thing as catching. The winter before last I fished 14 blanks on the belt end. last winter was a partial write off as I suffered a stroke in early January, I was looking to see if a smaller water had de-frosted enough to fish what it started. That water gave up a jack pike in mid november, a significant catch and so I was hopeful for the rest of the cold time.

The 'rubbish at fishin' explanation would be easy to accept if I caught nothing at all consistantly, however I do, I have clocked up all the 'main' species of coarse fish, although some of 'em were by accident, like tench, (my first carp came that way too) taken when fishin' for livebait, and chub, taken while fly fishing at night for sea trout. I have caught zander (on fly) and Wels in Germany. My PB pike is 22 lbs, perch 4lbs 4oz...both came in th month of June.. and on a red letterday in june 2010 I took 17 perch all over 1 1/2 lbs and 9 of 'em over 2lb. That last isn't a bragging opportunity for me, i propote the notion of counting ones fishin' in units of fun rather than Lbs and Oz or even Kg /gm.

A couple of winters ago I was up at the lake collecting holly for yule, I spoke with two lads who were goi8ng to have a go with lures for pike, I wished tham luck and suggested that they shouldn't be put off if they blanked and to try in spring/summer too. they told mre that they were novices who looked online and 'read somewhere online' that winter was the time to go piking.

On the same day I saw a fellow and his young son having a go for perch (busy day on our lake this) the man frely admitted that he hadn't fished before but was taking his son who had read in a book that autumn/winter was 'perch season'...I didn't do the clever dick thing and tell then they were unlikley to catch, and honestly hoped that they would, I felt sorry for the by then frozen stiff young lad. This is why I bristle when someone glibly says 'autumn/winter...fantastic time for preditors'.

Edited by Emma two