Perch season

Anderoo

Emma,

I'm being lighthearted. I have no IDEA what this thread is about. Any post that begins "I Think" is probably art anyway.

I would just like to say ice fishing does have a "season" - - - - don't you think?

Phone

Edit: corrected spelling

Edited by Phone

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma,

I would just like to say ice fishing does have a "season" - - - - don't you think?

Not really, 'season' (to me ) in fieldsports parlance refers to the dates from and to when it is legal to pursue a specific species. Coarse fishing in England and Wales is open all year round in stillwaters, with a 'close season' on rivers from a given date in March to a given date in June (there are some regional variations like Yorkshire rivesr opened backup on the 1st June elswhere they waited until the 16th). The thickness of ice isn't a factor in determining the season.

I accept that season is used as a gilb vauge term in many walks of life, for example 'seasons greetings' (Yule) and 'conker season' (usually used, but not exclusively by school children). The word has been used in these threads to describe a time when some anglers consider it a good time to fish for them, and we have established that will vary regionally. I challenged the autumn thing as it refelects how things are in the south east England (perhaps the whole of the southerrn part of the UK) which is so often considered the benchmark against which everything else is measured and is sometimes demeaned as 'other/odd/wrong' when it is really only 'different'.

The originator of this thread expressed disappointment at the way it has gone, however perhaps we have all learned something from it or at least have had a bit of deeper thought/reflection stimulated?

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

... the south east England (perhaps the whole of the southerrn part of the UK) which is so often considered the benchmark against which everything else is measured

Yes, and the reason is it is a bloody good benchmark, unless you are measuring crap weather, coldness, or grimness.

:P :P :P

Rich

The originator of this thread expressed disappointment at the way it has gone, however perhaps we have all learned something from it or at least have had a bit of deeper thought/reflection stimulated?

Yes, thanks for your previous post Emma, that explains a lot. I can see where you're coming from now.

The river has got the slightest pull today...hopefully soon it will actually start flowing properly, and things will start happening. I'm afraid we are still a few weeks away from 'perch season' here, let's hope it hurries up.

Part of the reason I think of autumn being 'perch season' is that the cooler weather starts to slow down the stacks of tiddlers, meaning you have a better chance of better fish. Does that apply to the glacial lakes?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, thanks for your previous post Emma, that explains a lot. I can see where you're coming from now.

The river has got the slightest pull today...hopefully soon it will actually start flowing properly, and things will start happening. I'm afraid we are still a few weeks away from 'perch season' here, let's hope it hurries up.

Part of the reason I think of autumn being 'perch season' is that the cooler weather starts to slow down the stacks of tiddlers, meaning you have a better chance of better fish. Does that apply to the glacial lakes?

Anderoo whilst having a cast around i got blown upstream against minimal flow by the mildest of breezes today so agree nothing like normal autumn flow yet ,gazillions of Bleak topping by the slipwway still........Perch fodder :) .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

My perching went wrong today...six barbel and a chub ;):lol:

Must be the start of the barbel and chub seasons :whistling:

[Emma, we posted simultaniously :D ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

My perching went wrong today

Perhaps it's the wrong "season" for them? :D

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Yeah :lol:

I know it must be pretty much last Knockings but surely you can still catch stripeys in the Cumbrian lakes yet ?

yes, I expect they could still be caught if fished for specifically. I remember doing well on them in September 1971 (honestly).

I only took the boat out twice this week, another factor with this autumn business it the weather means it isn't good to take to the water. Both times the target species were pike, trolled large spoons and shallow and surface lures in the bays hoping for the pike to still be lively enough for them. I did try stripey sized lures in a couple of spots where in summer (perch 'season' ;) ) one could have been sure of catching even some modest fish. Two sessions are not enough to make a causal statement, someone who tries hard might be catchin still.