How big is to big for perch?

lozza

Ive been doing a bit of perch fishing recently with good resualts however I am sure there are bigger fish around. ive mainly been useing live baits around 3oz and catching fish up to 3lb. But in the last couple of sessions ive had perch of around a pound takan on the way in by bigger pearch how big would a perch be,to eat another 1lb perch. And with out useing another perch for bait what would you use? Has this happaned to any of you guys? Cheers

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been doing a bit of perch fishing recently with good resualts however I am sure there are bigger fish around. ive mainly been useing live baits around 3oz and catching fish up to 3lb. But in the last couple of sessions ive had perch of around a pound takan on the way in by bigger pearch how big would a perch be,to eat another 1lb perch. And with out useing another perch for bait what would you use? Has this happaned to any of you guys? Cheers

increase the size of you live/dead bait or use a spinner or spoon to lure out the bigger ones , i hav emade up a ground bait mix of blended up worms with maggots and casters and soil , makes a good slop and then makes any perch in the area go mental for any bait they can get , so if you was to use worm you may get a bigger perch or not give it a go , i also add a small amount of ground bait to attract smaller silver fish into the swim bringing in more perch i have found , but not had a bigger perch take a smaller on , not yet any way

Edit may not be perch could be pike ?...

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

What !!!......I don't think there's a perch swimming capable of swallowing another perch of 1 lb.

What !!!......I don't think there's a perch swimming capable of swallowing another perch of 1 lb.

That's what I would have thought too, perhaps someone will provide eveidence that they can?

Perhaps it's not big perch who are taking the'pounders' on the way in?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

That's what I would have thought too, perhaps someone will provide eveidence that they can?

Perhaps it's not big perch who are taking the'pounders' on the way in?

Maybe someone has secretly introduced a few hundred Nile Perch...Now if they could just survive the winter...Hmmm

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Well, one would have thought so............but.....a couple of years ago I was fishing a water where I know you have fished.... hooked a perch on lobworm, was reeling it in. Then....wham ! ...and for a few seconds there was a very respectable bend in the rod.......then....Gone! ;) I then wound in this very frightened-looking perch

1. Now, I didn't weigh this perch so you will have to judge its size by the (large) pair of forceps. I think it is less than a pound, but not by much.

2, There are pike in the water, but that wound doesn't look as if it was made by a pike - it is typical of the "skinning" effect produced on fish baits by perch

3. ... and whatever it was didn't actually swallow the bait, merely tried to swallow it. If it had swallowed it maybe I would be able to show a far more dramatic picture.

Now you know as much as I do and must make up your own minds. All I can say is that I now fish this water primarily in the hope of a huge perch. I have had perch (elsewhere) to 4 lb, and more than once have had a perch in excess of 2 lb followed in by far bigger fish - I just wish I had had a glance at whatever inflicted this damage.

savagedwingham.jpg

Later. Have just measured the forceps. When shut as in the photo, 2.9" across the handles - so that makes the perch just over 12"

My weight against length charts for perch show that a perch in average condition (which this is) of 13" should weigh about a pound - so as I said above, less than a pound, but not by much.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Perhaps perch will attack what appear to be proportionately large prey, even if not capable of (easily) swallowing them. The distress signals (like a fish being reeled in)being enough to trigger an assault?

See below a tiny stripey which had a go at my surface lure at dusk one evening last year. look at its proportions in relation to the lure in the context of this discussion.

Mockerkinsmallperchonsurfacelureatduskjune2010.jpg

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Eyes-bigger-than-belly optimism, or maybe just aggression?

Maybe, as the late Dave Marlborough commented on catching a 4" trout on a spinner "I'm not sure if the motive was hunger, rape or get-off-my-patch"

Certainly the intention of the large perch that will follow a hooked 2 lb plus perch can't be that they hope to eat it. Maybe its more like "What's she got there ? Can I frighten her off it ?"

A bit like the way a Greater Black-backed Gull will try to bully a Herring Gull into giving up its meal.

RNLI Governor

look at its proportions in relation to the lure in the context of this discussion.

It would be more meaningful to look at the size of the bite-mark on the perch under discussion - it's over 2.5" wide.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor