How long until we run out of petrol

davedave

So now i'm learning to drive, and obviously very excited, but i have this horrible worry at the back of my mind that it won't be that long until petrol runs out, or gets so expensive that it's not worth digging for oil, or so expensive it's just not worth running a car anymore. How long do you think it is until we run out of oil? :unsure:

Then what, we'll all be driving automatic electric cars like dodgems.

I have a 1.2 clio and it costs about £50 - £60 to fill it up from empty, can it really be that long until it's £90 - £100?

I really want to drive and now i'm caught up with this stupid idea in my head and it's bugging me, anybody want to reassure me that it's a long time until the petrol runs out? :(

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the size of the oil sand reserves in Canada and Venezuela, we wont be running out anytime soon. The question is, will you be able to afford it given both the additional costs of extraction and the eccomomic state of this country ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

This is what worries me, if 20 years ago a full tank cost a tenner, now it costs roughly seven times that, how long until its over a hundred? :unsure:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

davedave,

When I was a pup your age gas (petrol) was $0.12 a gal. I guess with exchange rates, from the day that would be about a £0.05 a liter. In fact, I believe it was still sole in British gallons in those day.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Necessity is the mother if invention. Petrol has about run it's course for basic transportation I think? Just don't know what's on the "other side". In the meantime, it's hard on my fixed income as well. You're not alone.

Phone

Petrol is getting more expensive, but modern cars are far more economic than their predecessors.

It's idiots like me who insist on running around in old cars who suffer :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's idiots like me who insist on running around in old cars who suffer :D

Since you bought your latest toy Elton, analysts have downgraded their estimates of remaining petrol oil reserves significantly (increasing price pressure on everyone else!)

(Just as the estimates were inflated when news leaked that Elton had taken up cycling!)

:)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The imminent cessation of the oil supply has been predicted as long as I can remember - in fact, for much longer than I've lived.

Potted history of oil running out predictions here.

I think we are likely to see alternative energy sources coming online before we run out of oil. Electric power is going to become much more significant in cars, either as pure electric vehicles or as plug-in hybrids. There are problems with that though - we don't have the sustainable generating capacity in place or planned to power them.

I'm hoping for biofuels - not current ones, produced from agricultural crops, but next generation ones produced from dedicated (probably GM) organisms farmed outside traditional agricultural land. That's at least partly because I've not yet seen an electric car I want, though - the best of them so far was the Tesla, which was basically an electric Lotus Elise, inferior to the car it was based on and double the price.

The thing about UK fuel prices is that you have to remember that a large proportion of the pump price is tax. If you pay £1.35 a litre at the pump, that breaks down as 53.55p to extract, manufacture, distribute and sell the litre of fuel and 81.45p to the treasury. Because electricity is hardly taxed at all (5% VAT), electric cars look to be really cheap to run. Once people start switching en masse, though, and the treasury starts losing funds, a way will be found to tax electric car users too. Maybe road pricing, maybe a dedicated taxed socket, maybe a simple tiered tax rate on domestic electricity.

The imminent cessation of the oil supply has been predicted as long as I can remember - in fact, for much longer than I've lived.

Potted history of oil running out predictions here.

I think we are likely to see alternative energy sources coming online before we run out of oil. Electric power is going to become much more significant in cars, either as pure electric vehicles or as plug-in hybrids. There are problems with that though - we don't have the sustainable generating capacity in place or planned to power them.

I'm hoping for biofuels - not current ones, produced from agricultural crops, but next generation ones produced from dedicated (probably GM) organisms farmed outside traditional agricultural land. That's at least partly because I've not yet seen an electric car I want, though - the best of them so far was the Tesla, which was basically an electric Lotus Elise, inferior to the car it was based on and double the price.

The thing about UK fuel prices is that you have to remember that a large proportion of the pump price is tax. If you pay £1.35 a litre at the pump, that breaks down as 53.55p to extract, manufacture, distribute and sell the litre of fuel and 81.45p to the treasury. Because electricity is hardly taxed at all (5% VAT), electric cars look to be really cheap to run. Once people start switching en masse, though, and the treasury starts losing funds, a way will be found to tax electric car users too. Maybe road pricing, maybe a dedicated taxed socket, maybe a simple tiered tax rate on domestic electricity.

That's a pretty crappy study Steve. As far as I can see it takes no account if the predicted growth in consumption of fossil fuels by China and India. Personally I think that petro-chemicals will become too expensive to burn before we actually run out of them.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That's a pretty crappy study Steve. As far as I can see it takes no account if the predicted growth in consumption of fossil fuels by China and India. Personally I think that petro-chemicals will become too expensive to burn before we actually run out of them.

Only posted it for the potted history of oil running out predictions, Jim - I'm sure you also remember reading as a child that we were nearly out of oil.

Only posted it for the potted history of oil running out predictions, Jim - I'm sure you also remember reading as a child that we were nearly out of oil.
It's not an if it's a when Steve. I still reckon the stuff will be far to expensive to burn before it actually runs pout.

http://www.321energy.com/editorials/taylor/taylor040307.html

http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/1139..._the/index.html

There are LOTS of big elephants in this room ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote