Anyone know what this is?

Howard 13

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That gill cover looks like something I accidentally came across on a disgusting website - somebody else must obviously have keyed the address in when I wasn't looking.

Black spot is the result of a small, harmless parasite. Nearly all the roach on the river Glen used to have them - when there were still roach in the river Glen. They all disappeared through reckless lowering of the water levels though, rather than through disease.

[ 01. September 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

quote:

on a kind of related note ... do you see the little black spot on the bottom right of the pectoral fin (think thats right) .... i have recently started fishing a canal, and the roach are covered in these ... any ideas?
we had a delivery of welsh roach all had these black spots,The EA guy wasent bothered (well he actually wasent bothered to get out of his car and gave a bucket full a cursory glance :rolleyes: ) it is a disease but not fatal so i was informed :confused:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

a few of the bream in my loacal water have them the bream in my local are big, and i fish it all the time because i bacicully live round it. (in a house not a bivvy!) i have caught the same bream with these red things a few times and they apear to heal up. i think they are caused because bream rub there heads on the bottom, and they somtimes cut them selves which then turn infected but im probably wrong!? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Would have thought a smear of Orabase would do more good than harm if you land a fish with this again...

Looks like a pretty mank ulcer to me - but the infection seems to be beginning to heal around the edges, unless the pink is spreading necrosis (which is a very bad thing).

try looking here,Not For The Faint Hearted !!!!!

Fish disease & diagnosis

Fish Diseases

don't view while eating

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hey, about the black spot thing. Black spot is a condition caused by a parasitic worm living in roach and silverfish in general.The mature worm lives in the digestive tract of the fish. the black spot that you can see is the cyst that the larvae of the worm occupies. each spot is a little worm!!!

hope that clears that up (posted by an environmental biology student)