Animal Protection

malevans

Too true Graham! My cat must rank amongst the most prolific of all serial killers! Several birds a week, a few slow worms and the occaisional orfe fall foul to this evil monster.Its a total disgrace that we stand by and just let nature take its course.............. :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allibee

just think Budgie, if we didn't keep cats as companions the feral population would explode and would go out and kill all day every day, as they are naturally inclined to do

Funnily enough the RSPCA platinum credit card has a very adorable kitten on it

Guest sslatter

allibee:

I have 3 cats

That doesn't surprise me at all.

allibee:

If you love wildlife so much, why do you stick a hook in a fish ... for YOUR pleasure?    

Double standards at its worst

:mad:                :P  

Okay. I don't think a fish feels the hook, an observation made by hooking and playing fish whilst remaining hidden from the fish itself: you can actually hook, play, and land a fish without it even realising that its in any "danger", until the appearance of the landing net.

Yet you obviously think that a fish does feel pain from the hook, which begs the observation:

So YOU think angling is cruel to fish? And you STILL do it?

allibee:

My cat must rank amongst the most prolific of all serial killers! Several birds a week, a few slow worms and the occaisional orfe fall foul to this evil monster.Its a total disgrace that we stand by and just let nature take its course..............

Your ignorance does you no service: "..let nature take its course." Are you not aware of the fact that the domestic cat has been ARTIFICIALLY introduced into the environment? Nothing natural whatsoever about its presence. Typical "cat-lover's" narrow-minded selfish thinking.

And back to allibee:

allibee:

..if we didn't keep cats as companions the feral population would explode and would go out and kill all day every day, as they are naturally inclined to do

Well..if we had never kept cats, there wouldn't be a feral population.

If we DIDN'T keep cats, we'd soon eradicate any ferals.

So your argument is a non-argument.

[ 10. July 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest allibee

What a **** you are making yourself look

Eradicating ferals eh?

so... you are up for culling wild animals now?

The difference cats do it as that's what they are created to do ... what's your excuse?

Just because YOU don't think fish feel any pain in the lips doesn't mean to say they don't ... NO ONE from the scientific world has thoroughly proved it either way, but obviously YOU know better ... no doubt you'll be publishing your doctorate on it soon.

I never said I didn't like inflicting pain on fish if that's what I'm doing :)

And as for saying fish don't know they are in danger til they see the net ... what a complete load of ******. What do the fish you catch do, just carry on as if nothing has happened, they don't try to fight? What baits are you using ... Prozac?

[ 10. July 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: allibee ]

Guest sslatter

allibee:

What a **** you are making yourself look

Hey..take a long hard look in the mirror.

allibee:

Eradicating ferals eh? so... you are up for culling wild animals now?

Well, yes..if they are feral cats (ex-domestics as opposed to our Scottish wildcat), most definitely.

allibee:

The difference cats do it as that's what they are created to do ... what's your excuse?

1) The domestic cat was bred as a pet, not "created" for any other purpose;

2) What's my excuse? You seem to be implying that I go out and kill things, like a domestic cat does. A totally-pointless remark, which does you no service whatsoever.

allibee:

Just because YOU don't think fish feel any pain in the lips doesn't mean to say they don't ... NO ONE from the scientific world has thoroughly proved it either way, but obviously YOU know better ... no doubt you'll be publishing your doctorate on it soon.

And as for saying fish don't know they are in danger til they see the net ... what a complete load of ******. What do the fish you catch do, just carry on as if nothing has happened, they don't try to fight? What baits are you using ... Prozac?

As I wrote before, this observation was made through years of angling, 43 years of practical empirical experience. I do not make such remarks glibly, and I totally stand by it. Just last Tuesday, I demonstrated this very same thing to a friend whilst out mullet fishing. Keep out of sight, stay calm, and that fish will not even realise that it's in any danger, until the appearance of the landing net.

You obviously haven't had the learning experience that I have, and your trite dismissal just goes to show that you are rather lacking in certain angling knowledge and experience.

Which brings me to a very important point:

There have been posters on here before, whose sole intent has been to stir up things between anglers and antis. Some have professed to be anglers, but their postings did not corroborate this.

So..I do wonder about you and others like you, allibee, especially when you post such a remark as:

allibee:

I never said I didn't like inflicting pain on fish if that's what I'm doing     :)  

If you ARE an angler, you should be ashamed of yourself for that remark. Such dross just serves to fuel anti-angling sentiment.

Yet.. if you're not, and your sole intention has been to surreptitiously besmirch angling, you couldn't have done a better job.

Well done.

[ 10. July 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Back to the matter in hand, I read the press association article in Leon's link. Where does it say that protection is being extended to insects and other invertebrates?

As to cats, at the moment cats are classed as ownerless by law and owners are not responsible for anything a cat does. It's commonsense really because you can't train cats to do what we want them to like dogs.

[ 10. July 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Guest allibee

And there was I think YOU were the stirrer after making such pathetic remarks about other living things than the ones you like

So ... when you have finished getting rid if the cat population, how do you intend to deal with all the wild birds that thoughtlessly and wilfully slaughter all those innocent worms and grubs? :rolleyes:

I also enjoy live-baiting for catfish, pike and perch by the way

I think you are the authority on dross

Kill off one species to save another? hmmm ...rrrrrrrrrrrrright

FYI cats in this country spread from their use as WORKING animal, and they were bred to kill on farms etc. This has been a practice since the early Egyptian times where cats were revered for guarding the harvests from pollution by rats.

Unlike birds, at least they have a use in life

The RSPCA that you like to quote advocate keeping cats as companions.

You are the one who stirred up things on the thread with your anti cat remarks actually

p.s Anyone of the 1000's and 1,000's of anglers who brought Anglers Mail on 29th May this year knows I am an angler ... and quite probably the fact that I have huge boobs from the front cover I was festooned over with my lovely tinca.

[ 10. July 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: allibee ]

Guest sslatter

allibee:

Kill off one species to save another? hmmm ...rrrrrrrrrrrrright

Errr.. NO! To save thousands of others, not just one.

allibee:

FYI cats in this country spread from their use as WORKING animal, and they were bred to kill on farms etc. This has been a practice since the early Egyptian times where cats were revered for guarding the harvests from pollution by rats.

Aaaah..chinese whispers. Wasn't it Pope who said: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

You ought to get your facts straight, before you put your foot in it:

The hordes of cats who used to frequent the Egyptian grain stores were a natural species of wild desert cat, which is now extinct.

These ancient egyptians soon found that this cat was easily domesticated, but..

The Egyptians had a goddess called Bast, who was portrayed as having a cat's head, so they believed that the cat was a sacred animal and had "divinity", and as such, during a large part of ancient egyptian history, the only people who were allowed to keep a pet domesticated cat were the Pharaoh and his direct family (to strengthen their links to "divinity") and certain priests. These cats were kept and subsequently bred as pampered pets and nothing else. Most if not all european domestic cats can be genetically-traced to this ancient desert species.

So..for YOUR information, the domestic cat was introduced as a pet first and foremost. Nothing whatsoever to do with it being a "working animal".

allibee:

Unlike birds, at least they have a use in life

Keep up with remarks like that. The antis will love it.

allibee:

You are the one who stirred up things on the thread with your anti cat remarks actually

Well, I've obviously stirred you up matey, but just read back, and you'll see that it was you who brought angling into it.

[ 10. July 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest allibee

Well, you tell that to my farm owning family who have kept working cats for hundreds of years ... or in fact any other farm owner who has kept cats for the sole purpose of keeping vermin away!

Bringing angling into ... well, this IS an angling site and you do purport to be an angler.

And if you check back over the thread you will see I'm not the only one who found your first post on the matter totally ludicrous

Ummm so, how ARE you going to save all the innocent worms and grubs then after you've extinguished the domestic cat population ... matey?

And on the subject of antis (something you keep bringing into it), I'm sure they will have a field day with all your anti animal remarks

[ 10. July 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: allibee ]