Mission accomplished

Anderoo

One of my targets this autumn was a decent (2lb+) perch on either the drop-shotting or the little jigs. Well, today I did just that :) It was a quick session in the middle of the day between jobs (the paint tin said leave 4 hours before the second coat, perfect) and was quite hard work, with a blustery wind making presentation difficult. However, my new favourite perch spot - a short, deep section on a bend - was sheltered, so I could at least fish there properly.

It wasn't many casts with an 8cm kopyto on a 5g jig head that this smacked into it:

DSCF2169.jpg

2lb 13oz, my biggest lure-caught perch, a target achieved, and a fish I'm very proud of :)

It hit it really hard under the rod tip, just as the lure was fluttering down on its final drop of the retrieve, it scared the crap out of me! Very exciting.

I scratched out another small perch from there on the drop-shot, and on the way back had a tiny pike, also on the drop-shot. That was a violent take too, it hit it on the drop next to the far bank and for a second I thought I had a big perch. Ah well, all good fun :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done Anderoo - we struggled today. The only fish we caught was a tiny perch, while trotting maggot in the vain hope of procuring some livies. A shame that the only perch came to a catch-at-all-costs method, but we wanted some bleak! :whistling:

Well done Anderoo - we struggled today. The only fish we caught was a tiny perch, while trotting maggot in the vain hope of procuring some livies. A shame that the only perch came to a catch-at-all-costs method, but we wanted some bleak! :whistling:

The bleak have done their disappearing act have they, I thought they might hang around a bit longer as it's not cold yet. Fickle little sods :rolleyes: It was tough out there today, I got the feeling we're now entering that 'not many but bigger' part of the year. This stretch a couple of weeks ago produced a dozen small perch one after another, it was like shelling peas. Let's hope we can find a few more bigguns before the rivers fill up and the temperatures plummet, and the chub start calling...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo well done cracking fish ,Right thats it next time i am waiting for the paint to dry before recoating it`s grab the rod .....working at the vets in Pangbourne next week :) .

We did struggle big time another boat that had the prime spot and had been there a couple of days had caught 13 Pike on lives up to 18lb so they were feeding just not on our lures .

Makes you jump big time when they hit under the rod tip or as soon as it lands don`t it :lol: ,Not bad for a method with no feel or finesse eh? :rolleyes: .

You have some of them there red finned Perch in your bit mate ,Strange how they are Orange in my bit?? well done again Steve.

Does the Perch have some faint stab marks on it`s back??

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

One of my targets this autumn was a decent (2lb+) perch on either the drop-shotting or the little jigs. Well, today I did just that :) It was a quick session in the middle of the day between jobs (the paint tin said leave 4 hours before the second coat, perfect) and was quite hard work, with a blustery wind making presentation difficult. However, my new favourite perch spot - a short, deep section on a bend - was sheltered, so I could at least fish there properly.

It wasn't many casts with an 8cm kopyto on a 5g jig head that this smacked into it:

2lb 13oz, my biggest lure-caught perch, a target achieved, and a fish I'm very proud of :)

It hit it really hard under the rod tip, just as the lure was fluttering down on its final drop of the retrieve, it scared the crap out of me! Very exciting.

I scratched out another small perch from there on the drop-shot, and on the way back had a tiny pike, also on the drop-shot. That was a violent take too, it hit it on the drop next to the far bank and for a second I thought I had a big perch. Ah well, all good fun :)

Hi Andrew,

Glad to see that your still pulling them out!

What kind of retrieve did you get your perch on. Steady retrieve or a were you hopping (Jigging) it along the bottom?

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Check how fat that perch is!!

Tip-top Anders.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Does the Perch have some faint stab marks on it`s back??

Yes, the other side a was worse. Virtually every perch so far has had this damage.

Ant, I was letting it drop on a tight line, giving it a couple of fast turns of the reel handle so it 'swims' up, letting it drop again on a tight line, repeat. They mostly hit it as its fluttering down, which is why the wind makes it hard to detect the takes.

Yes, the other side a was worse. Virtually every perch so far has had this damage.

Ant, I was letting it drop on a tight line, giving it a couple of fast turns of the reel handle so it 'swims' up, letting it drop again on a tight line, repeat. They mostly hit it as its fluttering down, which is why the wind makes it hard to detect the takes.

Thanks Andrew, heading out tomorrow morning for Zander primarily but if that proves to be slow going then perch is a likely alternative.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Nice one Anderoo.

Just had a still-water session at you-know-where. Lobs, not drop-shot though.

Day One One eel 2lb twenty minutes after arrival

Day Two Five 1 lb perch all crammed into twenty minutes.

Masterly inactivity the rest of the time. ;)

River fishing this week.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...