Rivers

lyn

I've managed to get out fishing 3 times this week. Fished the Basingstoke canal with Liam and his friend on Monday all had a few 'tiddlers'. Friday Laim and I fished the Loddon at Dinton pastures, neither of us had a bite. Yesterday I was a guest of a friend on the river and we fished up until 8pm and again not a bite between us. I tried everything from maggots to boilies inc nice big fat juicy lob worms and nothing!

Anyone else struggling? Admittedly I was fishing two rivers where bites don't come often but when they do they are worth the wait!

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

lyn,

Don't be discouraged. It is the journey.

Phone

Don't worry phone I've been fishing far to long to let something like this put me off. Despite not catching I've had three nice sessions in good company which is worth no end of fish!! lol

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

You got any Otters Lyn ;);):rolleyes:

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

even stockbridge is hard this time of year this year ,even the resident over the winter regular who catches from ice holes is blanking

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's the same here too Lyn, we need a load of rain to flush the rivers through and liven them up, until then it's scratching time.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've noticed the fishing has slowed down dramatically since the drop in temp's. We've had rain but I think it's cold water and so rather than spark the fish up I think it's knocked them back. I had several hours trotting yesterday and did get a few chub up to 2 1/2lb, some very nice dace and a couple of small roach. Nothing exciting but better than a blank which I think will be on the cards on my next trip or two.

Oh...forgot to mention that the swim I caught most fish from was the very one where I saw an otter recently :D .

Edited by Tigger

I've noticed the fishing has slowed down dramatically since the drop in temp's. We've had rain but I think it's cold water and so rather than spark the fish up I think it's knocked them back. I had several hours trotting yesterday and did get a few chub up to 2 1/2lb, some very nice dace and a couple of small roach. Nothing exciting but better than a blank which I think will be on the cards on my next trip or two.

Oh...forgot to mention that the swim I caught most fish from was the very one where I saw an otter recently :D .

hi in relation to fishing on rivers at the mo ,i,ve been fishing the nidd in yorkshire ,instead of fishing early i have been going at 3pm and fishing until around 9pm with very good results my last trip i landed 7 chub 2 around 4lb and five trout ,method has been maggot feeder with some frenzied garlic hemp mixed with dry crushed hemp,as i work i.m limited to fishing weekends but the last 5-6 trips have been worth it,l8tr i will switch to bread again flavored with garlic and adopt a roving approach with the bomb as its been very succsesfull in the past .my terminal tackle is simple drennan flat feeder , maggot or cage depending on the conditions 8lb main line and 6lb hooklength as the areas i fish are snaggy,the line is reflo power max.size 14 kamasan animal hook for maggot and size 8 of the same for bread .my rod is a ron thomson c-14 heavy feeder and my reel is the okuma epix pro a nice balanced outfit.i realise this might not work elsewhere but its worth a try .

Guest redfin2

Hi it's my first post on AN so hopefully the first of many. I love to trot a float down o perhaps use a light 'tip', but it can be a bit slow this time of year, so I would look for water with a bit of pace, the canal would not fill me with confidence :)

Remember to feed little and often, and perhaps use a smaller bait, maggotts for me are the best fish catcher after rain worm is especially good, and of course bread at most times.

So Lyn I would say if you want some action head for the rivers, and look for some flow, below the weirs are always a good starting point.

Rivers last week here end were gin clear.... 1 st problem.

Rivers last week end here were very low ....2 nd problem

I ended up down on 18 and 20 hooks, wading to the opposite of streams to run the float down that side of the stream and fishing rafts of weed (just holding back outside the raft to tempt out a dace or chub) to catch anything much.

"Muddlin' along"